TDB&TB Question #13 ~ The Dream

by Jean-Dominique Bauby

Moderator: Liz

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Tue May 20, 2008 11:12 am

Bon jour, Mantras! I'm catching up... :sailboat:...after a very inspiring time in Portland. I love what everyone has said about Jean-Do's dream! It (dreams) seem to be one aspect of 'wellness' that uniformly gets ignored by the health care establishment. But as you all have expressed so well, dreams can be very informative as to what's going on inside the patient's head...if not literally, figuratively or thematically.

I'll only add the things I underlined in this chapter:

the strike - he mentions this twice; that the stikers are preventing him from going where he wants to go and therefore he and Bernard end up in the 'desolate landscape'. I think the French are used to general strikes taking place fairly regularly, and I would guess they can be pretty disruptive, frustrating and annoying - so this bit of the dream could reflect that reality as well as representing the fact that his consciousness has gone on strike, which would have the same results.

clothing - not having the 'right' clothes (ie, clothes that aren't suited for the weather) often reflects the person's concerns about how prepared he is to survive. None of the articles of clothing Jean-Do sees or is wearing are appropriate for the scene he finds himself in.

shoes - are very important in dreams because they symbolized to what extent the person feels 'grounded'. Jean-Do was wearing 'thin city shoes'. Also the reference to the 'glass stairs' shows he's no longer grounded in any concrete way. The surface he walks on is fragile, likely to shatter.

shock - I don't know why, but I think it's significant that he uses this word to describe the High Voltage warning but also to describe Karadzic's hair!

the Lebanese woman - represents what is dark, foreign, exotic and entirely 'other' (although Jean-Do might have actually known some Lebanese women in his real life, in which case it would mean something else.) Either way, he is rendered helpless in her (under) world where she is the 'hostess'. He must be carried out on her back. (interesting - his dependence on the female for rescue)

Other than that, like you all have said, this is an amazing account of what happens to the mind/body when it is put under stress, tension, shock, and taken away...and then brought back by a 'mysterious cult'.
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa
savvy avi by mamabear

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue May 20, 2008 3:07 pm

Welcome back, Parlez! I'm glad your conference was so successful. Goodness knows that's not always the case! :zzz:

Your point about the shoes and the glass staircase is interesting. What does it mean if someone is barefoot in a dream? I've read that flying in a dream means you are feeling self confident. The mind is truly an amazing thing.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Tue May 20, 2008 4:35 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:What does it mean if someone is barefoot in a dream?

Like most interpretations of dreams, it depends on the context. But if someone dreams they are walking barefoot, say in a forest or along a path, well, that's about as 'grounded' as you can get. There's nothing between you and your 'ground of being'. Such a person would be very connected to the planet in a natural, stable and confident way.
However, that's assuming the scene isn't Siberia! Then you'd definitely want to be wearing something on your tootsies!

savvy avi by mamabear

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Tue May 20, 2008 4:52 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Welcome back, Parlez! I'm glad your conference was so successful. Goodness knows that's not always the case! :zzz:

Thanks for the welcome back, DiThoT! And, as usual with conferences, it's not so much what happens during the day but what goes on after hours that's rewarding, right? In this case, I got to meet Viggo Mortenson at the Howard Zinn 'Voices of the People' event on Friday night! WooHee! That had absolutely nothing to do with elder health care, but it/he sure made the trip to Portland complete for moi!
:thud:

savvy avi by mamabear

Return to “The Diving Bell and the Butterfly”