ONBC’s Next Book Selection ~ Public Enemies

by Bryan Burrough

Moderator: Liz

Raven

Unread postby Raven » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:04 pm

I started it last nite, it is very good!!
thanks Liz and DITHOT for the suggestion! :bounce:
"In my experience, those who do not like you fall into two categories: the stupid
and the envious."
John Wilmot, the 2nd Earl of Rochester in The Libertine by Stephen Jeffreys

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:48 pm

I am about 1/3 of the way through Pillars of the Earth (almost 1000 pages) -- I am going to be busy before this discussion begins!!!!!!!!

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:04 pm

Good to know that those of you that have started it are enjoying it. I think I need to get busy!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:59 pm

I picked PE up at the library yesterday and as soon as I got it home and opened it and saw those maps (maps!) I knew I was going to have to get my own copy! Luckily they had a used copy on hand at Powell's in Portland . It's on it's way!
:noodlemantra:
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa
savvy avi by mamabear

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:07 pm

Parlez wrote:I picked PE up at the library yesterday and as soon as I got it home and opened it and saw those maps (maps!) I knew I was going to have to get my own copy! Luckily they had a used copy on hand at Powell's in Portland . It's on it's way!

When I saw those maps the first thing I did was look for activity in Denver. Not much there. My grandma dated a mobster there; but I guess he won't be included in the book. :-/
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

LiMoss

Unread postby LiMoss » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:13 pm

Well, I'm not going out on a limb far enough to say that I'll be able to contribute to the discussion (couldn't keep up with Wait Until Spring and never had the chance to read Ask the Dust), but at the very least I'm going to read Public Enemies and follow along as much as I can. I just checked the online catalog, and my library has it on shelf, so I'm off to pick it up during lunch.

Great choice of book!! :cool:

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:34 pm

Liz wrote:
Parlez wrote:I picked PE up at the library yesterday and as soon as I got it home and opened it and saw those maps (maps!) I knew I was going to have to get my own copy! Luckily they had a used copy on hand at Powell's in Portland . It's on it's way!

When I saw those maps the first thing I did was look for activity in Denver. Not much there. My grandma dated a mobster there; but I guess he won't be included in the book. :-/

Yeah, I guess the Midwestern gangsters didn't cross enough state lines to get as far west as Denver! But I noticed a line in the book concerning the Boetscher family ~ they apparently suffered a kidnapping around the time of the Lindbergh kidnapping. News to me. So maybe there will be more references in the text to your grandma's friend and his ilk. :lol:

savvy avi by mamabear

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:00 pm

LiMoss, we're glad to have you aboard, posting or following along! :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Lucky13

Unread postby Lucky13 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:00 pm

Well Parlez, at least Denver was listed on one of the maps. You'll just have to come to Chicago for a visit !! :disco:

I went to see Phanton of the Opera on Sunday and was only about 4 miles from the Biograph Theater. If we weren't in the midst of ANOTHER ice storm, I would have taken a drive over there. :-/
Last edited by Lucky13 on Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ Yah, I wanna take that ride with you!

I'd rather have a moment of wonderful, than a lifetime of nothing special. April 7, 2008

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:12 pm

Lucky13 wrote:Well Parlez, at least Denver was listed on one of the maps. You'll just have to come Chicago for a visit !! :disco:

Absolutely! I can't wait to come to Chicago...say, in March? :omg:
I'm already envisioning taking the train east through the midwest like a proper 1930's gangster's moll! (we need a flapper emoticon!)
All aboard?!?

savvy avi by mamabear

Lucky13

Unread postby Lucky13 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:39 am

March would be good Parlez !!! :cool:

I'm liking this book more with every page I turn. Page 8 mentions "men in sharp fedoras"....hmmmmm sound like anyone we know? :slick:
~ Yah, I wanna take that ride with you!

I'd rather have a moment of wonderful, than a lifetime of nothing special. April 7, 2008

GAO

Unread postby GAO » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:02 am

Thanks to all of you, I got my copy on Wedensday.
(It was my mistake. Amazon.jp still had the last copy and I could bought it.)

As you can imagine, my reading speed is super slow, I have just reached the end of the first chapter. :blush:
But I am already very much addicted to the book.

To be able to join ONBC with this book or not is another story for me because my understanding level can never be as deep as yours, or I even don't know if I can reach the last page.
But I will at least be reading the discussions.

I am so happy for this great encounter to the book.
Thanks to you all. :cool:
Keep breathing.
Keep moving forward.
Be happy.
---Johnny Depp---

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:59 am

GAO wrote:Thanks to all of you, I got my copy on Wedensday.
(It was my mistake. Amazon.jp still had the last copy and I could bought it.)

As you can imagine, my reading speed is super slow, I have just reached the end of the first chapter. :blush:
But I am already very much addicted to the book.

To be able to join ONBC with this book or not is another story for me because my understanding level can never be as deep as yours, or I even don't know if I can reach the last page.
But I will at least be reading the discussions.

I am so happy for this great encounter to the book.
Thanks to you all. :cool:

Hang in there, GAO!!
I've found the reading rather a tough go ~ and English is my native language! Several times I've had to go back and reread what's been written. The author has a great, descriptive, style, but with so many names to keep track of and so many different stories going on at the same time, and in such detail, it's hard to stay focused...at least for me...at least at bedtime. :zzz:
But the stories are amazing and deppinately worth the effort! I can't wait to see what Liz and DitHoT do with the tidbits!

savvy avi by mamabear

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:02 am

It is slow going....but very interesting. And, Parlez, I've underlined quite a bit so far for tidbits.....and I'm about as far as GAO.

Thank you, GAO, for making such an effort to read the book and read the discussion. It shows your dedication to reading and to all things Johnny.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

rainbowsoul

Unread postby rainbowsoul » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:53 pm

I am still waiting for my copy to arrive :bawl: but I certainly hope to be able to join everyone when the discussion starts. Right now I am reading Sweeney Todd :blush:
No! Not Barker. That man is dead. It's Todd, now. Sweeney Todd. And he shall have his revenge...

Return to “Public Enemies”