Two Announcements~Monday Night Thread & Our Next Book

by John Fante

Moderator: Liz

KYwoman
Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson

Unread postby KYwoman » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:30 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
KYwoman wrote:
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Fante considered Charles Bukowski his "literary godfather" and he is sometimes called a grandfather to the Beats. You can draw the line from there to Johnny... :noodlemantra:

I'm glad to see we have a lot of interest in this one.
:cool:

Oops, I think you meant Bukowski thought of Fante as his literary godfather. I'm really interested in seeing what Fante's writing style and subject matter is like. Not to mention hopefully getting a chance to read Johnny's intro to the book. :cool:

Thank you, KY...that is exactly what I meant. :blush: That's what happens when you post and run in the morning! :banghead:

:highfive:
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." :motorcycle:

rainbowsoul

Unread postby rainbowsoul » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:10 pm

PhD wrote:I'm such a sucker. I just ordered this book from Amazon UK. Forget that I could have had it for about 1/2 the price by buying it from Amazon US, and that Johnny's foreword will most likely be available on the Zone. :blush: It will be worth it as soon as the book arrives!

PhD - I just received a notice from AmazonUK - this book will not be out til August! :bawl: At least that is what I am now hearing. Did you get the same notice? Now I have to try to find a copy somewhere else!
:-|

Ah well....
No! Not Barker. That man is dead. It's Todd, now. Sweeney Todd. And he shall have his revenge...

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:16 pm

I got a used 1983 edition from Amazon.com's new and used dealers in great shape and reasonably priced. Hope to read Johnny's forward, of course.......I am sure we will be able to do that eventually. But the basic book should remain the same no matter which edition we read. I have also purchased an ebay copy of the movie that was made from this book. I am planning to read the book first, however.

I think I am in for a new chapter in my Johnny-ONBC education! It is always an adventure. The man has really expanded my world!

magpie

Unread postby magpie » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:13 pm

Sounds interesting! My local library says they can get a copy for me through interlibrary loan :hope:
I'm having a thought here. . . .
. . if you simply try to tell the truth you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed it.
--C.S. Lewis

Linda Lee

Unread postby Linda Lee » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:02 pm

The new book sounds good, count me in.

I won't see you all on the Monday night thread, we're leaving in the AM for vacation. I'll check in when we get home and see what everyone had to say. Of course, I know the discussion may still be going on.
Serenity is not freedom from the storm but peace within the storm. ~ Unknown

PhD

Unread postby PhD » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:14 pm

rainbowsoul wrote:
PhD wrote:I'm such a sucker. I just ordered this book from Amazon UK. Forget that I could have had it for about 1/2 the price by buying it from Amazon US, and that Johnny's foreword will most likely be available on the Zone. :blush: It will be worth it as soon as the book arrives!

PhD - I just received a notice from AmazonUK - this book will not be out til August! :bawl: At least that is what I am now hearing. Did you get the same notice? Now I have to try to find a copy somewhere else!

Ah well....

Hmm.... I haven't received that notice (yet). I just checked, and my order still says I should expect it sometime during the week of July 16th.

Thanks for letting me know. I'm sure I'll be getting a notice soon. I'll have to adjust to having a version of the book without Johnny's introduction.... :-/
"Because, you know, it seems to me that, I mean, except for being a little mentally ill, she's pretty normal"

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:54 pm

PhD wrote:
rainbowsoul wrote:

Ah well....

Hmm.... I haven't received that notice (yet). I just checked, and my order still says I should expect it sometime during the week of July 16th.

Thanks for letting me know. I'm sure I'll be getting a notice soon. I'll have to adjust to having a version of the book without Johnny's introduction.... :-/

Bummer, Ted. :-/

nebraska wrote:I think I am in for a new chapter in my Johnny-ONBC education! It is always an adventure. The man has really expanded my world!

That's an understatement! :-O

Magpie, hope you join us for the discussion.

Linda Lee, we'll miss you at the Monday Night Thread. Hope you have a great vacation.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PhD

Unread postby PhD » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:56 am

rainbowsoul wrote:

Ah well....

I got my notice today... shipment delayed until mid or late August. :banghead:
"Because, you know, it seems to me that, I mean, except for being a little mentally ill, she's pretty normal"

nickidepphead

Unread postby nickidepphead » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:43 am

Well I've searched four libraries in my surrounding area, and NONE of them has it. I always seem to have this problem... :-/
* So...directly from the beautiful lips of Johnny Depp - THANK YOU VERY MUCH, Johnny Depp Zone! *

LiMoss

Unread postby LiMoss » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:26 am

PhD wrote:
rainbowsoul wrote:

Ah well....

I got the delay notice yesterday, too.

But this morning I received an email that it has shipped, estimated arrival date 7/19!! :cool:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:47 am

Well, that sounds promising, LiMoss. :bounce: Hope you join us for the discussion.

Nickidepphead, it wasn't in my library either, although his other books were. Try used book stores. I found a couple of his books at one in my area, but not Bandini. Good luck to you.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:01 am

Liz wrote:
Nickidepphead, it wasn't in my library either, although his other books were. Try used book stores. I found a couple of his books at one in my area, but not Bandini. Good luck to you.

I generally have really good luck with the new and used dealers at Amazon.com, too.

Charlie

Unread postby Charlie » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:14 am

PhD wrote:
rainbowsoul wrote:

Ah well....

They're still taking orders on this book and saying in stock with a delivery estimate of 16th July so :hope:
Stay true to your path and make a positive difference to the lives of those you touch.

Joni
JDZ Global Moderator

Unread postby Joni » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:56 pm

LiMoss wrote:I got the delay notice yesterday, too.

But this morning I received an email that it has shipped, estimated arrival date 7/19!! :cool:

Same here! I got a delay notice the other day, and the shipped notice today! :cloud9:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:14 pm

Joni wrote:
LiMoss wrote:I got the delay notice yesterday, too.

Same here! I got a delay notice the other day, and the shipped notice today! :cloud9:

Makes ya wonder..... :-O

Return to “Wait Until Spring, Bandini”