Public Enemies Question #22 ~ Public Enemies The Movie

by Bryan Burrough

Moderator: Liz

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:14 am

Sheri wrote:I love the time period of the '20's and '30's so the entire movie will be a treat for me. However, specifically, I'm interested in the bank robbery scenes and how they plan to portray Dillinger. I know the focus is primarily on him, but if they include all the Enemies that are in the book, I'd like to see their interpretation of the Kansas City Massacre, Little Bohemia, the capture of Bonnie and Clyde, Fred and Ma Barker, and of course, Dillinger. I'd like to see a little bit on Karpis, I don't think it was much of an accident that he was the last one captured, he was much more intelligent than the others.

This is off-topic (sorry) but didn't I read someplace that Giovanni Ribisi is going to play Karpis?
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa
savvy avi by mamabear

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:06 pm

I have been keeping a list of the cast, and I do have Ribisi listed as playing Karpis. Tomorrow's question will feature the list and pictures of each of the cast that members that have been announced so far. At least I hope I've kept up with the list! :blush: We'll find out tomorrow! :eyebrow:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

teacher

Unread postby teacher » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:49 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:I have been keeping a list of the cast, and I do have Ribisi listed as playing Karpis. Tomorrow's question will feature the list and pictures of each of the cast that members that have been announced so far. At least I hope I've kept up with the list! :blush: We'll find out tomorrow! :eyebrow:

This book seems to have million characters and parallel plotlines. Do you think they will keep all of them in the movie? If so, do you think Mann will be able to hold all the strings together or is the film in danger of being too complicated? :-?
Yes, I have tricks in my pocket, I have things up my sleeve. But I am the opposite of a stage magician. He gives you illusion that has the appearance of truth. I give you truth in the pleasant disguise of illusion. - Tom Wingfield, Glass Menagerie

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:21 pm

teacher, if I had to guess just based on the casting and locations we have seen so far, I would be willing to bet that Dillinger and his gang are going to be the focus of the movie.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

neophyte

Unread postby neophyte » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:44 pm

I'm not looking to see whether particular incidents are in the flick, but I am really curious as to the adaptation. What's in, who's out - most importantly, do they keep the feel of the book? And will they let us see the seamy side of the Bureau, the abuses they stooped to in order to "get their man"? (I assume since it's Mann, we will get that!)

Probably my deepest wish is that Dillinger ISN'T portrayed as another Captain Jack Sparrow (e.g., the good hearted-in-the-end pirate). After reading the article about Depp & Mann's visit to the Dillinger Farm, I have hope that it will be a realistic depiction.
"There is no King, who, with sufficient force, is not always ready to make himself absolute."
---Thomas Jefferson

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:47 pm

I hope so too, at least to the character if not to all the historical plot accuracies. Johnny has a pretty good track record when he has portrayed real people so I have a good feeling about this one. :cool:

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “Public Enemies”