TDB&TB Question #7 ~ Your First Record

by Jean-Dominique Bauby

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

TDB&TB Question #7 ~ Your First Record

Unread postby Liz » Sun May 11, 2008 11:04 am

Pg. 73. ‘Not since I was twelve, when I endlessly played it on my record player, have I heard the Clo-Clo Francois 45-rpm “Poor Little Rich Girl.” Yet as soon as Céleste begins it—somewhat off-key—every note, every verse, every detail of backup and orchestration, comes back to me with startling precision, right down to the sound of the sea that filters through the opening bars. Once again I see the album cover, the singer’s photo, his striped button-down shirt. I longed for a shirt like his, but for me it was unattainable: my mother considered it tacky.”’

What were the circumstances under which you bought your first record (or CD)? Do you still own it?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sun May 11, 2008 12:37 pm

Boy! That goes back into history! I think one of my first records was actually a gift from my sister and brother in law - Marty Robbins White Sport Coat and a Pink Carnation. I didn't even really like it very much, but I played it a lot because it was mine....

As for my own purchase, I remember going to the record store with my father. I really wanted an Elvis record and he wouldn't let me get one - remember when Elvis was so bad? All that wiggling around. :-O I don't remember what I settled for, but it wasn't the Elvis record that I wanted.

This sounds a bit like the discussions we have had the last couple of days, I remember what I missed, not what I had.

suec

Unread postby suec » Sun May 11, 2008 12:49 pm

Oh dear! My first record was an Abba single, for no good reason that I can recall, and I certainly don't own it now. On the other hand, I have been known, when finding myself quite inadvertently at an Abba tribute night, to sing-a-long to every track. :blush:
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Sun May 11, 2008 1:39 pm

Oh boy - this takes me back even farther than the 60's pop singers! My first record (45 rpm) was purchased with my hard-earned allowance ($.50) at the local record store, where you could go into these neat little soundproof booths and play as many records as you wanted, just for run. I believe I bought 'At the Hop' by Danny and the Juniors, but I also recollect getting a hit by Theresa Brewer around that time too, though I don't remember which one. Clearly I don't have the kind of total recall Jean-Do had, but I do remember being in Bobby-Sox heaven back then. :cloud9:

Talk about mindless! :lol:
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa
savvy avi by mamabear

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Sun May 11, 2008 1:42 pm

How embarrassing!! :blush: My first record...a 78!!...must have been Guy Mitchell's "My Truly, Truly Fair." (Don't suppose any of you have even heard of him! I was very young!) I saw him and Patti Page perform at an afternoon show in a Cleveland movie theatre. That was my first show, and he was my first 'boyfriend.' He's no longer living (and I'm sure that record got broken long ago), but a few years ago I went to see him in Wisconsin and introduced my first boyfriend to my last boyfriend. :cloud9:
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Sun May 11, 2008 1:49 pm

Wow, I guess my age is showing because my memory is not that good. Like Parlez I remember bobby sox and 45s. I had a huge collection and cant remember the names but in my late 20 when I was leaving Ohio for Florida I sold them all in a package to a fellow who was starting and oldies radio station. I do remember my parents having Marty Robbins greatest hits on an old 78 record and I had one of Neil Diamond. The song Shilo comes to mind but I have no idea if it was my first record and at one time I collected Elivis albums.
Last edited by gemini on Sun May 11, 2008 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Sun May 11, 2008 1:49 pm

Betty Sue wrote:How embarrassing!! :blush: My first record...a 78!!...must have been Guy Mitchell's "My Truly, Truly Fair." (Don't suppose any of you have even heard of him! I was very young!) I saw him and Patti Page perform at an afternoon show in a Cleveland movie theatre. That was my first show, and he was my first 'boyfriend.' He's no longer living (and I'm sure that record got broken long ago), but a few years ago I went to see him in Wisconsin and introduced my first boyfriend to my last boyfriend. :cloud9:

Guy Mitchell?! I loved Guy Mitchell!! Didn't he record 'Singin' the Blues'??
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa

savvy avi by mamabear

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Sun May 11, 2008 1:53 pm

Parlez wrote:
Guy Mitchell?! I loved Guy Mitchell!! Didn't he record 'Singin' the Blues'??

:highfive: Yep! :music:
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Sun May 11, 2008 2:11 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Every-Picture-Tells-Story-Stewart/dp/B00000612P/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1210529207&sr=8-1
1971, and yes, I still have it. Hard earned baby-sitting money.
(Wow, those amazon reviewers like it, too--62 5-star reviews!)

Inthezone

Unread postby Inthezone » Sun May 11, 2008 2:11 pm

I got my first record player when I was 6. I inherited my mom's collection of 45's and my favorite one was called "Hootchie-Cootchie Henry From Hawaii." I have no idea who sang it without researching it. I've also never met anyone who's ever heard it. I think it was from the late 40's early 50's.

I liked the ukelele but the lyrics were probably a little racy for a kid my age...

The first record I bought on my own was MacArthur Park by Donna Summer!
"For certain you must be lost to find the place what can't be found. Elseways everyone would know where it was." ~ Hector Barbossa

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun May 11, 2008 2:20 pm

It is fun reading these. All this talk of 78’s and 45’s makes me feel right at home. Did you listen to them on something like this, like I did?

I’m not sure if I should count the one my mom picked out that I liked so much or if I should go with the first one I asked for. Both were huge to me. So I’ll talk about both. BTW they were both mono LPs.

The first one was The King Family album. This must have been back in 1964 or 65. I listened to it over and over again. My mom liked the The King Sisters, but I liked the King Kids. I thought the girls were so pretty and stylish and wanted to look just like them…..with their blonde beehive hairdos.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/Liz-ONBC/Diving%20Bell%20and%20the%20Butterfly/King_Family_Show_28ABC29.jpg

My second one—the one I asked for, which is the one I truly count as my first, was More of The Monkees by The Monkees (duh). This was the album with I’m a Believer on it. It was quite a coup getting my mom to agree to that. She wouldn’t let me listen to the Beatles a year earlier, in ’65. It was 1966 (or 67), and I remember sitting in one of those sound proof booths that Parlez talks of, at Rhodes Department Store in Oakland, CA.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Sun May 11, 2008 2:25 pm

Liz wrote:I thought the girls were so pretty and stylish and wanted to look just like them…..with their blonde beehive hairdos.
Having seen pictures of you here at the ONBC, I can't quite imagine that, but okay!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun May 11, 2008 2:29 pm

Putting some faces with names:

Marty Robbins:

Danny and the Juniors:

Guy Mithcell:

Abba:

I couldn’t find Hoochie Coochie Henry either, Inthezone.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun May 11, 2008 2:30 pm

fansmom wrote:
Liz wrote:I thought the girls were so pretty and stylish and wanted to look just like them…..with their blonde beehive hairdos.
Having seen pictures of you here at the ONBC, I can't quite imagine that, but okay!

It was a different time.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun May 11, 2008 2:33 pm

All of you mothers out there have a Happy Mother's Day. :bouquet:

Return to “The Diving Bell and the Butterfly”