It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Public Enemies ~ A Word from the Author
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:13 am 

Noodlemantras, as we end another discussion here at ONBC, Liz and I want to thank you for your participation and thoughtful posts during our discussion of Public Enemies. We tell you all the time how much we appreciate your insights and ideas but we thought you might like to get confirmation of that from another source as you will see below. ONBC will be on hiatus for a week or so but will return with the answers to your questions from Bryan Burrough, author of Public Enemies.

Thank you, Noodlemantras! :notworthy: :thanks!:

From our correspondence with Mr. Burrough regarding his participation in our Q&A:

Burrough: "Oh, this should be fun. I have had the *best* time reading the ONBC posts. Your readers are so thoughtful, they pointed out things I'd never recognized in the book, both good and bad."

Liz: What have you enjoyed most about reading our discussion?

Burrough: "What excited me about reading the ONBC posts is how thoughtful they were. I mean, your readers obviously spend a good deal of time actually reading the book and thinking about it. Plus, you know, an author never really gets to hear people talk honestly about his own work. Friends, well, they're always kind, maybe too kind. Only some place like ONBC can you see what people think. It's painful sometimes, but hey, I'm a big boy.

The tidbits were fantastic. I felt you guys did almost as much research as I did! Your whole setup just struck me as what the Internet ought to be. Here is this little haven for kind discussion among people who obviously like each other. I have to say, I thought ONBC posters were among the most polite I'd ever read. That's one thing that often bugs me about chat rooms and the like, rudeness."

You guys rock!!!!! :guitar:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:20 am 

Well, DITHOT and Liz, all credit to you guys for organising us all into some semblance of order! Agreed, the titbits were outstanding. Over here our knowledge of US history is often some terrible amalgam of Hollywood and stray fact, so for this ignorant Brit at least they gave me the chance to learn a lot about the social and political conditions that made the US grow towards what it is today.

So thanks, ladies!

Nice of him to read it all, wasn't it.

Solace in the flood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:21 pm 

:hatsoff: to Liz and DITHOT... we wouldn't have had such a wonderful discussion without your endless efforts !!!

Mr. Burrough was right... the tidbits were absolutely great.. I enjoyed each and every one !!!

Very much looking forward to Mr. Burrough's answers to those great Noodlemantra questions !!!

Keep up the good work, ladies :applause2: ... looking forward to our next book.

Last edited by Lucky13 on Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'd rather have a moment of wonderful, than a lifetime of nothing special. April 7, 2008

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:53 pm 

I just wanted to say that while I couldn't be part of this discussion I've tried to keep up, as time would allow, with tidbits and discussions. You all did a great job on this one, and I'm so glad Mr. Burrough concurs. :applause2: I've always been interested in the "Roaring Twenties" and gangs like Dillinger's in the thirties, I'm a big Cagney & Bogart fan. So this book discussion put some reality to my Hollywood glitz, and has really made me so excited to see PE on the big screen. Thanks.

Finally I hope it's okay, but I decided on a moll name for myself at the beginning of your discussion and I want to close this post with it.

Live in Depp
Dancehall Dottie

"The theater is my drug, and my illness is so far advanced that my physic must be of the highest quality."~~John Wilmot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:24 pm 

Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson
:applause: What great praise indeed! Thanks Liz and DITHOT for being such wonderful leaders of this little 'gang'. Thanks also to all the Noodlemantras who share their thoughts and insights here. PE was an interesting discussion (tidbits included!).

Looking forward to hearing more from Mr B. :cool:

~Too Tall Tula

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:26 pm 

Hat's off to Mr. Burrough! :hatsoff:
He's sweet to say such nice things about the molls who make up this happy circle of friends here on ONBC, and our fearless leaders of course! I couldn't agree more.
BB :noodlemantra:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:42 pm 

What lovely feedback. It must have been very strange for him reading everything here. And I rather hope I didn't say anything too painful. :blush: At least we all did think about it fully. Well done to the moderators for the questions, the tidbits and contacting the author. He's right about this being such a friendly place, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:10 pm 

And to think I just came here to discuss a book I really enjoyed with a thoughtful group of ladies! What a lovely bonus to read the kind words of the author! :welcome:

The tidbits were phenomenal. It's obvious that it took an incredible amount of time and work to put it all together. The vintage photos are my favorite; I love to see how things "really looked".

Thanks again to our leaders and everyone who makes this place a class act! :smiliewithhearts:

:reader: Loose Lips Lola

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:38 pm 

Its very nice indeed to hear from someone outside our little book club to notice how great it is to be a noodlemantra. Its well known here and we are aware of how lucky we are for our two dedicated gals who work so hard to keep it great. You set the standards and because we enjoy it so much we try to live up to them.

Its nice of Mr Burrough to notice that the tidbits are great and we look forward to them because we have been spoiled.

I am glad that Bryan likes that we really get into our discussions, and I understand that could be painful at times if you are the writer.

I think he should be aware that we are sometimes painfully truthful, and get so into our debates that we have even been known to change our views on different points because we get to see them through someone else's eyes.

Actually I think its high praise indeed that the author is interested enough to read our views.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:13 pm 

To write a book on the scale of Public Enemies, to devote the time and work to write a book that was so meticulously researched and footnoted and indexed, and at the same time very readable, takes a person of dedication and good character. I had the feeling from the beginning that Mr Burrough would want to know what we really thought because he has an interest in truth. I myself said some of the "painful" stuff..... ... the word "drudgery" comes to mind..... :blush: It has been a funny thing to be aware that the author was probably reading our discussion ..... and to know that we would be going along as usual, speaking our minds, expressing ourselves fully, even if sometimes we said things that were "painful."

As it turns out in every case at ONBC, though I cannot passionately love every single book we read, the experience enriches my life and I don't regret reading a single one of them!

Mr Burrough, if you are out there, I hope you will get reassurance from us as Johnny Depp fans. We here at ONBC are all nuts about the man and his talent, but it is because he too is a thoughtful, intelligent, kind, and totally wonderful human being who gives his very best to every role he plays. Your book and Dillinger's memory could not be in better hands.

Sugar Lips Sparrow

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:20 pm 

gemini wrote:
Its very nice indeed to hear from someone outside our little book club to notice how great it is to be a noodlemantra. Its well known here and we are aware of how lucky we are for our two dedicated gals who work so hard to keep it great. You set the standards and because we enjoy it so much we try to live up to them.

Its nice of Mr Burrough to notice that the tidbits are great and we look forward to them because we have been spoiled.

I am glad that Bryan likes that we really get into our discussions, and I understand that could be painful at times if you are the writer.

I think he should be aware that we are sometimes painfully truthful, and get so into our debates that we have even been known to change our views on different points because we get to see them through someone else's eyes.

Actually I think its high praise indeed that the author is interested enough to read our views.

As you know, Gemini, your thoughts are VERY important to me... and SO are Mr. Burroughs! It is SO very cool that he has paid attention to our views! Very high praise indeed...especially because I'm not a big ONBC poster...I get a little nervous! And a special thanks to Liz and DITHOT for all y'all have done!!! Thank y'all very much!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:41 pm 

Thanks, LilMissy! You are always welcome to read and/or post whenever you can. Don't be shy! :blush:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]