It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: ATD Question #21 - Shades of Wait Until Spring, Bandini
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:27 am 
JDZ Moderator

Where do we see bits from Wait Until Spring, Bandini in this book?

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:32 pm 

It's really like a continuation of the story so we still have Arturo being impulsive, having trouble with his Catholic conscience, being devoted to a parent, not knowing how to handle girls/women, lacking confidence, ...
Both stories were rich in geographical detail. Both told of unrequited love--Rosa and Camilla. They both involved some strange women, Vera and the Widow, but, actually, almost everyone was a bit strange. :eyebrow: Both stories had a sweet dog involved at the end.
Both involved having nature make a change in circumstances. The coming of spring brightened everything up for Arturo in the first book, and the earthquake brought a positive change in him in the second.
Guess I'm just mentioning some similarities. Must get a few Christmas things done so that's about it for now...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:00 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Betty Sue wrote:
Must get a few Christmas things done so that's about it for now...

That's a lot! I had forgotten about the two dogs.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:14 pm 

Wow, I am impressed. I sort of drew a blank when I read this question but Betty Sue just dove right in and made a list. I was just thinking that they both were about people living in poverty or low economic times. They both do have ethnic issues, Italian immigrants in Bandini, and Spanish and others in ATD.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:06 pm 

It sounds like the same 'voice' to me, but then, it's the same author so that's as it should be I guess. However, the ranting and raving and going off on people and circumstances, all the grandiose plans and the bloody excuses for bad behavior sound depressingly familiar from one book to the next.
Arturo's gotten older but he hasn't grown up. :-/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:55 pm 

Betty Sue, that is an impressive list!!!!!! :thud: You really picked up on a lot of similar themes/impressions.

Honestly, I have a lot of trouble relating these two books even though the "same" Arturo is the main character. There is such a different emotional tone for me, the whole experience seems unrelated. WUSB is so emotionally raw and immediate, and ATD is half fantasy and none of it seems to have any immediacy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:27 am 
JDZ Moderator

I actually see fantasy in both, and I think both are emotionally raw (but maybe in a different way). In Bandini it tends to have more of a child’s point of view (the fantasy surrounding the movie he goes to see and the fantasies inspired by that movie, the fantasy he portrays to his mom about his dad---or was that only in the movie version…..CRAFT). HOWEVER, I agree with you, Nebraska, that there is more in ATD, or more of his inner thoughts. In fact, now that you are making me think about it, I feel that ATD is mostly about what’s inside of Arturo’s head, whereas Wait Until Spring, Bandini is about events happening in his life. In Bandini we get to see the events from the viewpoints of others, not just Arturo’s. ATD also has a very dreamy quality to it, which I liked very much. I liked the writing in ATD much more.

I see a lot of Svevo in Arturo, which I find disappointing…..his ego, his sensitivity about his heritage, his treatment of women.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:54 pm 

There is poverty in both, and that focus on the battle to get food sometimes. Also death features in both, as does Arturo's reflection on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:16 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Those are a couple more good parallels, Suec. :cool:

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]