TBIMG Question #23 ~ Similarities

by Dr. Madhi Obeidi and Kurt Pitzer

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

TBIMG Question #23 ~ Similarities

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:09 am

Can you draw parallels between any of Johnny’s previous roles/books and The Bomb in My Garden?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:59 am

Well, there was a bit of evidence buried in the garden in Secret Window, as I recall.... :grin:
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:36 am

:applause: Well that's one I hadn't thought of. :mort2:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:54 am

Good one, Betty Sue! :cool:

How about Nick of Time? Situations where the family members are being threatened if the main character doesn't do as he's told.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:00 am

Whoa! Another one I hadn't thought of. :cool:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:49 pm

I’m thinking of some former books we’ve read—specifically Shantaram and The People’s Act of Love. All three books focus on how a political or social climate can affect the moral choices that one makes. The main characters seem to wrestle with the issue of what is right or wrong.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:01 pm

The only film that came to mind for me was "Before Night Fall" where the main character is persecuted until he can get out of Cuba. Johnny plays Bon Bon who is in prison and Lt. Victor the Interrogator in charge.
Actually "the Man who cried" has the same type of persecution of the Jews and the Gypsies.
Edit to add:
Chocloat had the town shunning Vivanne and her daughter for not being religious enough and hating the gypsies.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:10 pm

Gemini, another great example! :thumbsup: For some reason I seem to have a mental block with this question in relation to roles. :dunce:

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:25 pm

Captain Jack Sparrow was also a master at half-truths and complete fabrications -- to manipulate people into doing and giving him what he wanted.

Raven

Unread postby Raven » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:57 pm

The obvious one for me is that most of the books or all of the books Johnny read and or liked seem to have male points of interest naturally. And that they could be good and bad, not the hero but not the villian.
"In my experience, those who do not like you fall into two categories: the stupid
and the envious."
John Wilmot, the 2nd Earl of Rochester in The Libertine by Stephen Jeffreys

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:30 pm

You guys are good! :applause2:

suec

Unread postby suec » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:07 pm

Cesar for the wartime environment and for his guarded wariness. Also for concern for loved ones. In addition, for his air of quiet dignity contrasted with others - such as when he is taken to the strip club.
Joe Pistone for being unable to discuss his work with his wife, the secretive dangerous nature of his work, and for the change of life at the end - the undisclosed address.
Rochester for his youthful idealism, then unhappiness with Charles; for his concern with truth; and his love of his children.
Lin for in effect being exiled from his country, for his initial trust & support for others: that idealism.
Ichabod for his passion for his work, and for ultimately having to make a difficult decision.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:15 pm

I was at a loss for how to answer this question since the modern day "true" story seemed so far afield of the other books we have read. I still have a little trouble putting this in the same basket with the others and I still find it a bit of an odd choice for Johnny unless he is thinking in terms of movie marketability and not his personal tastes. Still, it has been a really interesting read. You are all coming up with some great ideas!

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:34 pm

Okay, so maybe I should have asked if there was a book/role that you couldn't relate to this one? :lol: No one has mentioned Edward, Spencer or Willy yet. :grin:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Linda Lee

Unread postby Linda Lee » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:40 pm

Great comparisons, everyone. The only one I've come up with so far is Dean Corso confronts the devil, Dr. Obeidi confronts Saddam Hussein.
Serenity is not freedom from the storm but peace within the storm. ~ Unknown

Return to “The Bomb in My Garden”