TBIMG Question #25 ~ Ironic

by Dr. Madhi Obeidi and Kurt Pitzer

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

TBIMG Question #25 ~ Ironic

Unread postby Liz » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:51 am

Pg. 43. A prominent employee of the French Atomic Energy commission picked up Dr. Mahdi at the airport in Paris: “I understand you will be defining the experiments for the reactor,” he said. “I hope you will be successful.” As an Arab accustomed to the poetry of the unsaid, I am attentive to the subtleties of dialogue and hidden meanings behind a person’s words. I immediately picked up on the irony of his remark.

What do you think Dr. Mahdi finds ironic?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:30 am

I think Dr. Mahdi knows that the prominent employee is skeptical of his reasons for working on the reactor and certainly does not really wish him success in bringing power to his tyrant boss.
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

Linda Lee

Unread postby Linda Lee » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:25 pm

I agree with Betty Sue. I believe the employee suspected the real purpose of Dr. Obeidi's work and would not want him to succeed in bringing nuclear weapons to Iraq.
Serenity is not freedom from the storm but peace within the storm. ~ Unknown

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:35 pm

You're saying what the Frenchman was really saying was "I hope you are not successful." I think I would get myself in trouble over there! :lol:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:38 pm

I agree with Betty Sue and Linda Lee that he suspected the real reason behind the research.
I was looking for more information on Dr. Mahdi and I ran across this great article from Mother Jones Magazine that had Dr Obeidi's story along with the not so good fate of the other Iraqi scientist. I think it is very interesting and goes right along with our book discussion. It is called in the garden of Armageddon.

http://www.motherjones.com/news/feature/2005/09/armageddon.html
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

suec

Unread postby suec » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:33 pm

Yes I agree with others about his mistrust. I wonder also if the irony might refer to Dr Obeidi's own doubts. gemini, I shall print this article to have a proper read of it.
But this will be my last post for a bit,a nd on this book, as I am away on vacation. So I would like to thank Liz and DIDHOT now for another great discussion and for being able to discuss them with you all. :bouquet:
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:46 pm

gemini, that article was actually part of Tidbit #1. It's good to go back and read it now as we are towards the end of our discussion. Thanks for posting the link! :cool:

suec, have a great vacation! We'll see your for Wait Until Spring, Bandini.
:wave:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:40 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:[b]gemini, that article was actually part of Tidbit #1. It's good to go back and read it now as we are towards the end of our discussion. Thanks for posting the link! :cool:

:

It was good to see it again (and thank you for letting me know I hadn't lost my mind completely :dunce: , although at times in this discussion I sure wondered about that!)

I agree that the Frenchman probably guessed Dr. O's intention. At one point weren't the French suspected of trying to produce the bomb themselves? My history/current events is rusty, but I wonder if there might have been a bitter tone, wishing the Iraqis success where the French had failed -- with a bit of "betcha can't do it!".

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:57 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:gemini, that article was actually part of Tidbit #1. It's good to go back and read it now as we are towards the end of our discussion. Thanks for posting the link! :cool:

:wave:

No wonder some of it sounded so familiar. I thought it was because it contained much of the information from Obeidi's book. I had forgotten about the tidbits....I have a short memory span. :blush:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:24 pm

:lol: No worries, gemini! I suffer from the same malady on occasion...okay more than on occasion. :-? There is a lot of information to process with our discussions. :reader:

Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:49 pm

nebraska wrote:
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote: I agree that the Frenchman probably guessed Dr. O's intention. At one point weren't the French suspected of trying to produce the bomb themselves? My history/current events is rusty, but I wonder if there might have been a bitter tone, wishing the Iraqis success where the French had failed -- with a bit of "betcha can't do it!".

I agree with you, Nebraska. I heard a bitter or sarcastic tone in the Frenchman's voice. I think the irony was that they had failed.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Return to “The Bomb in My Garden”