Public Enemies Question #19 ~ A Little Humor

by Bryan Burrough

Moderator: Liz

Lady Jill

Unread postby Lady Jill » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:53 pm

nebraska wrote:I was continually amazed by the bumbling of the FBI agents, who were always late and lost...........don't know if I found it particularly comical or not. I am trying to remember if I laughed out loud at any point in this book and I don't think I did. Some of it was like "you have got to be kidding me!" but I don't know that I thought it was truly funny.

Sugar

Sugar, this is what comes to my mine too. The Keystone Cops image. Bumbling cops, running every which way, cars with flats, blown radiators, doors flying open. Amazing.

Cajun Kitty
" After we're gone, the only thing that matters is the love we left behind."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:16 am

Linnie, as Betty Sue said, I was just referring to her by her gangster name, which she chose from the first discussion question. Sorry to confuse you.

Betty Sue, I thought you hadn’t arrived to FL yet when the power outage was on. Was there another one? I’ve never been to FL at this time of year, but I imagine it probably is lovely—mild and less humid than mid-summer, when I usually go.

You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:18 am

neophyte wrote:I thought Dillinger and Van Meter's movie idea was a hoot - the quote attributed to Van Meter, "you tell them that crime does not pay and I'll give my talk to the youth of America."

There are more bits that made me chuckle, but it's too early in the morning for me to remember them right now...

Another good one! :cool:

I was not good at making note of them this time around.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:16 pm

How about this one (pg.18):
Another notable Jazz Age yegg was Harvey Bailey, a onetime bootlegger so gentlemanly he termed the female hostages he loaded into his getaway cars "hostesses". :rotflmao:

And this (pg 153):
In the wake of the Dillinger gang's raids...the state of Indiana descended into something approaching wartime hysteria. Jumpy guardsmen threw up roadblocks across the state, so many that Matt Leach's boss was obliged to warn Halloween partygoers against doing anything that might cause them to be confused with Dillinger. :clown:

It's amusing to imagine Johnny playing Johnnie; to wit (pg. 95):
Dillinger, wearing a straw boater, walked inside, drew a revolver, and smiled. "This is a stickup," he announced, chewing a piece of gum.

or (pg. 186):
...that day Dillinger performed like a hungry actor on a brightly lit stage... He noticed Wilgus (the bank guard) eyeing his submachine gun. 'Oh, don't be afraid of this,' Dillinger said. 'I'm not even sure it'll shoot.'
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa
savvy avi by mamabear

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:33 pm

:biglaugh: Thanks, Parlez!

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:31 pm

Good ones, Parlez! :disco: I guess there was more humor than I realized.

Sugar

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:11 am

Thanks to those who took the time to find the comical tidbits in this long crime-filled book! Cute! I knew there were quite a few places that made me smile, but (my excuse again) I've been too busy enjoying the warmth of Florida to dig. (That was the only outage, Liz. We've been here for awhile.)
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

Return to “Public Enemies”