It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Bryan Burrough in Austin
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:41 pm 

On Friday night Bix and I went to see Bryan Burrough here in Austin. He was making an appearance at a local bookstore to promote his new book, The Big Rich. It is about four of the most famous, one could say notorious, Texas families who made their fortunes in oil in the early to mid 1900's. Being from Texas these are names I have heard all my life and I can't wait to dig into the book. Mr. Burrough is a very engaging and humorous speaker and it was a great event!

He remembered the interview we did during our discussion of Public Enemies and he was very nice to sign my copy of the book. We talked briefly about the premiere and the release date for the movie. He didn't have any definite information on dates yet but he is planning to attend and looking forward to it!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject: Re: Bryan Burrough in Austin
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:56 pm 

How cool is THAT !!!!!! :dance: Must have been really nice to chat with him again.... you deserve it DITHOT.... for all you do for ONBC and The Zone. Glad you had a nice time !! :disco:

I'd rather have a moment of wonderful, than a lifetime of nothing special. April 7, 2008

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:57 pm 

It is nice to hear Mr Burrough is doing so well and has a new book coming out. As thorough as he was with Public Enemies, I am sure his new book will be a winner. I am glad you got to meet with him and its nice he remembered our discussion and was nice enough to do a Q& A. Maybe we will see a photo of him at the PE premier. I'm sure the flim will continue to boost his career.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:58 pm 

Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson
Very cool, DITHOT! Glad you and Bix got the chance to see and talk with him. His new book sounds intriguing and is probably as detailed and well researched as his PE book. Nice of him to sign your copy of PE, DITHOT. I don't think he'll be coming to my neck of the woods, but it would be nice if other Zoners got the chance to catch him at a signing in their town.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:29 pm 

Thanks, Lucky13! It was fun to meet him in person and thank him for his participation here at ONBC.

KY and gemini, he did another amazing job of research based on what he said last night and looking at the sources he cites in the book. I did tell him I was impressed with the fact that he was able to read all the FBI files for PE and he says he loves doing it. Obviously a tidbit man at heart! :lol:

He did make one comment those for you who read or participated in our PE discussion might find interesting. He said he felt that PE was a lot of fact after fact after fact and he is trying to "loosen up" this new book a little so that it reads more like a story. It will be interesting to see how the styles differ.

He also mentioned that his new book will debut on the best seller list for the first time next week and it went up for auction in Hollywood last week :congrats: but he did not reveal the outcome. It also contains multiple characters like PE and the movie would have to focus on one, like PE focuses on Dillinger. Hmm... wonder if Johnny can do a Texas accent? :grin:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:15 pm 

Cool, DITHOT! :cool:

Here's an online interview with him about his new book--It's interesting, but it's nearly an hour long.

(Scroll down to see the second hour of the show, and choose either Real Audio or Windows Media.)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:52 am 

I have to add to what DITHOT said. Bryan Burrough is really just one of us - I think he said he'd had two Chuy's margaritas, so he was saying whatever he felt like saying. So he was funny and profane and very, very real. And it was obvious that he was very comfortable with what he had written when confronted by this older man saying "My father was an oil tycoon, so why wasn't he in your book?" I mean, he just covered eveything and had an answer for everything. I was really smitten! Plus, the sister of a woman he had dated in high school showed up and he handled that really well.

And he signed my book "Bryan" - without his last name!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:08 am 
JDZ Web Designer

He sounds like...well, like a Texan! :cool:

Bryan was in Houston earlier this week, unfortunately he was at a bookstore on the far south side. Way too far for me to go. I would have liked to have met him.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:03 pm 

Theresa, I think that was the night before Austin. He referenced it Friday night and said there were over 200 people thare, some of them relatives of the men he covers in the book.

Wow! What a ride!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]