TDB&TB Question #21 - Your Thoughts on the Film

by Jean-Dominique Bauby

Moderator: Liz

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Tue May 27, 2008 12:02 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Listening to the alphabet really brought home how difficult it must have been to write/transcribe the book and the tremendous amount of patience it required!

I thought I'd end up being exhausted and unnerved by the constant repetition of the alphabet. I thought it would become tedious and distracting. But it didn't. Instead, what came up for me was a sense of intimacy via the sound of the human voice. Like a mother repeating soothing sounds to calm her infant, the repeated sounds of the alphabet were comforting, revealing another human being closeby. So that turned out to be more satisfying for me that I thought. In fact, I'd say the alphabet had a starring role in the movie, not only for the reasons you give, DitHoT, but also because the sounds themselves told Jean-Do he was not alone; the verbal repetition of the alphabet became his lifeline in more ways than one.
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa
savvy avi by mamabear

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Wed May 28, 2008 9:49 pm

I have forced myself to stay away form ONBC when I saw the film question. It is not as easy as it seems to keep away from my daily habit but I did. I had the DVD but had not had the time to watch it. I wanted to be alone so I could get the most out of it and I finally got the time.
First. I was not prepared to be so sad. I think I cried through most of this film. I thought I would not, since I had seen the book but the film was more sad to me. I was really upset that his last love did not visit in the film, and truly glad that we learned this was not the case. I did love Claude Mendilbil.
I really liked the way he talked to Empress Eugenie and thought they handled that great in the film. The alphabet was tedious but it really was needed to show how hard he had to work to communicate. I thought the mother of his children was great too and she really showed she loved him and was still jealous of his mistress and how hard the situation was. The movie shown through his eyes was truly the best way to see it and appreciate his view of life. The movie did really have an effect on me but since I read the book first I think it buffered the effect it would have had.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Return to “The Diving Bell and the Butterfly”