Bandini Question #19 ~ Gert

by John Fante

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Bandini Question #19 ~ Gert

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:08 am

Pg. 241-242. What do you think of Gert’s actions? What were her motivations?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:50 am

I thought it was pretty horrible that Gertie lied and said that Rosa said Arturo made her "shiver" because he was so "terrible," but I could understand her motivation for lashing out at him when he regularly called her "stupid,", "lunkhead," "dumb." Then there was "You dirty little blond bitch" and "You milk cow always chewing your cud." !!!!! :eyebrow: His approach was pretty much guaranteed NOT to work in getting information on Rosa! :-O (Possibly, she even was jealous that Arturo was so interested in Rosa and had so little respect for her? :-? )
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

Linda Lee

Unread postby Linda Lee » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:48 am

Children can be very cruel to one another. I think Gert was jealous of Arturo's singleminded devotion to Rosa. She used the slur "Dago" and was humiliated when he responded with "You dirty little blond bitch". She saw a way to get her revenge and took it with the note, knowing his weakness was Rosa.
Serenity is not freedom from the storm but peace within the storm. ~ Unknown

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:58 pm

She was being as mean as she possibly could using the cruelest words she could think of. I am not quite clear on her motivations......whether it was jealousy, anger, or just a continuation of their feud. I wonder if she realized how very sick Rosa really was, and if like some of you, she blamed Arturo for her pneumonia? I am not sure kids always need a clear motive for being nasty to each other, so their general antagonism might have been enough to get her "going" and she found the most horrible ammunition she could use.

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:03 pm

These two kids had quite a feud going, didn't they! The classroom often mirrors the outside world and students tend to mimic what's being said at home. Arturo was not the most charming kid ~ in fact, his behavior in class was pretty alarming. In today's school system he'd be pegged for some extra counseling for sure! But what I thought was interesting with Arturo and Gert is that usually the female is more verbal in a verbal battle, but Arturo held his own! He came up with the ammunition, the words, he needed whilst a lot of boys would've been left tongue-tied. I think that might be seen as a sign of a future wordsmith! But, in the end, Gert was closer to Rosa than Arturo even hoped to be, and she didn't hesitate to capitalized on that fact and deal him the death blow with her words, knowing he'd have no choice but to believe what she said was true.
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa
savvy avi by mamabear

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:50 pm

Arturo was definitely lacking in the social skills department! Gert, like Rosa, seemed to think she was above Arturo a level or two in the hierarchy of society. I agree that she was probably mimicing what she heard at home, just as we know Rosa did. I've never understood how kids can be so cruel but it certainly is true.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:30 pm

Gert was showing a very common encounter among youngsters of the opposite sex. They start out with a crush and taunt each other for attention and then when feelings are hurt it becomes nasty. With Gert and Arturo there probably was jealousy over Rosa and even some class prejudice. I think Gerts comment about his Italian background was not her true feelings because Rosa was also Italian and her friend.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

suec

Unread postby suec » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:31 am

They each of them feel superior to the other. Probably both of them are jealous over Rosa. He hates her beforehand anyway - though this is a word he uses rather too freely, to say the least - but Gertie would know that, and not just because he is abusive. She would sense it. That in itself can be provocation for spite for some. Then there is the fact that she hungers for boys. On some level, she 'd be mad about the fact that he isn't interested in her, even if she does look down on him. So the motives may be there already before the clash during Rosa's absence - but the means come from somewhere else. If indeed it was Rosa's mother who told her - what was she thinking of? If such information is shared, it is perhaps not so surprising that Gertie thinks she can use it. But perhaps it was something she overheard. If it was Rosa who told her, why not say so?

The note is terrible; writing those things down is much worse than saying them. But the content is intriguing: "Rosa told me last night you made her shiver because you were so terrible". A rather interesting choice of words in view of the fact that he has pushed her into the snow. Rosa may have been referring to that - if indeed, she said it at all. In any case, Gertie doesn't refer to that incident. It is hard to know what is and isn't truth in this note, but I guess that is in keeping with the characters' own perceptions.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:08 am

suec wrote:But the content is intriguing: "Rosa told me last night you made her shiver because you were so terrible".

Good catch, Suec!

Good answers all around! I have to confess that I was so angry with Gert, I didn’t take too much time to think about why she did what she did. But now that I think about it, she was on the edge of that age range (middle school) where the kids can be pretty mean.

Sorry I was AWOL yesterday. I spent the day in San Francisco and happened to see a nice little play called Sweeney Todd. More on that later in another post….
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:51 pm

We talked before about what it was like to be that age and have the 'creepy kid staring at you' in class all the time. From that angle, Gert might very well have gone on the offensive with Arturo simply as Rosa's friend and not as an attempt to get his romantic attentions focused on her instead. I get the feeling all the girls thought Arturo was a bit of a freak, and somewhat dangerous, so I could see one of them eventually stepping up and letting him have it when they got the chance. Gert got the chance. Her maliciousness might have come from the pent up feelings all the girls had toward Arturo.

:cool: WOW Liz! I'm looking forward to your report on ST!!!
Last edited by Parlez on Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa

savvy avi by mamabear

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:22 pm

Parlez wrote:We talked before about what it was like to be that age and have the 'creepy kid staring at you' in class all the time. From that angle, Gert might very well have gone on the offensive with Arturo simply as Rosa's friend and not as an attempt to get his romantic attentions focused on her instead. I get the feeling all the girls thought Arturo was a bit of a freak, and somewhat dangerous, so I could see one of them eventually stepping up and letting him have it when they got the change. Gert got the chance. Her maliciousness might have come from the pent up feelings all the girls had toward Arturo.

:cool: WOW Liz! I'm looking forward to your report on ST!!!

In a few, Parlez. I'm working on putting some pics in the bucket.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Return to “Wait Until Spring, Bandini”