Public Enemies Question #1 ~ Johnny as Dillinger

by Bryan Burrough

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:44 am

e_phemera, glad you got the book. I think you will enjoy it. I think Faye is a perfect name. There are a lot of Fayes in my family.

Billy the Girl glad you joined us.

Loose Lips Lola, welcome to ONBC and on your 7th post. And I would agree with you that Johnny likes to play people that really existed.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:57 pm

It's nice to see all the new, and returning, faces! :cool: Welcome, everyone! :welcome:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:58 pm

By the way, I would like to introduce myself. My name is Sugar Lips Sparrow..........but the gang just calls me Sugar. ;-) :biglaugh:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:09 pm

Youse guys are crackin' me up! :lol:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

neophyte

Unread postby neophyte » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:20 pm

Platte City Sal here. I used to traverse the same roads Bonnie & Clyde drove, and never realized it until now.

Not really an answer to the questions, but I think Depp 'll do justice to the role - he won't give us a stereotypical Dillinger, I'm sure of that.
"There is no King, who, with sufficient force, is not always ready to make himself absolute."
---Thomas Jefferson

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:19 pm

Platte City Sal, there is never anything stereotypical about Johnny to be sure! :cool:

Wow! What a ride!

Linda Lee

Unread postby Linda Lee » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:41 pm

Ma DITHOT and Lucky Liz, that's quite a gang youse gals got goin'.

Great answers and aliases, everyone.
Serenity is not freedom from the storm but peace within the storm. ~ Unknown

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:34 am

Linda Lee wrote:Ma DITHOT and Lucky Liz, that's quite a gang youse gals got goin'.

That it is, Rusty. :highfive:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

GAO

Unread postby GAO » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:42 pm

I have just finished reading Chatper 4 :bawl: (maybe my alias should be "Snail GAO"...) which means I don't know the whole story of Dillinger yet, but can't help writing this...

What indications do you get from the book that Johnny is perfect for this role?

When I read this section on the page 95, a very clear image that Johnny is playing this scene came up to my mind.

At precisely 2:40 P.M. the car stopped in front of the First National Bank on Main Street, which had been robbed just three years earlier. Dillinger, wearing a straw boater, walked inside, drew a revolver, and smiled. "This is a stickup," he announce, chewing a piece of gum.

Isn't it too perfect for Johnny as Dillinger?

I can't explain why well, but I just felt that this guy had very unique and charming personality, though he was a fearsome gangster.
I thought it could be one of the reasons why Johnny was interested in this guy.
Keep breathing.
Keep moving forward.
Be happy.
---Johnny Depp---

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:53 pm

GAO wrote:I have just finished reading Chatper 4 :bawl: (maybe my alias should be "Snail GAO"...) which means I don't know the whole story of Dillinger yet, but can't help writing this...

What indications do you get from the book that Johnny is perfect for this role?

When I read this section on the page 95, a very clear image that Johnny is playing this scene came up to my mind.

At precisely 2:40 P.M. the car stopped in front of the First National Bank on Main Street, which had been robbed just three years earlier. Dillinger, wearing a straw boater, walked inside, drew a revolver, and smiled. "This is a stickup," he announce, chewing a piece of gum.

Isn't it too perfect for Johnny as Dillinger?

I can't explain why well, but I just felt that this guy had very unique and charming personality, though he was a fearsome gangster.
I thought it could be one of the reasons why Johnny was interested in this guy.

:lol: Oh GAO, I'm so glad you posted that passage and that you have joined the discussion. I remember reading that excerpt and thinking the same thing, but I had forgotten about it. Thanks for reminding me and allowing me and everyone else the pleasure of reading it again. :cool:

shadowydog

Unread postby shadowydog » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:12 pm

Any more questions :grin:

"Nevada girl"

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:38 pm

Hey Nevada girl….

He looks like he could leap over that teller cage without any problems at all.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:05 pm

I found this PBS article on Dillinger that puts some light on some of the sides of him we have not seen.
I was not sure where to put it but thought this thread was a good spot.

Did you know he was a great seamstress? He excelled working in the shirt factory in prison.

Dillinger wrote a letter home to his father saying, " had his first sentence been more lenient he would not have come out of prison so bitter and his life would have been different."

Dillinger was devasted when his wife Beryl divorced him while he was in prison. He said "For four years I had looked forward to going back home, and now there wasn't going to be any home to go back to".

Dillinger refused to let Billie Frechette drink because of her Native American background and his belief that she might become an alcoholic.

His lawyer, Piquett, and O'Leary, his legal investigator, said Dillinger did not have a killer instinct.
(Maybe they didn't read his FBI file.)

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/dillinger/peopleevents/p_dillinger.html
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:11 pm

This a good place, gemini! I've used this article in some of the background and questions for this discussion. I think it gives an interesting insight into the different sides of his personality. A subject we will be discussing soon...

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “Public Enemies”