Bandini Question #9 ~ Perception

by John Fante

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Bandini Question #9 ~ Perception

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:48 am

Lets discuss Arturo and Rosa and their different perceptions of their relationship.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:17 pm

I'm not sure Rosa would qualify her situation with Arturo as a relationship. To her I think he was just a class-mate she'd known all her life and liked, just as she liked all of her other friends. But Arturo's perception of the situation was that she was his one true love, right up there with baseball as the most important thing in his life. He was quite obsessed with her, and I didn't find this too unusual for his age (I well remember those days!! :grin:). But he really needed an outlet for his problems, and I think dreaming about a future with her helped. Maria had her rosary, Svevo had Effie Hildegarde, and Arturo had Rosa.
Last edited by Betty Sue on Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

nebraska

Re: Bandini Question #9 ~ Perception

Unread postby nebraska » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:52 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Lets discuss Arturo and Rosa and their different perceptions of their relationship.

Thank goodness you guys are asking only easy questions in this discussion......... :biglaugh:

I need to refresh my memory a bit, I am getting movie Rose mixed up with book Rosa.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:56 pm

nebraska wrote:
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Lets discuss Arturo and Rosa and their different perceptions of their relationship.

Thank goodness you guys are asking only easy questions in this discussion......... :biglaugh:

I need to refresh my memory a bit, I am getting movie Rose mixed up with book Rosa.

:capnjack:

I believe that they were the same character--but portrayed differently in the movie. And the relationship was not as significant in the movie.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:04 pm

Liz wrote:
nebraska wrote:

:capnjack:

I believe that they were the same character--but portrayed differently in the movie. And the relationship was not as significant in the movie.

In the movie I think she was the landlord/banker's daughter, rich and not Italian, which added another layer of meaning to everything.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:49 pm

BettySue, I like that idea of Rosa as an escape for Arturo just like his parents had their own escapes. It was definitely an adolescent crush and I think he also saw Rosa as someone who could give him respect and an ego boost if she would return his feelings.

I agree that Rosa didn't see a relationship but she knew that Arturo wanted one with her. What was her perception?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

stroch

Unread postby stroch » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:06 pm

He was that irritating creepy guy who was always staring at you in class.
I'll buy you the hat....a really big one.
St. Roch -- patron saint of pilgrims

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:37 pm

stroch wrote:He was that irritating creepy guy who was always staring at you in class.

:rotflmao: Right!
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa
savvy avi by mamabear

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:28 am

Parlez wrote:
stroch wrote:He was that irritating creepy guy who was always staring at you in class.

:rotflmao: Right!

Good one, Stroch! :lol:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:17 am

Well , knowing Johnny was thinking of playing Arturo in "Ask the Dust" before I read "Bandini" made me picture Arturo as a young insecure Johnny. So that irritating creepy guy can stare all he wants. :lol:
As for their relationship the creepy guy phase is right on. Arturo was in love and Rosa didn't know there was a relationship.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Return to “Wait Until Spring, Bandini”