It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Question about John Dillinger-The Untold Story
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:55 pm 

This is the book that was in Johnny's hand in a recent pic. Can anyone tell me if this book has been discussed as an ONBC study? I didn't know where else to ask. I'm only a few pages into it and it is an incredible read. Thanks a lot! Susan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:12 pm 

Hey, Depputysue! :wave: This is the perfect place to ask your question. :cool:

We just finished discussing Bryan Burrough's Public Enemies which is the basis for the movie. Liz and I did take note of the book Johnny was holding in the picture and it just may show up on ONBC for future discussion.
;-)

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:06 pm 

Oh Goodie! :snoopydances:
I was wondering that myself.
:bounce:

~ “There's nothing - you know - nothing else like music. Nothing that touches us on that, uh, that deep level. Music can open up so many emotions that we didn't know we had. Music touches us, emotionally, where words alone can't.” JohnnyDepp~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:45 am 

I think Dillinger the Untold Story was Burrough's main source for his Dillinger material. It's a really great book and covers most of the same stuff Burrough does but leaves out most of the material on the other gangsters (unless it pertains directly to Dillinger). Highly recommended. Many of the other books on Dillinger are just not historically accurate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:50 am 

I'd like to order this book so could someone give me the author's name so I make sure I get the right one? :eyebrow:

Thank you.

"....Jack Sparrow is probably now to a certain generation more well known as a representative of the Disney imagination than Mickey Mouse himself and Johnny's performance in that role is such an extraordinary thing . . ." G. Rush

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:12 am 

Sparrows Heaven wrote:
I'd like to order this book so could someone give me the author's name so I make sure I get the right one? :eyebrow:

Thank you.

The authors names are G. Russell Girardin & William J. Helmer.

I'm about half way through the book & I love it. I'm enjoying it more than Public Enemies since it's mostly all about Dillinger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:31 am 

Thank you. I found one on Amazon with those authors and Rick Mattix listed as a collaborator. The title of the book is "Dillinger: The Untold Story Expanded Edition" and it's a paperback.

I will order it because I just finished Public Enemies and it was a real learning experience.

"....Jack Sparrow is probably now to a certain generation more well known as a representative of the Disney imagination than Mickey Mouse himself and Johnny's performance in that role is such an extraordinary thing . . ." G. Rush

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:55 pm 

Depputysue, I went to the library and got that book the minute I saw it in Johnnys hand. I loved it! I don't want to get rotten tomatoes thrown at me but in some ways I liked it a lot more than Public Enemies. It was more about Dillinger and it was more personal. Some say it is more sympathetic. It has two authors and I loved the way G. Russell Girardin writes. Its very beautiful and old fashioned. If you read it, you will see what I mean.
G Russel Giradin wrote most of the script years before and it was never published until William J. Helmer ran across it after the release of the FBI files. They got together and made it into a book and G. Russel Girardin died just after he finished but before it was published. His wife said working on it again made his last months worth living again. Yes, Rick Mattix is listed as a collaborator along with the two authors. I would highly reccomend the book even if Johnny wasn't reading it. I hope we do get to discuss it on ONBC since Johnny read it. Maybe after the film comes out and we see how Johnny used the knowledge to portray Dillinger.

Last edited by gemini on Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:05 pm 

gemini wrote:
I loved it! I don't want to get rotten tomatoes thrown at me but in some ways I liked it a lot more than Public Enemies.

I would have to agree, Gemini. I was too afraid to admit it, but since you did, I must agree. :blush: I'm only about 30 pages into it and absolutely love it. I like the idea of a discussion once the movie is released... hopefully Liz and DITHOT will too!! :hope:

I'd rather have a moment of wonderful, than a lifetime of nothing special. April 7, 2008

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:10 pm 

It's definitely under consideration either as a run up to the release of the movie or to coincide with it. I think we all want to learn more about JD...:grin:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:26 pm 

I wouldn't be embarrassed that you like it as well or better than PE since Burrough himself recommended it in his bibliography. He recommends many other good sources too and warns against the crap. If you haven't had a chance to read through the bib, and you plan to do more reading, I would start there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:43 pm 

Thanks DITHOT, Gemini and everyone for your info and comments on the book. I will be watching and waiting for the discussion. By then maybe I'll have read PE and JD-The Untold Story.

I just love this place and you guys! I can JDOCD to my heart's content :cloud9:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:51 pm 

gemini wrote:
I went to the library and got that book the minute I saw it in Johnnys hand.

:idea:

I ordered it from Amazon this week, the moment I saw the cover! I don't think I can wait so long for the film to come out ... it's going to feel like forever. :-/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:02 am 
JDZ Moderator

Lucky13 wrote:
gemini wrote:
I loved it! I don't want to get rotten tomatoes thrown at me but in some ways I liked it a lot more than Public Enemies.

I would have to agree, Gemini. I was too afraid to admit it, but since you did, I must agree. :blush: I'm only about 30 pages into it and absolutely love it. I like the idea of a discussion once the movie is released... hopefully Liz and DITHOT will too!! :hope:

I'm wondering if you can compare the two. Each has a different focus. John Dillinger--the Untold Story is focused entirely on Dillinger. PE deals with all of the public enemies and the FBI's pursuit of them.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:19 am 

One of my very best friends got me PE for my birthday!!! I love all the details it goes into not only about the yeggs but the FBI as well!!!!

The Dillinger book would be next on my list as well!!!

"I'd rather be thin than famous"~Jack Kerouac

"stayed faithful to the magick"

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next