Interesting info re: roads - for context

by Bryan Burrough

Moderator: Liz

neophyte

Interesting info re: roads - for context

Unread postby neophyte » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:14 am

This really put the days of PE into context for me - maybe it will for you all too.

I've just been given an Official Road Map of Missouri from 1928, which boasts of "7640 miles of state roads." The map is marked as to road type: paved (concrete), gravel, or earth (dirt). It doesn't include the "farm to market" or cat roads, which were of course pretty primitive anyway.

I did some measuring and figured that of those 7640 miles of road, less than 1200 miles were paved, and those primarily the east-west stretches between St. Louis and Kansas City, Springfield and Jasper, and some roads north and south out of St. Jo. and in the extreme southeast corner of the state.

Imagine all those miles of driving these folks did (think Bonnie and Clyde and their runs after the shootouts) - on mostly narrow dirt and gravel tracks.
"There is no King, who, with sufficient force, is not always ready to make himself absolute."
---Thomas Jefferson

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:31 am

neophyte, what a treasure! Again we put ourselves back into the realities of the day. Think of the cars from those times and what a ride that must have been! :headache:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:14 pm

It puts it into perspective, doesn't it?

I've thought about those cars, also, DITHOT.

Neophyte, is there any way you can scan parts of it? I imagine it is probably too big to scan the entire map.....but maybe the area around Joplin and Platte City?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:29 pm

Below are two scans of the 1928 Missouri State Road system map. ( :thanks: Neophyte) One of Platte County & area, the other is Jasper County (Joplin) and area out to Springfield.

Legend for map:

Bold lines = concrete or high type complete
Dashed line = gravel or stone
double line = graded earth, not all-weather
single line - all-weather maintained by state
--- not all-weather not maintained by state

Jasper County (Joplin) 1928:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/Liz-ONBC/Public%20Enemies/Missouri/MO1928JasperCoEnvirons.jpg

Platte County 1928:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/Liz-ONBC/Public%20Enemies/Missouri/MO1928PlatteCoEnviron1.jpg

This is a mapquest map of the approximate area that is highlighted in red on the Platte County map:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/Liz-ONBC/Public%20Enemies/Missouri/BCPlatteCountyArea.jpg

Commentary from Neophyte:

As you can see from the Mapquest map, there still aren't a lot of roads there - so it would be tricky to get around and get the heck out of the area, which is why Clyde had to head north, then turn around south to KC, grab another road (maybe via St Jo?) and into Iowa up to Dexter. Also, note the road on the Mapquest map marked Interurban Road. This was not a road at that time. It was the Kansas City Clay County & St Joseph Electric Railroad, an interurban train system running between KC and St. Jo, so not a potential escape road!

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Moonlight

Unread postby Moonlight » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:32 pm

Wow, that's so interesting! :yikes: :cool: Thanks so much! I think following this route would be quite an interesting trip, na? ;-)
"Johnny Depp really is a cutie." - Satchel, lead guitarist in Steel Panther :heart:

jansy

Unread postby jansy » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:40 pm

Hey Neo...thanks for reminding us a little of what it was like. I remember seeing Bonnie & Clyde and it hit me then that those non-Midas-shocked vehicles bounced and jounced over a LOT of unpaved, rutted, rocky roads. It is amazing to me that these folks literally chased (and were chased) all over the mid-West (and mid-South).
There are four questions of value in life... What is sacred? Of what is the spirit made? What is worth living for, and what is worth dying for? The answer to each is the same. Only love.
-------
Co-Owner: johnnydeppocd(dot)com

neophyte

Unread postby neophyte » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:19 pm

I first learned to drive on some of those backroads, lol - sure didn't know B&C had used them, though! My grandpa took me out (shhh..I was below the legal driving age) - I guess he figured if you could drive on those, you could handle anything!
"There is no King, who, with sufficient force, is not always ready to make himself absolute."

---Thomas Jefferson

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:06 am

neophyte, thanks for sharing those! It is interesting that the area, at least in regards to roads, hasn't changed that much. Besides that pesky railway that got in their way I suspect there is farmland there as well?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

jdfan

Unread postby jdfan » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:18 am

Yikes I hate riding in the car now. :-O
I'm cooler online-Brad Paisley

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:58 am

Cool! Your "official" map looks almost hand-drawn.

Liberal, Kansas on the first scan makes me thing of a friend of mine who once said, "I've been to Kansas. There's nothing liberal there." (She also used to scream, "Johnny Depp!" whenever she walked into my kitchen, just because of one little POTC calendar on the wall. But that's another story.)

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:32 am

fansmom wrote:Cool! Your "official" map looks almost hand-drawn.

Liberal, Kansas on the first scan makes me thing of a friend of mine who once said, "I've been to Kansas. There's nothing liberal there." (She also used to scream, "Johnny Depp!" whenever she walked into my kitchen, just because of one little POTC calendar on the wall. But that's another story.)

:lol: Hey Fansmom, you can't just drop that bomb and leave. You need to give us "the rest of the story".

neophyte

Unread postby neophyte » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:55 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:neophyte, thanks for sharing those! It is interesting that the area, at least in regards to roads, hasn't changed that much. Besides that pesky railway that got in their way I suspect there is farmland there as well?

Yes - farms and woods. And also the Platte River winds its away through that area (and lots of creeks), and if you wanted to head south, or west of Kansas City, you'd have to cross the Missouri River (if you look at the old Platte County map, see the circled T's ad F's. - those indicate the bridges, Toll or Free, across the Missouri).

---Thomas Jefferson

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:14 pm

Not terribly friendly country in which to make a clean getaway. Maybe a good place to hide though.

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “Public Enemies”