Bandini Question #12 - Keepsakes

by John Fante

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Bandini Question #12 - Keepsakes

Unread postby Liz » Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:23 pm

Pg. 58-59. “He stamped his feet, his breath spouting white clouds. No Rosa. Then in the deep snow off the path his cold face bent to study the small foot-print of a girl. Rosa’s—who’s else but Rosa, in this yard. His cold fingers grubbed the snow from around the print, and with both hands he scooped it up and carried it away with him down the street.”

Gilbert saves Becky’s slice of watermelon. Arturo scoops up Rosa’s snowy footprint. Why do men do this type of thing in books? Do you think this is reflective of real life?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:23 pm

Good question, especially for a group of Johnny Depp fans! I'd say such worshipful, obsessive behavior is not just a male thing! :lol: How many of us have mementos or keepsakes of Johnny around the house? Hmmmm??

In this story, what's disturbing, and takes away the charm and tenderness of Gilbert's watermelon keepsake, is that Arturo reverently retrieves his beloved's footprint from the snow, but later he doesn't have a moment's hesitation about shoving said beloved down into it. :mad:
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa
savvy avi by mamabear

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:40 pm

In this story, what's disturbing, and takes away the charm and tenderness of Gilbert's watermelon keepsake, is that Arturo reverently retrieves his beloved's footprint from the snow, but later he doesn't have a moment's hesitation about shoving said beloved down into it.
I'm with you on that, Parlez!

My DH doesn't keep anything. I don't know whether it's his unsentimental side, or if it's because he grew up in a Coast Guard family that moved every few years. (He threw out the first drawing our daughter made for him, but it's been 18 years, so I've almost forgiven him.)

My father, on the other hand, hangs on to all kinds of sentimental things. (He has my baby teeth, and I'll be 50 soon.) Cleaning out my parents' house when they move to a retirement community is going to be quite a chore.

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:45 pm

When men save some unusual memento in a book it gives the reader the message that he's sentimental and very interested in the girl. Painting this sweet picture is a nice way to get it across. As Parlez notes, we JD admirers know it's reflective of real life, men and women. I will not go into what I saved in my youth. :blush:
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:59 pm

Mmm, do we know anyone who gets tattoos to memorialize events?

Betty Sue wrote: I will not go into what I saved in my youth. :blush:
Oh, tell us, pleeeeeze? :lol:

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:12 pm

fansmom wrote:

Would you believe 'Hugh's whisker burn'? (That's what the envelope is labeled!) Now why did I tell that!!!?? :banghead:
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:57 pm

Betty Sue wrote:
fansmom wrote:

Would you believe 'Hugh's whisker burn'? (That's what the envelope is labeled!) Now why did I tell that!!!?? :banghead:

I’m curious how one would save that? TMI? :lol:

fansmom wrote:
In this story, what's disturbing, and takes away the charm and tenderness of Gilbert's watermelon keepsake, is that Arturo reverently retrieves his beloved's footprint from the snow, but later he doesn't have a moment's hesitation about shoving said beloved down into it.
I'm with you on that, Parlez!

And we go back to that cycle of his—his constant struggle between good and evil, childhood and adulthood, dependence and independence, love and hate.

fansmom wrote:My DH doesn't keep anything. I don't know whether it's his unsentimental side, or if it's because he grew up in a Coast Guard family that moved every few years. (He threw out the first drawing our daughter made for him, but it's been 18 years, so I've almost forgiven him.)

My DH was an Air Force brat; so maybe that explains him…….except that he has an extremely difficult time letting go of cars. :banghead:

Betty Sue wrote:When men save some unusual memento in a book it gives the reader the message that he's sentimental and very interested in the girl. Painting this sweet picture is a nice way to get it across.

I like this idea, Betty Sue. It had not occurred to me, but it works and causes me (the reader) to be more sympathetic with the character.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Bermuda

Unread postby Bermuda » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:50 pm

I think we all keep things of senitmental value. (Even if it is just photographs!) My Dad kept so many of the pictures I made as a little girl as well as many of my children's pictures. My husband also kept letters and cards I sent him, as well as my children's cards and pictures.

My Dad would always inscribe a book whenever he gave it to me. Now, whenever I see one of those books and see his signature, I run my fingers over it and it makes me feel close to him again just because he touched them! :heart2: I remember that he had given them to me with much love. Sometimes I close my eyes and hug them. They awaken my memories. It's a very nice feeling.

I think Arturo did the same thing with the snow just for those same reasons. He knew Rosa had walked there, and he wanted somehow to feel her presence again.
"Shared laughter is love made audible."
~ Izzy Gesell ~

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:26 pm

Just a thought but both of these guys saved things that would not last. Does that mean their sentimentality is a fleeting thing?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

suec

Unread postby suec » Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:54 am

gemini wrote:Just a thought but both of these guys saved things that would not last. Does that mean their sentimentality is a fleeting thing?

I think it is in this book gemini. I also think that other things are too. Svevo's blood is dropped onto the snow and Arturo rushes to scuff the snow to hide its mark. The rosary is tossed onto the same spot, with Maria searching into the same bit of snow for the beads, which bothers Arturo. It's all pretty fleeting.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:37 am

suec wrote:
gemini wrote:Just a thought but both of these guys saved things that would not last. Does that mean their sentimentality is a fleeting thing?

I think it is in this book gemini. I also think that other things are too. Svevo's blood is dropped onto the snow and Arturo rushes to scuff the snow to hide its mark. The rosary is tossed onto the same spot, with Maria searching into the same bit of snow for the beads, which bothers Arturo. It's all pretty fleeting.

Interesting point, gemini. And I totally agree....in this book. I don't think so with Gilbert. Maybe what was fleeting for him....was his happiness.

Return to “Wait Until Spring, Bandini”