TDB&TB Question #24 ~ Johnny as Jean-Do

by Jean-Dominique Bauby

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

TDB&TB Question #24 ~ Johnny as Jean-Do

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed May 28, 2008 7:47 am

How do you think Johnny would have portrayed Jean-Do?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Wed May 28, 2008 11:09 am

Perfectly! :grin:
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed May 28, 2008 11:31 am

Good answer, Betty Sue! :lol:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Wed May 28, 2008 1:07 pm

I saw the movie 6 months ago, so I can't be really specific, but I know I posted at the time that I was glad Johnny wasn't in it. I know I've seen him disfigured and have seen him die in several movies, but I think it would have been too emotionally harrowing to see him in this. He would have been too perfect--and I would have found it devastating.

I know that's not an explanation of how Johnny's portrayal would have differed, but it's an explanation of why I don't want to think about Johnny's portrayal of Jean-Do.

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Wed May 28, 2008 2:05 pm

I agree. It was devastating enough to watch an actor I didn't know play the part; to see Johnny in that condition would've been too much.
As far as Johnny bringing something else/different to the part, I don't know - it was a pretty clear-cut role, IMO. There wasn't a lot of room for interpretation, except maybe in the flashbacks. But as far as Jean-Do after the stroke, I don't see how it could've been played much differently. Of course, it took a highly skilled, talented actor to pull it off, and I've no doubt Johnny could've done it. I'm just glad fate intervened and he didn't.
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa
savvy avi by mamabear

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed May 28, 2008 2:10 pm

I am on the other side of that fence. Seeing The Libertine (and Sweeney Todd) about did me in but I was so glad he agreed to do the movies. He is just such a talented actor when it comes to body language, facial expression and nuance, I can't help but wonder what he would have done with Jean-Do. It also would have been interesting to see him do a film in French. I do want to say that Mathieu Amalric did a superb job!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

es

Unread postby es » Wed May 28, 2008 2:45 pm

Same side as DITHOT,I would have lovedto see Johnny in this part.
Because of the emotional impact it would have.
But indeed this actor did a beautiful job.
Greets,
es
who laughs the last didnt got the joke,
freek&sjaak

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed May 28, 2008 3:12 pm

I'm with you, es & DITHOT. I would have loved to have seen Johnny play this role and to hear him speak in French. I remember worrying that I wouldn't be able to stand seeing him suffering in the Libertine and dying in Sweeney Todd. But I could handle it, knowing it is just a role. I guess I like to see just how far Johnny can be stretched. I like to see him display his brilliance. But this is not to take away from Mathieu Amalric's brilliance as Jean-Do. After viewing his performance, I think it is a shame that the Academy did not give him a nod.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Wed May 28, 2008 3:40 pm

I cast my vote on the side of "wish Johnny could have done it."

I remember when there was first talk about Johnny playing the role of a paralyzed man who can just move one eyelid and I thought "you must be kidding!" :-? Now that I have read the book and have seen the movie, I understand what Johnny saw in it. And I guess my desire to see him play Jean-Do is based just on that, Johnny's desire to do it. His choices are so good and this would have been a challenging role for sure! I don't know what he would have done any different, the acting was brilliant! I just know it would have been fabulous.

After seeing what happened to him physically in the Libertine, I think I could handle just about anything.

suec

Unread postby suec » Wed May 28, 2008 5:06 pm

Amalric was very good and also well cast, but Johnny could have used his one eye to better effect, I think. I would have liked to see him in the role - but then there are a lot of other parts I want to see him play too.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

songbird

Johnny as jean-do

Unread postby songbird » Wed May 28, 2008 6:12 pm

I read an interview with Ronald Harwood, the screenwriter of Diving Bell (he was nominated for an Oscar), and he talked about meeting Johnny at the Finding Neverland premiere. Johnny took both of his hands in his and said something like, "Beautiful screenplay. Can't wait to do it." And afterwards, Harwood turned to his wife and said, "I know actors, and I know that look. He's never going to do it." So that makes me wonder if it wasn't a matter of scheduling, but maybe Johnny had some qualms about it, and he let it slip away on purpose. I do think Julian Schnabel made the film he wanted to make. Would it have been great to see Johnny do it? Oh yeah. :-/

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed May 28, 2008 7:11 pm

That's interesting!

:welcome: to ONBC, Songbird.

songbird

Unread postby songbird » Wed May 28, 2008 8:50 pm

Thanks Liz! You guys are lots of fun!

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Wed May 28, 2008 10:05 pm

I am one of those that was not crazy about Johnny in this role. After seeing it though I know he would have been great. It was a good movie but with him in the part, as impossible as it seems , it would have been more sad. I can see him in the flashbacks and his beauty would have made the film even more touching. I would really hate to see him in the hospital but I guess that is the point of the film.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Return to “The Diving Bell and the Butterfly”