Question about John Dillinger-The Untold Story

by Bryan Burrough

Moderator: Liz

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:44 pm

I would be thrilled to have Dilllinger the Untold Story as the next ONBC selection. : :bounce: After I finished PE I ordered two of the books Mr Burrough suggested - John Dillinger the Untold Story and J Edgar Hoover the Man and the Secrets - PE is an excellent book to begin with if you want an overview of the era and the whole FBI/crime story. I fought my way through it (again, Mr. Burrough, I apologize for calling it drudgery) and in the end, it gave me some wonderful framework. Then I read Dillinger the Untold Story and it fleshed out the life of John Dillinger, adding some extra bits about the facts of his life and legend. I hope we "do" this book at ONBC! If Johnny read it, you can bet the whole world will LOVE Dillinger when this film comes out!

BTW, I have J Edgar Hover the Man and the Secrets on my nightstand (Also recommended by Mr Burrough at the end of PE). I dread reading about that distasteful man, but I am struggling to figure out Pomerance's Johnny Depp Starts Here (thankfully I spent a gift card from my son instead of my own hard earned $$$$$) J Edgar looks more and more inviting. :bounce

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:44 pm

Liz wrote:
Lucky13 wrote:
gemini wrote: I loved it! I don't want to get rotten tomatoes thrown at me but in some ways I liked it a lot more than Public Enemies.

I would have to agree, Gemini. I was too afraid to admit it, but since you did, I must agree. :blush: I'm only about 30 pages into it and absolutely love it. I like the idea of a discussion once the movie is released... hopefully Liz and DITHOT will too!! :hope:

I'm wondering if you can compare the two. Each has a different focus. John Dillinger--the Untold Story is focused entirely on Dillinger. PE deals with all of the public enemies and the FBI's pursuit of them.

You make a very good point here Liz. I loved PE and it was hard to say I liked the other book better. Lets say I liked what I learned about Dillinger in it a lot and that it had a lot more personal things in it. Letters etc. When I think of PE I loved it because it was about all the public enemies. I enjoyed reading about Baby Face Nelson , Pretty Boy Floyd, Bonnie and Clyde, and Karpis. They were all my favorities along with Dillinger. In many ways I was as into their lives as much as I was Dillingers.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:01 am

nebraska wrote:I would be thrilled to have Dilllinger the Untold Story as the next ONBC selection. : :bounce: After I finished PE I ordered two of the books Mr Burrough suggested - John Dillinger the Untold Story and J Edgar Hoover the Man and the Secrets - PE is an excellent book to begin with if you want an overview of the era and the whole FBI/crime story. I fought my way through it (again, Mr. Burrough, I apologize for calling it drudgery) and in the end, it gave me some wonderful framework. Then I read Dillinger the Untold Story and it fleshed out the life of John Dillinger, adding some extra bits about the facts of his life and legend. I hope we "do" this book at ONBC! If Johnny read it, you can bet the whole world will LOVE Dillinger when this film comes out!

BTW, I have J Edgar Hover the Man and the Secrets on my nightstand (Also recommended by Mr Burrough at the end of PE). I dread reading about that distasteful man, but I am struggling to figure out Pomerance's Johnny Depp Starts Here (thankfully I spent a gift card from my son instead of my own hard earned $$$$$) J Edgar looks more and more inviting. :bounce

Nebraska, I checked out from the library the "Official and Confidential: the sacred life of J Edgar Hoover" by- Anthony Summers, and "Secrets and Power The life of J Edgar Hoover" by Richard Gid at the same time. Both are recommended by Burrough. I started reading both at the same time. I couldn't put the one by Anthony Summers down. I liked it the best and after finishing it, I read parts of the other but it couldn't hold my interest as well.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Sheri

Unread postby Sheri » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:16 am

Liz wrote:
Lucky13 wrote:
gemini wrote: I loved it! I don't want to get rotten tomatoes thrown at me but in some ways I liked it a lot more than Public Enemies.

I would have to agree, Gemini. I was too afraid to admit it, but since you did, I must agree. :blush: I'm only about 30 pages into it and absolutely love it. I like the idea of a discussion once the movie is released... hopefully Liz and DITHOT will too!! :hope:

I'm wondering if you can compare the two. Each has a different focus. John Dillinger--the Untold Story is focused entirely on Dillinger. PE deals with all of the public enemies and the FBI's pursuit of them.

I completely agree, Liz. Also, one has to consider that PE was based on information that could be proven or reliably verified. I thoroughly enjoyed the The Untold Story, but the fact is, the author was relying on what was told to him by Dillinger and others. Some of the information passed on could have been knowingly or unknowingly inaccurate.
~Just the knowledge that a good book is awaiting one at the end of a long day makes that day happier~ Kathleen Norris

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:26 am

Sheri wrote:
Liz wrote:
Lucky13 wrote:

I completely agree, Liz. Also, one has to consider that PE was based on information that could be proven or reliably verified. I thoroughly enjoyed the The Untold Story, but the fact is, the author was relying on what was told to him by Dillinger and others. Some of the information passed on could have been knowingly or unknowingly inaccurate.

I agree with everythng you say Sheri and Burrough went to a lot of trouble to stick to the FBI files but?
How do we know that everything put in the FBI files is accurate?
Unless we were there we will never really know the true story.

Sheri

Unread postby Sheri » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:52 am

gemini wrote:
Sheri wrote:
Liz wrote:
Lucky13 wrote:

I agree with everythng you say Sheri and Burrough went to a lot of trouble to stick to the FBI files but?

We don't, and it certainly is a possibility that is true. I'm under the impression, though, that the files weren't Mr. Burrough's only source. I could be mistaken about that. Actually, both books agree on most issues and I feel both are valuable reads.
~Just the knowledge that a good book is awaiting one at the end of a long day makes that day happier~ Kathleen Norris

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:05 pm

Sheri wrote:
gemini wrote:
Sheri wrote:
Liz wrote:
Lucky13 wrote:

We don't, and it certainly is a possibility that is true. I'm under the impression, though, that the files weren't Mr. Burrough's only source. I could be mistaken about that. Actually, both books agree on most issues and I feel both are valuable reads.

I agree. I just had a bit of stuff running through my mind after reading the Edgar Hoover books about how he handled the FBI files to his own benefit.

Return to “Public Enemies”