TDB&TB Question #7 ~ Your First Record

by Jean-Dominique Bauby

Moderator: Liz

suec

Unread postby suec » Sun May 11, 2008 3:28 pm

Liz, I loved the Monkees! I had the biggest crush on Davy Jones and always used to watch their programme on a Saturday evening. One time, I wanted to watch it but it was Christmas Eve and my mom wanted me in bed. I remember her telling me Santa wouldn't come if I didn't go to bed and I told her I didn't care about Santa; I'd rather watch The Monkees. Guess that ages me quite precisely...
I remember my parents' records. The Beatles' Rubber Soul LP, Hank Williams, Neil Diamond, Leonard Cohen. And Joan Baez. I liked her. There But For Fortune, I think it was called, the one I liked.
Thanks for the Abba pic. I have remembered that P peformed one of their songs, so I don't feel quite so embarrassed.

And yes, Happy Mothers' Day.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun May 11, 2008 4:12 pm

I'm sure mine was a Beatles 45, probably I Want to Hold Your Hand. I had a huge collection of 45s which at some point when I was in college my mom threw away. :banghead: I listened to a lot of Glen Miller and other big band artists as a kid because my parents had the records and I still love their music. I still have all my albums, at least those that survived my teen and college years!

Last edited by DeppInTheHeartOfTexas on Sun May 11, 2008 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Sun May 11, 2008 4:15 pm

Liz wrote:All of you mothers out there have a Happy Mother's Day. :bouquet:
You, too, Liz! As a mother of a (an easy to raise) daughter, I have real respect for the mothers of sons! :applause:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun May 11, 2008 4:17 pm

As the mother of sons I have a deep respect for the mothers of daughters! :lol:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Sun May 11, 2008 4:22 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:I had a huge collection of 45s which at some point when I was in college my mom threw away. :banghead:
Hey, today's a good day to forgive her! (Especially since you probably wouldn't have anything to play them on now, anyway.)

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Sun May 11, 2008 5:05 pm

What a hoot! Thanks for the pics, Liz! Danny and the Juniors don't look very 'junior' do they! But Guy Mitchell really was a cutie-pie. Right up there with Tab Hunter. :heart:

My 'portable' record player looked a lot like the one shown - only mine was pink. Neat-o!

Speaking of kids listening to their parents' records, I'll never forget the day my pre-teen daughter discovered the 'White Album' amongst my usually-ignored collection of LPs. Suddenly I found myself ratcheted up a notch or two in her eyes. That was a fab moment.

Oooh, suec, I was a huge Joan Baez fan! She appeared on the scene during my highschool years. I went straight from a so-so interest in academics to spending all of my time listening to Joanie (and Bobby, of course) and practicing on my guitar. I just knew I was going to make it big in the Folk scene. :biglaugh:

Fun topic! It makes me...dare I say...happy?!? :heart2:
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa
savvy avi by mamabear

Inthezone

Unread postby Inthezone » Sun May 11, 2008 6:18 pm

Loved the Monkees. I can still get old episodes anytime from ON Demand (local cable).

Gosh I love search engines!! I found more about Hootchie Kootchie Henry it's by Mitchell Torok and the single had I saved it would be worth a lot of money today :banghead:

Anyone who cares can hear a short clip at this link (with WMP):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/clipserve/B000001B47001014/0

And Liz, my record player was a step above the Fisher Price (remember the one with the plastic records and the pre recorded nursery rhymes?) Now I am going back...
"For certain you must be lost to find the place what can't be found. Elseways everyone would know where it was." ~ Hector Barbossa

suec

Unread postby suec » Sun May 11, 2008 6:30 pm

Inthezone, got to agree with you about the search engines. I listened to the track. Thanks. I have never heard that one before, I am sure, but it sounds just right for a Sunday night.

Oooh, suec, I was a huge Joan Baez fan! She appeared on the scene during my highschool years. I went straight from a so-so interest in academics to spending all of my time listening to Joanie (and Bobby, of course) and practicing on my guitar. I just knew I was going to make it big in the Folk scene.

Fun topic! It makes me...dare I say...happy?!?

I can still quote the lyrics even though I haven't listened to her for years. You're right, it is a fun topic. Like a Monday night thread really. I like the collective memory.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sun May 11, 2008 7:12 pm

What a fun thread! You have brought back some wonderful memories for me! Interesting how many of us are contemporaries.

As a side note regarding Neil Diamond, I have a ticket to see him (for the 5th time) in late July. The ticket cost a staggering amount of money, especially if you put it in perspective of those first records we bought with our allowances as teenagers.

teacher

Unread postby teacher » Sun May 11, 2008 7:34 pm

Haven't been in in a few days, just popping in at 1:30am to say happy mother's day to you all and thanks for the tales, so much fun to read. I will not tell you of the first record (that's a cd, actually) I bought :baby: , but the first things I listened to were records - my uncle's collection of Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Janis Joplin, Pink Floyd and the like that I remain loyal to along with the Beatles, which I only discovered in high-school :yikes:
:baby: , told ya :lol:
Yes, I have tricks in my pocket, I have things up my sleeve. But I am the opposite of a stage magician. He gives you illusion that has the appearance of truth. I give you truth in the pleasant disguise of illusion. - Tom Wingfield, Glass Menagerie

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun May 11, 2008 9:48 pm

That's okay, teacher. You got there musically as soon as you could. :lol:

Inthezone, I love Hootchie Kootchie Henry! The Monkees were favorites of mine but I was a Mickey girl.

Wow! What a ride!

Inthezone

Unread postby Inthezone » Sun May 11, 2008 10:28 pm

teacher wrote: ... but the first things I listened to were records - my uncle's collection of Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Janis Joplin, Pink Floyd ...

Teacher! These artists make up the soundtrack of my formative years. Excellent taste ... for a youngster! :rotflmao: (joshing)

DITHOT: I fell for Peter Tork. I felt sorry for the poor, confused-looking guy. As a girl I was always crushing on the ones who "needed" me. :heart:

And thanks about old Henry -- I guess you can see how a kid would like the tune. HAHA
"For certain you must be lost to find the place what can't be found. Elseways everyone would know where it was." ~ Hector Barbossa

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon May 12, 2008 12:25 am

Inthezone wrote: Gosh I love search engines!! I found more about Hootchie Kootchie Henry it's by Mitchell Torok and the single had I saved it would be worth a lot of money today :banghead:

A ukulele! I bet my daughter’s 4th grade teacher knows that song (even her car’s license plate has the “uke” in it). Glad you found it. It was fun to listen to. I didn’t find it because I spelled Hootchie Kootchie as Hoochie Coochie. :blush:

A Davy Jones fan here.

Parlez, my daughter’s new favorite song is Hey Jude. I love it when our kids re-discover the classics. I remember really liking one of my parents’ favorites…..Ed Ames. Does anyone remember him?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Inthezone

Unread postby Inthezone » Mon May 12, 2008 1:05 am

Liz wrote:
Inthezone wrote: Gosh I love search engines!! I found more about Hootchie Kootchie Henry it's by Mitchell Torok and the single had I saved it would be worth a lot of money today :banghead:

A ukulele! I bet my daughter’s 4th grade teacher knows that song (even her car’s license plate has the “uke” in it). Glad you found it. It was fun to listen to. I didn’t find it because I spelled Hootchie Kootchie as Hoochie Coochie. :blush:

A Davy Jones fan here.

:biglaugh: I had to spell it out several times, of course I haven't seen the title in blank number of years...
Well, apparently there's an instructional video on Youtube on how to play 'ole Hootchy Henry on the ukelele! I bought one for a gag in Hawaii last year. Wouldn't it be funny to get that out and actually learn how to play it (I do remember all the lyrics).

Imagine, if you will, the crazy looks I've gotten from people over the years when I mention the title of that song. I feel VINDICATED!

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Mon May 12, 2008 3:06 am

suec wrote:Oh dear! My first record was an Abba single, for no good reason that I can recall, and I certainly don't own it now. On the other hand, I have been known, when finding myself quite inadvertently at an Abba tribute night, to sing-a-long to every track. :blush:

:lol: I don't think you should feel embarassed at all, I have to admit I owned all their records and have bought their Greatest Hits on CD which I still own. They were great pop tunes , and some of the lyrics were quite sad and meaningful. :cool:

Return to “The Diving Bell and the Butterfly”