TBIMG Question #20 ~ Shock & Awe

by Dr. Madhi Obeidi and Kurt Pitzer

Moderator: Liz

suec

Unread postby suec » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:19 am

I was shocked by the opening: the description juxtaposed with the references to children and family. Not because it was the least bit surprising - it wasn't at all - but I always do find this sort of thing shocking. It's what it comes down to in the end: the individual dead, the loss and fears for loved ones. I was shocked and surprised by the fact that the designs ended up in his garden, and that the Iraqui authorities could allow that to happen. As it happens, his was a safe pair of hands, as it were, but that might not have been the case. I wasn't at all interested in the technical stuff and language used. When faced with it, my eyes glaze over, something in my brain short-circuits, and I lose the will to read another word. My failing. My loss. I was very interested in the personal story, in his journey. Also in the exploration of how the development of the bomb could happen, and where this particular story could go.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:56 am

I was more interested in the personal story, too, Suec. But at least he wrote this book in a way that I could almost understand. That in itself is a shock. :lol:

Fansmom, we watched Zodiac. It was an interesting movie to watch because it brought back the fear of those years since I lived in the area in which he killed. In fact, I could remember where I was and what I was doing each year mentioned, if not down to the month. And his killing spree began about 40 years ago.

Other things that surprised me:

Hussein Kamel’s defection surprised me. It seemed totally out of character. I was surprised at his lack of loyalty to his father-in-law and that he would risk the retribution for it. And his coming back was an even a bigger surprise—and really stupid.

I thought it was interesting that Tariq Aziz tried to make it seem that Hussein Kamel wanted to develop a shadow nuclear program without Saddam’s knowledge. What amazes me is that the Iraqi government thought that the UN inspectors would buy it.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:31 am

suec wrote:. I wasn't at all interested in the technical stuff and language used. When faced with it, my eyes glaze over, something in my brain short-circuits, and I lose the will to read another word. My failing. My loss. I was very interested in the personal story, in his journey. Also in the exploration of how the development of the bomb could happen, and where this particular story could go.

Sue C, I agree as far as not being interested in the technical stuff, but I felt it was necessary to have some sort of understanding of what he was trying to do in order to make sense of the journey. I hope I don't have to think that hard again for a while.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:51 pm

The techincal stuff was difficult but, as other have said, explained well enough for laymen to get it or at least the gist of it.

nebraska, this is ONBC. Would we make you think hard?
:grin:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Return to “The Bomb in My Garden”