TCD Question #25 ~ Book vs. Movie

by Arturo Perez-Reverte

Moderator: Liz

nebraska

Re: TCD Question #25 ~ Book vs. Movie

Unread postby nebraska » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:39 am

Kittycat88 wrote:I have said this about 50 times by now, but I didn't like or believe ES in the role. She had the wrong physique. It was always rumored but never acknowledged that Polanski had Vanessa on the short list of possibles for the role of The Girl. Supposedly he dismissed her as too fragile looking for the role.

I cant imagine what the chemistry would have been like with VP, but we will never know.

I liked the Girl better in the book. But I like Corso better in the movie...

I wonder if Johnny knows what a Corso club he has here !! I have often daydreamed about when he is older -- 50'sh-- if Johnny would ever do another movie about the character?? Just a daydream.

I actually liked ES in the role and I think that is how I will always see her, I had a hard time believing her as the "wife" in Diving Bell and Butterfly. I thought she had a lovely mysterious smile and the special effects with the green eyes were really good. The fight scenes would have been less believable if she was a tiny thing. She is not Johnny's waify type of woman, but I think she worked as Corso's woman.

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:53 am

Agreed. I think ES's look worked for the film for the most part. It was a little forced in places; alittle too mysterious and otherworldly. But then, I thought a lot of the movie was a little forced in that regard. And as I said before, of all the casting choices, I thought Lena Olin missed the mark more than any other. (However, I loved the portrayal of the twin book-binder brothers! They were great!) I can't quite envision Vanessa as Green Eyes - too delicate and refined. But maybe it would've worked. Certainly the chemistry between her and Johnny as Corso would've worked, and that would've been something to see! Wow! :heart:
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa
savvy avi by mamabear

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:53 pm

I have to agree with Nebraska and Parlez. I think ES worked for the film. I remember thinking while I was watching the movie the first time that this actress (whoever she was) was perfect for this role. And it made it hard for me to envision Irene Adler in the book. I kept seeing ES. I liked her a lot in La Vie en Rose, too.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

radwen

Unread postby radwen » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:56 am

Well, hopefully better late than never :lol: So here is my answer...

I liked the book much better than the movie and was quite surprised by it. The added plot line with the Dumas manuscript and the different development of the Balkan character added a much needed depth to the story. (IMHO.)

The movie is not one of my favorites and my opinion of book vs. movie might be affected by that fact.

Also want to add that I really enjoyed this discussion. Once again the ONBC mods have done a wonderful job with tidbits and questions. Thank you.
Now Bring Me That Horizon

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:35 pm

radwen wrote:Well, hopefully better late than never :lol: So here is my answer...

I liked the book much better than the movie and was quite surprised by it. The added plot line with the Dumas manuscript and the different development of the Balkan character added a much needed depth to the story. (IMHO.)

The movie is not one of my favorites and my opinion of book vs. movie might be affected by that fact.

Also want to add that I really enjoyed this discussion. Once again the ONBC mods have done a wonderful job with tidbits and questions. Thank you.

Its never too late to comment, radwen. I am glad you came along to fill the time on ONBC until our next adventure. It also didn't hurt that I agreed with all of your remarks. :grin:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:19 pm

Agreed! It's alway nice to get your feedback, radwen. :cool: I hope you'll be joining the discussion of A Moveable Feast.
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa

savvy avi by mamabear

Return to “The Club Dumas”