TDB&TB Question #10 ~ Imagination

by Jean-Dominique Bauby

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

TDB&TB Question #10 ~ Imagination

Unread postby Liz » Wed May 14, 2008 11:43 am

This is a two-part question:

a)There have been many of examples of Jean-Do’s use of imagination to get him through. I know many of you have been on the edge of bursting over this subject. So go for it….. Take it as far as you want to go….about Jean-Do or those in his situation, about yourself and beyond….

b) In the Chapter entitled, The Ladies of Hong Kong, Jean-Do flies to far away places in his head. Are there places that you like to go in your head when you are on long drives, on a walk, can’t sleep at night? What are they? Describe them if you wish.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Wed May 14, 2008 6:15 pm

I sometimes re-visit places I have been on vacation and really enjoyed - like Seattle's Pike Street Market. But to be honest, I don't do that sort of day dreaming often ...... maybe that is why my stress level is so high these days. :banghead:

Sometimes I dream about the farm where I grew up. I haven't lived there for over 40 years and it always surprises me when I wake up and realize I have visited that farm during the night. I know the place has changed a lot, I have heard that the house I grew up in (which was also the house my mother grew up in) has been demolished to make room for a new house. But in my dreams, it is always just as it was when I was a child -- and I think I am also a child in those dreams because I seem pretty short. There must be some meaning to that -- perhaps simpler more secure times in my life. :-?

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed May 14, 2008 7:54 pm

Thanks for starting us off, Nebraska.

Oh boy…..dreams. I just love to analyze them. And your analysis seems right on. :cool: I can put myself at Pikes Place Market right now too, circa 1982.

I used to daydream about times past, but not so much as of late. I tend to focus more on the future these days. I wish I would spend more time imagining places I’ve been and things I’ve done. I know that I could bring them back quite easily if I put my mind to it. In fact, I think I will do that when I awaken in the middle of the night tonight. I can tell you where I would go in my dreams….the soft, fine, white sand of Jamaica and it’s crystal clear turquoise waters; or my college days, the warm days, the excitement of meeting new people, the farmland smells at night; or Laguna Beach; or Maui; or Sanibel Island. I could go on forever. I just have to take the time or remember to go off in my head on these trips.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Wed May 14, 2008 8:03 pm

Can't believe only nebraska's answered (and now LIz! ). Thought by now there's be loads of creative flights! I just completely admired Jean Do's creative resourcefulness in totally immersing himself in his escapes into fantasy. My life would have been considerably duller in that situation due to my limited creativity! :-/
When trying to fall asleep is about the only time my mind wanders off on a journey. Like nebraska, I enjoy going back to my childhood... being that innocent, vulnerable little girl again and wandering through my childhood homes. After reading Five People You Meet, I loved to go back through my life and pick out people who may have seemed insignificant at the time, but who changed the course of my life in some way. Fun! (Shhhhh!! :shhh: Also enjoy running through the old boyfriends and narrowing them down to ones who really meant something to me or contributed something. Am amazed at some of the immature choices I made :-O and how lucky I was to end up with Mr. Right!! :angel: ) And lately, with Johnny rambling around my neighborhood, I've had the pleasure of falling off to sleep with the memories of my three meetings with Johnny!! :cloud9: (A mature choice!) :heart:
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed May 14, 2008 9:58 pm

Betty Sue wrote:Can't believe only nebraska's answered (and now LIz! ). Thought by now there's be loads of creative flights! I just completely admired Jean Do's creative resourcefulness in totally immersing himself in his escapes into fantasy. My life would have been considerably duller in that situation due to my limited creativity! :-/
When trying to fall asleep is about the only time my mind wanders off on a journey. Like nebraska, I enjoy going back to my childhood... being that innocent, vulnerable little girl again and wandering through my childhood homes. After reading Five People You Meet, I loved to go back through my life and pick out people who may have seemed insignificant at the time, but who changed the course of my life in some way. Fun! (Shhhhh!! :shhh: Also enjoy running through the old boyfriends and narrowing them down to ones who really meant something to me or contributed something. Am amazed at some of the immature choices I made :-O and how lucky I was to end up with Mr. Right!! :angel: ) And lately, with Johnny rambling around my neighborhood, I've had the pleasure of falling off to sleep with the memories of my three meetings with Johnny!! :cloud9: (A mature choice!) :heart:

Well, that Johnny encounter(s) memory is a memory to relive for sure. I'm surprised too that there have been so few responses. Shocked, actually. How nice to know that you are happy with Mr. Right.

I have to say that I was surprised that Jean-Do could remember food as he did. I've been trying to do the same and have wondered if I remember it better than he did because I can still taste. It is not like I am tasting Escargot when I remember it, but I have the ability to taste. So does that mean I can taste it in my mind better than he? I hope not.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Wed May 14, 2008 10:07 pm

Liz wrote:I'm surprised too that there have been so few responses. Shocked, actually.
I know I felt intimidated earlier today when I read the questions, especially this part--
Liz wrote:I know many of you have been on the edge of bursting over this subject.
I haven't been bursting--so I didn't feel as though the question was directed at me. I'm still waiting for the bursting posts to show up!

shadowydog

Unread postby shadowydog » Wed May 14, 2008 10:13 pm

I often "live" trips and what I want to see and do on this trips. Of course I cheat. Being a snowbird, I get to drag my "house" behind me as I actually go on these trips.

On a more serious note, only through imagining yourself doing something in the future and wishing it to come true can your dreams and plans actually happen. Those who do not dream never live the dreams they are afraid to dream. I have never read any of the "beat writers" who inspired Johnny, but I have, in some respects, followed in their footsteps by DREAMING and then chasing my dreams.

Don't know if this has anything to do with the intent of the original question. :blush:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed May 14, 2008 10:14 pm

fansmom wrote:
Liz wrote:I'm surprised too that there have been so few responses. Shocked, actually.
I know I felt intimidated earlier today when I read the questions, especially this part--
Liz wrote:I know many of you have been on the edge of bursting over this subject.
I haven't been bursting--so I didn't feel as though the question was directed at me. I'm still waiting for the bursting posts to show up!

I guess I misjudged that one. I noticed during one of the tidbits that a couple of people seemed to want to go further than I would allow them (because I didn't want them to get into the questions yet).

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed May 14, 2008 10:17 pm

shadowydog wrote:I often "live" trips and what I want to see and do on this trips. Of course I cheat. Being a snowbird, I get to drag my "house" behind me as I actually go on these trips.

On a more serious note, only through imagining yourself doing something in the future and wishing it to come true can your dreams and plans actually happen. Those who do not dream never live the dreams they are afraid to dream. I have never read any of the "beat writers" who inspired Johnny, but I have, in some respects, followed in their footsteps by DREAMING and then chasing my dreams.

Don't know if this has anything to do with the intent of the original question. :blush:

I don't know if it does or not. It was an open-ended question. But it doesn't matter. I love your idea about dreaming being required to make reality happen. :cool:

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Thu May 15, 2008 6:33 am

I think when I am playing with my mind, going to my "happy place" as it were, I tend to think more about people than I do about places. Since the subject of food etc has come up and not just places. I think about my friends and things we have done together and fun times......when I am in an unhappy situation, thoughts of friends validate me. So when I think about Pike Street, I think about the friend who took me there; she has been on my mind a lot lately, sometimes that means I really need to call her and see what is going on.

teacher

Unread postby teacher » Thu May 15, 2008 7:02 am

I didn't get to even see the question untill now, my bad.
Of course I daydream, you should see my pictures folder on my computer: it's like a travel guide to the world. Whenever it's tough at work or at home or whatever, I Google a place I'd like to see and obsess over it for a week or two, collecting information and photos and whatnot and persuading myself that one of these days I'll get to go. Feeling the tastes of exotic food in seaside cafes and hearing the bustle and commotion of solemn European cities and hectic American metropolises, planning day schedules and whatnot. Obsess, I tell you. Places where Johnny is/has been/will be occur sometimes, I'm ashamed to admit. I'm not a stalker, honest, but a curious soul who'd just like to get a whiff of where he's been: Monmartre to me is a place where Johnny lived a bohemian life, not just the artists' spot.
I don't know about Jean-do, maybe such daydreams made him sink and remember what he cannot have; to me they are the ultimate liberation, oblivious to petty obstacles of daily life, such as duties and jobs and monetary issues and holiday schedules, and thus a tranqulizer on their own.
Yes, I have tricks in my pocket, I have things up my sleeve. But I am the opposite of a stage magician. He gives you illusion that has the appearance of truth. I give you truth in the pleasant disguise of illusion. - Tom Wingfield, Glass Menagerie

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu May 15, 2008 9:07 am

Dreams and imagination are the tools we use to take us out of our everyday existence and help us see what could be or revisit what has been. I can go back to my youth, to the times when my children were little, places I visited, people I met. I can look into my crystal ball and “see” my future. Sometimes when I can’t sleep I imagine myself lying by the ocean, listening to the sound of the waves and the birds and I can drift off. Dreams and imagination fuel our creativity. Where would the arts, science or medicine be without the imaginations of so many great people?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

teacher

Unread postby teacher » Thu May 15, 2008 9:27 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Dreams and imagination are the tools we use to take us out of our everyday existence and help us see what could be or revisit what has been. I can go back to my youth, to the times when my children were little, places I visited, people I met. I can look into my crystal ball and “see” my future. Sometimes when I can’t sleep I imagine myself lying by the ocean, listening to the sound of the waves and the birds and I can drift off. Dreams and imagination fuel our creativity. Where would the arts, science or medicine be without the imaginations of so many great people?

I agree, DITHOT. They say language differentiates humans and animals, but I think that's not really true. But imagination, now that's unique to us.
Yes, I have tricks in my pocket, I have things up my sleeve. But I am the opposite of a stage magician. He gives you illusion that has the appearance of truth. I give you truth in the pleasant disguise of illusion. - Tom Wingfield, Glass Menagerie

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Thu May 15, 2008 11:50 am

Good morning Mantras - just checking in from Portland and YEA! I'm do believe I was one of the ones who couldn't wait to get to this topic! Too bad I don't have time to respond adequately at the moment. (or lucky for youse guys!)

I agree that imagination distinguishes humans from animals (at least as far as we know) and it's a shame we've lost the ability to use it. We've traded richness for reality! Creativity definitely suffers for lack of imaginings, and we are definitely meant to be creative as human beings.

What Jean-Do discovered (or rediscovered) during his ordeal is that his imagination could take him anywhere - as far as he wanted to go and also as close as he wanted to be (as in tasting food). The ability to do that is not unique, IMO, it resides in each and every one of us. It just takes some practice. And, being full-functioning, we perhaps feel daydreaming, imagining, visioning, etc., is a luxury we never seem to have time for. We live in a time-bound world that leave precious little room for such things. Pity.

Okay, gotta go -
Stay tuned for the report on how we're gonna change the world!
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa
savvy avi by mamabear

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Thu May 15, 2008 1:43 pm

I may have been one of those that had to hold back on previous questions, I usually do. This one sort of stopped me in my tracks because my dreams are mostly personal. I don't dream of too many far away places because I moved to one. I do sometimes think of other countries. Sometimes I dream of home the way it used to be. Sometimes I dream back of grandparents and those who are not here anymore. I quit dreaming of the future because I am retired now and sort of feel I am living it. Since I never found Mr Right I probably spend more time like Jean Do on regrets, remembering the ones that could have been.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Return to “The Diving Bell and the Butterfly”