Two Announcements~Monday Night Thread & Our Next Book

by John Fante

Moderator: Liz

rainbowsoul

Unread postby rainbowsoul » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:57 pm

Betty Sue wrote::-/ Amazon will not be sending me a third replacement. They have learned how widespread the problem is, are investigating it, but cannot guarantee that the error will be fixed. I'm to keep the second book, and they're refunding my money. No Johnny intro arriving..... :-/

I guess that I should expect the wrong book as well then, Betty Sue :sigh:

So is the problem that the book as advertised on the Amazon UK site doesn't exist? How exactly is it that they are advertising a book that they seem unable to actually deliver?

Strange.....
:-/
No! Not Barker. That man is dead. It's Todd, now. Sweeney Todd. And he shall have his revenge...

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:25 pm

rainbowsoul, Liz has contacted the publisher, Cannongate, and is waiting to hear if the book with the intro by Johnny does indeed exist. We do want to let everyone know that we will be going ahead with our discussion of Wait Until Spring, Bandini as announced.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:14 am

MYSTERY SOLVED.... :-/

From Canongate this morning:

Dear Liz,

Your message has been forwarded to me. I'm so sorry to hear of your and your bookgroup's disappointment about this. Johnny Depp was writing an introduction to this, but became so busy with filming and also with his daughter being ill, that in the end - despite delaying publication considerably - we had to go ahead and publish without his introduction, using Dan Fante's excellent and knowledgeable words instead. It's possible Johnny Depp may produce an introduction at some point in the future, as he is a big fan of John Fante's.

If you would like to return the books we will refund you, or if you would prefer to swap the books with others amounting to the same value from our website, please let us know and we shall do that.

I am so sorry once again for your inconvenience and disappointment. We will remind Amazon to change the entry for this title and make sure our website is also up-to-date.

Kind regards,

Managing Editor
Canongate Books
www.canongate.net
Last edited by Liz on Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:25 am

Well it very nice of them to get back to you and explain :cool:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:34 am

Quite nice, GG! I never would have expected them to give me that much information about Johnny. I really appreciate it. And I realize that I probably should take her name off the letter for all the world to see. :dunce: It will have gone poof shortly.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:42 am

It was very nice of her to explain what happened. And now that it's all settled, I can order the book on this side of the pond and save a bunch on shipping costs.

Thanks to everyone for their persistence in getting to the bottom of this little mystery.
:cool:

Charlie

Unread postby Charlie » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:51 pm

Thanks very much all, I'm pleased to have an explanation for this and a comprehensive one at that :cool:
Stay true to your path and make a positive difference to the lives of those you touch.

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:45 pm

I just finished this book this morning, and I'm so glad we'll still be discussing it! The edition I got is published by Ecco, an imprint of HarperCollins (paperback, US$16.00), with a preface by the author. Said preface, considering the story, is quite meaningful in its own right. If at some point during the discussion you all want me to copy out John Fante's preface I'll be happy to do so, unless we all end up with the same book.
Anyway, I'm glad we got to the bottom of the mystery concerning the introduction - a publisher's nightmare and an overall debacle by Amazon, IMO.
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa
savvy avi by mamabear

LadyAbberline

Unread postby LadyAbberline » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:04 pm

When does the discussion begin? :eyebrow:
:heart: KeithUrban 5*9*09 State College PA ~MY PENGUINS Won the STANLEY CUP!
Love my STEELERS, 6-time-Superbowl-Champs :grin:

rainbowsoul

Unread postby rainbowsoul » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:24 pm

Thank you SO much for the information, Liz. I am impressed that they responded in such detail and it makes perfect sense knowing the background now as to why this has happened.

I may take a look at their online catalogue and return on of my books in trade!

Thanks again for uncovering the reasons behind the mystery.

:chill:
No! Not Barker. That man is dead. It's Todd, now. Sweeney Todd. And he shall have his revenge...

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:53 pm

Mystery finally solved! Thanks, Liz for all your persistance in getting to the bottom of things. :cool: I'm glad Cannongate was so quick in their response. I'm glad they will contact Amazon as well so as to clear up any further confusion.

Parlez, I have the same edition as you and we will be using John Fante's introduction in our discussion. It is very interesting!

Lady Abberline, tidbits will begin around August 6 and the discussion around the first of September. You have plenty of time if you would like to participate. I hope we will see you!
:disco:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

LadyAbberline

Unread postby LadyAbberline » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:54 pm

Thanks for letting me know, DeppITHOT. I am excited about this! :bounce: I tend to start books and never finish....I am determined to finish this one (think I am on page 22 now)
My problem is I can't read with my noisy kids around and so I read at night, resulting in me falling asleep after I read 3 pages. Shameful :blush:
I did not order mine from Amazon and I feel for all of the Zoners who have been terribly frustrated for days, at least now we know....
:heart: KeithUrban 5*9*09 State College PA ~MY PENGUINS Won the STANLEY CUP!
Love my STEELERS, 6-time-Superbowl-Champs :grin:

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:13 pm

Well, it is good to finally have an answer.....but very sad news that Johnny did not get an introduction written. He is a powerful writer and I would have loved to know what he had to say about this book. I have barely begun it, but I am really impressed with the writing style. I know we will enjoy it enormously........

Meanwhile, did anyone ever figure out what Johnny was reading on the yacht?

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:19 pm

LadyAbberline, keep reading when you can. We're looking forward to having you join us for the discussion! :cool:

nebraska, I agree. I would love to read Johnny's thoughts about this book. :bawl: I haven't seen that our master :sherlockholmes: have been able to determine anything about the book on the yacht.

Wow! What a ride!

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:28 pm

nebraska wrote:Well, it is good to finally have an answer.....but very sad news that Johnny did not get an introduction written. He is a powerful writer and I would have loved to know what he had to say about this book.

That's how I feel. I got two free books out of it :blush: but will be wondering what Johnny was going to write. Always fascinating! Thanks so much, Liz, for getting it solved! :bouquet:
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

Return to “Wait Until Spring, Bandini”