TBIMG Question #12 ~ Reaction to Foreign Pressure

by Dr. Madhi Obeidi and Kurt Pitzer

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

TBIMG Question #12 ~ Reaction to Foreign Pressure

Unread postby Liz » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:47 am

Pg. 169. But as the inspectors had effectively denuded Iraq’s machinery for building nuclear weapons, the deceptions had become less of a measure to preserve the program and more of a reaction against foreign pressure.

What do you think of this tack?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:19 pm

A college roommate of mine once said that the surest way to get me to do something was to tell me I couldn't. I like to think I've matured since then. :blush:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:42 pm

Fansmom, I think we are back to the pride issue again, and not being able to relinquish control.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:59 pm

Well, I wish that they had capitulated immediately to the inspectors, shown all of their plans and efforts, instead of turning to more deception (completely rebuilding a building!!! :eyebrow: ). It probably would have saved many lives and a great deal of destruction. So I don't approve of this tack. It didn't help anyone, including themselves.
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:29 pm

Betty Sue wrote:Well, I wish that they had capitulated immediately to the inspectors, shown all of their plans and efforts, instead of turning to more deception (completely rebuilding a building!!! :eyebrow: ). It probably would have saved many lives and a great deal of destruction. So I don't approve of this tack. It didn't help anyone, including themselves.
I don't approve of it, either, Betty Sue, but I think it's part of human nature. It's on a par with a two-year-old's tantrums ("No!")or an adolescent's attempts at autonomy ("You can't tell me what to do!"). It's a tactic that relies on emotion (I agree, Liz, pride) rather than logic and as such is not productive in the long run.

There's a discussion on the radio right now of a book called Mistakes Were Made (But Not by Me): Why We Justify Foolish Beliefs, Bad Decisions, and Hurtful Acts. Lots of information about cognitive dissonance and why we make bad decisions and then stick with them.

http://www.amazon.com/Mistakes-Were-Made-But-Not/dp/0151010986/ref=sr_1_1/002-6038615-4285602?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1184959584&sr=1-1

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:48 pm

Fansmom, I assume it is a local radio station? Is it something the rest of us could be listening to? Sounds interesting. And, yes, I think it is human nature. I have some issues in that regard now & then myself. :blush:

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:52 pm

Liz wrote:Fansmom, I assume it is a local radio station? Is it something the rest of us could be listening to? Sounds interesting. And, yes, I think it is human nature. I have some issues in that regard now & then myself. :blush:
It's National Public Radio's Science Friday, Liz, so anyone can listen--
http://www.sciencefriday.com/pages/2007 ... 72007.html
The stream and podcast will be available online sometime this afternoon, I think, after the radio broadcast is over.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:09 pm

fansmom wrote:
Liz wrote:Fansmom, I assume it is a local radio station? Is it something the rest of us could be listening to? Sounds interesting. And, yes, I think it is human nature. I have some issues in that regard now & then myself. :blush:
It's National Public Radio's Science Friday, Liz, so anyone can listen--
http://www.sciencefriday.com/pages/2007 ... 72007.html
The stream and podcast will be available online sometime this afternoon, I think, after the radio broadcast is over.

:thanks!:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:18 pm

Saddam certainly wasn't one to be pushed around or admit he was wrong. Betty Sue I agree it could have changed current history. Thanks for the link, fansmom! :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:19 pm

But as the inspectors had effectively denuded Iraq’s machinery for building nuclear weapons, the deceptions had become less of a measure to preserve the program and more of a reaction against foreign pressure.

If you think about it, this is the same position Saddam took all through his trial up to his death. He kept saying he was a legitimate government and we were the intruders. He certainly looked like he believed what he was saying. No different than him deceiving the inspectors at every turn. It does seem he believed he was in the right and reacting against a foreign pressure.

Fansome's radio discussion about the book " Mistakes Were Made (But Not by Me): Why We Justify Foolish Beliefs, Bad Decisions, and Hurtful Acts "(Hardcover) seems to apply very well here.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:29 pm

My country, right or wrong! It is like the boy who torments his sister but won't tolerate the same behavior from someone else.

Return to “The Bomb in My Garden”