Bandini Question #26 ~ Parting Words

by John Fante

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Bandini Question #26 ~ Parting Words

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:35 am

Last page…

Bandini looked at a patch of blue in the East. “Pretty soon we’ll have Spring,” he said. “We sure will!” Even as he spoke something tiny and cold touched the back of his hand. He saw it melt, a small star-shaped snowflake…

What does this passage mean to you?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:20 am

What this passage meant to me was that this book that I had enjoyed so much even had a perfect ending. So often I'll read a book enthusiastically, only to be disappointed by the ending.
All through the book we suffered the miseries and deprivation of the cold. Now we aren't promised the world, but what a glorious feeling of hope is given by that tiny, star-shaped snowflake's melting!! Such a tiny thing, but such a meaningful sign to them! And it's a new beginning for the two characters in the story who had started out so in need of hope. I think they've evolved. Guess I'll find out in the next book...
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

Linda Lee

Re: Bandini Question #26 ~ Parting Words

Unread postby Linda Lee » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:48 am

It symbolized hope. Spring, the season of rebirth, was coming and so was the reuninon of the Bandini family, and there was hope for their future too. Also Spring would be the time when work picks up for Svevo, jobs will be more plentiful.
Serenity is not freedom from the storm but peace within the storm. ~ Unknown

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:16 pm

Thanks for starting us off Betty Sue and Linda Lee. :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:35 pm

Well this does sum up the book. We only get a look into one season of their lives and its a pretty tragic one for the author to put it into words much later. He must be telling us that things do get better.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:47 pm

I still haven't figured this one out. He says that they are going to have spring soon, but then a snowflake falls. Maybe it is the idea of it melting on his hand that brings the hope of spring and new life (as Linda Lee pointed out).
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:51 pm

Liz wrote:I still haven't figured this one out. He says that they are going to have spring soon, but then a snowflake falls. Maybe it is the idea of it melting on his hand that brings the hope of spring and new life (as Linda Lee pointed out).
Hey Liz, you're pretty savvy about snow for someone who lives where you do! :cool:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:05 pm

My initial take on this was much more pessimistic (which is unusual being the Pollyanna that I normally am :baby: ). Hildegarde is out of their life, Svevo is on the way home, Arturo has a dog to care for and then they see the glimpse of blue sky, a ray of hope that spring and better times are on the way. But then a snowflake falls on his hand as if to say...no hope for the Bandinis today, sorry. But as you all have pointed out, the snowflake melts which is a much more positive symbol. I'm going with that. :lol:

Wow! What a ride!

Bermuda

Unread postby Bermuda » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:18 pm

Svevo's eyes were finally opened to the mistakes he had been making in his life. In his pride, Svevo had forgotten and neglected the people who were so important to him. He was once a happy man with a wife who adored him, a promising job, a home, and three fine sons. He fell on hard times and turned destructively towards gambling at the poolhall and engaging in an affair with a rich woman. When this woman attacked what he treasured most, namely his family and heritage- he found his strength once again. The sky once more was turning blue with the promise of spring; a re-awakening or rejuvenation of life. The grey of winter in his heart was fading along with the cold snowflake. It was melting on his hand due to the warmth that was now re-igniting in his heart.
"Shared laughter is love made audible."
~ Izzy Gesell ~

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:51 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote: But as you all have pointed out, the snowflake melts which is a much more positive symbol. I'm going with that. :lol:

Not to worry! I'm sure we were to take the melting as a positive symbol....at least for their feelings of that moment. We'll stay tuned... :baby:
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:58 pm

Betty Sue wrote:
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote: But as you all have pointed out, the snowflake melts which is a much more positive symbol. I'm going with that. :lol:

Not to worry! I'm sure we were to take the melting as a positive symbol....at least for their feelings of that moment. We'll stay tuned... :baby:

But you see, that was why I couldn't figure it out. It seemed like winter was returning. But the Pollyanna in me (which usually isn't there) told me that maybe it was the melting on the hand that made it positive.

Fansmom wrote:Hey Liz, you're pretty savvy about snow for someone who lives where you do!

:lol: I'm a skier, fansmom. And we have some awesome snow here in the Sierras. :cool:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

suec

Unread postby suec » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:54 am

Like DIDHOT, I saw it as being a little more pessimistic, but I guess I would do, being often a glass half-empty kind of person. But setting that aside, here I think it is both. The glass is both half full and half empty. Yes, spring is on the way, but it isn't here yet. They are out of the woods, but not yet home. So, still the bad times. But there is beauty in them, in the snowflake that after all, falls from the heavens. So, I think it's about accepting the good and the bad, and seeing the positives in both. Truly seeing, that is, and not deluding oneself.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:02 am

Also, in Colorado, the weather can be a real tease. It can look and feel like spring, but it's not! There will be one or two more surprising snowfalls, just when you think winter is over. It actually can take a long time for winter to pass and for spring to get underway. Maybe there's a metaphor in there; maybe not... :perplexed:
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa
savvy avi by mamabear

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:39 am

suec, your explanation works for me too. :cool:

Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:58 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:suec, your explanation works for me too. :cool:

I like that explanation too. :cool:

Return to “Wait Until Spring, Bandini”