Two Announcements~Monday Night Thread & Our Next Book

by John Fante

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Two Announcements~Monday Night Thread & Our Next Book

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:06 pm

Ladies..two announcements! :press:

The July Monday Night Thread which would normally take place on Monday, July 2 will be moved to the following Monday, July 9 due to the holiday week. Be sure and check in then! :disco:

Liz and I are happy to announce our next ONBC read to follow The Bomb In My Garden…

Wait Until Spring, Bandini by John Fante.

This, Fante’s first novel, was published in 1938. The book is being reprinted with a forward written by Johnny. The edition with Johnny’s intro is currently only available from Amazon.uk. However, you may read any edition of the book to participate in the discussion. Below is a synopsis of the tale…

A powerful, lyrical and touching tale of a turbulent adolescent trying to break out of the suffocating, prison-like confinements of family, poverty and religion in a small town, "Wait Until Spring, Bandini" tells the story of a winter in the childhood of Arturo Bandini, oldest son of Italian immigrants living in Colorado during the Great Depression. With its powerful and evocative account of tragic love affairs, grinding poverty and adolescence in turmoil, this first novel from the Bandini quartet is a much-neglected masterpiece of modern American literature.

Tidbits will start around the first of August after our discussion of The Bomb In My Garden. We hope you will join us!!
:bounce: :ONBC:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

suec

Unread postby suec » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:26 pm

Wow, this book sounds like a must-read!
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

rainbowsoul

Unread postby rainbowsoul » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:35 pm

Looks interesting!! I decided to order it from Amazon UK - it is due out tomorrow. (July 3)
No! Not Barker. That man is dead. It's Todd, now. Sweeney Todd. And he shall have his revenge...

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:48 pm

I was tempted to order the UK edition as well. I'm :bounce: wating to read his introduction!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

PhD

Unread postby PhD » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:24 pm

I'm such a sucker. I just ordered this book from Amazon UK. Forget that I could have had it for about 1/2 the price by buying it from Amazon US, and that Johnny's foreword will most likely be available on the Zone. :blush: It will be worth it as soon as the book arrives!
"Because, you know, it seems to me that, I mean, except for being a little mentally ill, she's pretty normal"

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:49 pm

PhD, unfortunately I needed the book before July to get started on my ONBC homework. Otherwise I would have ordered it from Amazon.uk too. Hmmm...maybe I really need two copies of this book. :blush:

Wow! What a ride!

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:23 pm

:bounce: This sounds good!! Count me in!
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa
savvy avi by mamabear

Raven

Unread postby Raven » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:38 pm

They have one copy in the whole county library system. A first edition too! I have it on order.

Looking forward to my next read.

:cool:
"In my experience, those who do not like you fall into two categories: the stupid
and the envious."
John Wilmot, the 2nd Earl of Rochester in The Libertine by Stephen Jeffreys

Sioux

Unread postby Sioux » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:54 pm

Wow! Sounds like a great book! :bounce: And set in my home state! I think I'll wait to see if the new one shows up here in the U.S., but I'll try to find a copy at the library to read.

Hopefully I'll be able to participate in the discussion next month! :hope:

:chill: :pray:
I pretty much try to stay in a constant state of confusion just because of the expression it leaves on my face ~ J.D.

"Nobody move! I've dropped me brain!"

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:01 am

I haven't heard of this before, do we know how Johnny came to be involved in writing the introduction and is this his only involvement.

dharma_bum

Unread postby dharma_bum » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:33 am

Gilbert's Girl wrote:I haven't heard of this before, do we know how Johnny came to be involved in writing the introduction and is this his only involvement.

I don't know about this particular book, but a few years back JD was very much interested in playing the Arturo Bandini character in a film version of another Fante novel, Ask the Dust.

Fante had been called the "big brother" of the beats... that's a pretty big clue.
"You can't broom out your head. You certainly can't broom out your heart. And there's a hot wire between them, and everything shows in the eyes."
—Johnny Depp

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:57 am

dharma_bum wrote:
Gilbert's Girl wrote:I haven't heard of this before, do we know how Johnny came to be involved in writing the introduction and is this his only involvement.

I don't know about this particular book, but a few years back JD was very much interested in playing the Arturo Bandini character in a film version of another Fante novel, Ask the Dust.

Fante had been called the "big brother" of the beats... that's a pretty big clue.

Thanks db, something about that sounds familiar :cool:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:21 am

Fante considered Charles Bukowski his "literary godfather" and he is sometimes called a grandfather to the Beats. You can draw the line from there to Johnny... :noodlemantra:

I'm glad to see we have a lot of interest in this one.

Wow! What a ride!

KYwoman
Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson

Unread postby KYwoman » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:51 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Fante considered Charles Bukowski his "literary godfather" and he is sometimes called a grandfather to the Beats. You can draw the line from there to Johnny... :noodlemantra:

Oops, I think you meant Bukowski thought of Fante as his literary godfather. I'm really interested in seeing what Fante's writing style and subject matter is like. Not to mention hopefully getting a chance to read Johnny's intro to the book. :cool:
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." :motorcycle:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:02 am

KYwoman wrote:
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Fante considered Charles Bukowski his "literary godfather" and he is sometimes called a grandfather to the Beats. You can draw the line from there to Johnny... :noodlemantra:

Oops, I think you meant Bukowski thought of Fante as his literary godfather. I'm really interested in seeing what Fante's writing style and subject matter is like. Not to mention hopefully getting a chance to read Johnny's intro to the book. :cool:

Thank you, KY...that is exactly what I meant. :blush: That's what happens when you post and run in the morning! :banghead:

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “Wait Until Spring, Bandini”