ATD Question #25 ~ Bandini on Stage

by John Fante

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

ATD Question #25 ~ Bandini on Stage

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:03 am

On pg 10 of the P.S. section Fante writes in a letter to his cousin Jo,

“Oh yes, next year Bandini will appear on the New York Stage. Last week I signed papers authorizing a playwright to do it for the stage. Abbott will probably produce it, with Len Carillo playing the part of Svevo Bandini. Of course all of this is conditioned by a suitable adaptation, but I have a strong hunch it will succeed.”

Can you envision Fante’s work and Arturo’s character on the stage? Either as Wait Until Spring, Bandini or Ask the Dust?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:15 pm

Bandini the play? You bet! I already see Marlon Brando as Svevo and someone like Anna Magnani (sp) as Maria....two impossible casting choices today, but you get the picture. The play would be dark, of course, along the lines of Streetcar, but I think it might actually be more moving on stage, where the audience might even be coaxed into having a little sympathy for Svevo. :shocked:

ADT the play? Not so much. Too many characters moving around in too many different locations. I enjoyed that part about the book but I think it would be hard to capture the LA neighborhoods, etc., on stage. If they kept the setting just in Arturo's immediate neighborhood it might work. But then the story would lose something, IMO.
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa
savvy avi by mamabear

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:34 pm

I totally agree, Parlez. I think Bandini lends itself to the stage much better than ATD. ATD would lose a lot without the diverse neighborhoods in LA. To me, the setting of ATD was a character in itself. I think the characters in Bandini are strong enough for the stage. Plus much of the action was inside a house or hotel room. And I can see Marlon as Svevo.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:41 pm

A director would need more of an imagination than I have to make the earthquake in ATD convincing.

suec

Unread postby suec » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:12 pm

fansmom wrote:A director would need more of an imagination than I have to make the earthquake in ATD convincing.

:lol: Absolutely!
I can't imagine ATD as a stage play at all, but I can imagine Bandini as one. A few locations, which could be quite easily staged. Even being outside Rosa's house could be facilitated. The necessary conflict and resolution, with the breakdown in the marriage and Rosa's death as the low points.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:27 pm

Totally agree with all of you, and I'd love to see it! :bounce: Arturo's part would be pretty meaty, too! Lotsa pathos for everyone to use those acting skills on!
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:39 pm

I'm of the same mind until someone else comes along and changes it. :lol: So who would you cast?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

suec

Unread postby suec » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:05 pm

Aagh! I'm rubbish at this, but I'd stick with Benicio del Toro for Svevo and a late idea is Annette Bening as the mistress whose name escapes me right now. Still no inspiration for Maria though. Or any of the others, for that matter.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:14 pm

Benicio ~ yes!! He's one mean looking dude! (sexy!) Or I think Colin Farrell could likewise pull it off, and I bet he'd love the chance to play Svevo after having played Arturo in ATD. I like Annette Benning too, only I see the 'other woman' as being fair, in contrast to Bandini's dark complexion. There are quite a few gifted actresses who could play Maria.
Hmmm...I'm having a touch of deja-vu here! Haven't we discussed this before?? :hypnotic:
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa

savvy avi by mamabear

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:43 pm

Lovin' the Benecio as Svevo idea! We did talk about this in relation to the movie version, just wondering if the stage version brought up any other ideas.

Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:28 am

I can really see Annette in that role. But I’m not up on stage actors, so I don’t feel comfortable making a suggestion.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Return to “Ask the Dust”