TDB&TB Question #12 ~ Favorite Passages

by Jean-Dominique Bauby

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

TDB&TB Question #12 ~ Favorite Passages

Unread postby Liz » Fri May 16, 2008 10:15 am

Yesterday we talked about his writing. Let's get more specific today. Share your favorite passages?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Fri May 16, 2008 10:41 am

I have so many. Will start with two. The first, no doubt, is PE-influenced. :blush:

As three orderlies laid me back down, I thought of movie gangsters struggling to fit the slain informer's body into the trunk of their car.

And the sweet:

Yet all these lofty protections are merely clay ramparts, walls of sand, Maginot lines, compared to the small prayer my daughter, Celeste, sends up to her Lord every evening before she closes her eyes. Since we fall asleep at roughly the same hour, I set out for the kingdom of slumber with this wonderful talisman, which shields me from all harm. :cloud9:
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri May 16, 2008 3:38 pm

Betty Sue, thanks for posting these. I had forgotten both of these great quotes. Very :cool:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Fri May 16, 2008 3:52 pm

Okay, then, here are some more. The first is at the end of a chapter; I thought every chapter ended strongly.

If I must drool, I may as well drool on cashmere.

Anything with the kids. :bawl:

Grief surges over me. His face not two feet from mine, my son Theophile sits patiently waiting---and I, his father, have lost the simple right to ruffle his bristly hair, clasp his downy neck, hug his small, lithe, warm body right against me. There are no words to express it. My condition is monstrous, iniquitous, revolting, horrible. Suddenly I can take no more. Tears well and my throat emits a hoarse rattle that startles Theophile. Don't be scared, little man. I love you."
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Fri May 16, 2008 4:15 pm

Here are a few of his lines that I enjoyed or thought very clever.

Self description: and to complete the picture, a niche must be found for us, broken-winged birds, voiceless parrots, ravens of doom., who have made our nest in a dead-end corridor of the neurology department.

Sarcasm: A nurse will be in before the world comes to an end.
If I must drool, I might as well drool on cashmere. (oops I see BettySue beat me to this one.)

Pride: I would have to rely on myself if I wanted to prove my IQ was higher than a turnip.

Outlook: My present life is divided between those who knew me before and all the others.

Humor referring to a fly he tries to keep off his nose: Olympic wrestling is child's play compared to this.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri May 16, 2008 5:25 pm

As I looked through my book I found I had highlighted several of the phrases we have already discussed and several that have been mentioned on this thread.

I will choose this one from pg 97

"when blessed silence returns, I can listen to the butterflies that flutter inside my head. To hear them one must be calm and pay close attention. ... This is astonishing: my hearing does not improve, yet I hear them better and better. I must have butterfly hearing."

and from page 17

"But I see in the clothing a symbol of continuing life. And proof that I still want to be myself."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri May 16, 2008 11:24 pm

Great quotes so far!

You gotta laugh at this one. It, too, ends a chapter:

And to crown it all, the end of my urinary catheter has become detached and I am drenched. Awaiting rescue, I hum an old song by Henri Salvador: "Don't you fret, baby, it'll be all right." And here comes the nurse. Automatically, she turns on the TV. A commercial, with a personal computer spelling out the question: "Were you born lucky?"

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri May 16, 2008 11:55 pm

Since several of my favorites are going to be quesitons I'll mention this one that reminds me of a certain someone...

"Like the bath, my old clothes could easily bring back poignant, painful memories. But I see in the clothing a symbol of cointinuing life. And proof that I still want to be myself... (ending with the cashmere quote)
Last edited by DeppInTheHeartOfTexas on Sat May 17, 2008 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

suec

Unread postby suec » Sat May 17, 2008 4:42 am

Humour
When I began my diet a week before my stroke I never dreamed of such a dramatic result.

Lined up like a row of onions, this human throng waves arms and legs

So fervent was the atmosphere that a casual observer might have thought himself outside Parc des Princes during a European Cup match (about Lourdes)

Choice of words for the account when he is first placed in his wheelchair:
seized me; dumped me unceremoniously; made me travel; devastated by this brutal downgrading of my future hopes

Telling summary of character in a sentence:
Joséphine was the kind of person who was prepared to do what it takes to get her own way.

Powerful description:
The head of a man who seemed to have emerged from a vat of formaldehyde…One eye was sewn shut, the other goggled like the doomed eye of Cain.

But my #1 fav:
I saw it: tall, robust and reassuring, in red and white stripes that reminded me of a rugby shirt. I at once placed myself under the protection of this brotherly symbol, guardian not just of sailors but of the sick – those castaways on the shores of loneliness….
And then it is the hour when the day fades, when the last train sets out for Paris, when I have to return to my room. I wait for winter. Warmly wrapped up, we can linger here till nightfall, watch the sun set and the lighthouse take up its torch, its hope-filled beams sweeping the horizon. :thud:
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat May 17, 2008 1:05 pm

suec wrote:But my #1 fav:
I saw it: tall, robust and reassuring, in red and white stripes that reminded me of a rugby shirt. I at once placed myself under the protection of this brotherly symbol, guardian not just of sailors but of the sick – those castaways on the shores of loneliness….
And then it is the hour when the day fades, when the last train sets out for Paris, when I have to return to my room. I wait for winter. Warmly wrapped up, we can linger here till nightfall, watch the sun set and the lighthouse take up its torch, its hope-filled beams sweeping the horizon. :thud:

I love that. :cloud9: Gatsby comes to mind…..and Hunter.

I think it’s the quotes that I can relate to that I liked the best:

Meanwhile, I am savoring this last week of August with a heart that is almost light, because for the first time in a long while I don’t have that awful sense of a countdown—the feeling triggered at the beginning of a vacation that inevitably spoils a good part of it.

suec

Unread postby suec » Sat May 17, 2008 1:54 pm

Yeah! :lol:
I can certainly relate to that one!
It reminded me of Hunter too, Liz. The last paragraph of The Rum Diary, which also happens to be one of my favourites. That and Shantaram.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Return to “The Diving Bell and the Butterfly”