TMIMG Question #4 - Security

by Dr. Madhi Obeidi and Kurt Pitzer

Moderator: Liz

ThirdArm

Unread postby ThirdArm » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:12 pm

I'm going to take a little different tack here. Not that I don't agree with what has been said, but it seems to me that all this increased security that was rushed into place after 9-11 was something like shutting the barn door after all the livestock have escaped.

I just don't believe it helps, actually. A really determined person can figure out a way. I won't fly because of all the hoops one has to go through.

And, yes, shadowydog, what is with the dog food? I'm really curious. :eyebrow:
~No doubt the years have changed me.~

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:01 pm

Speaking of dog food....the recent pet food disaster with the wheat gluten additive is a great example of how vulnerable we are.....just imagine some toxin introduced into the human food supply....Our water, our air......The recent tuberculosis case, one man had exposed how many? hundreds, if I recall correctly......local news reports demonstrated how inadequate our facilities would be to deal with a tb outbreak that would take months of treatment for each individual with the disease....how about bird flu and West Nile virus...the world is full of contagions for which we would have absolutely zero immunity and possibly no treatment.....if we aren't protecting ourselves from a phantom company buying supplies to make dirty bombs, how in the world can we be expected to protect ourselves from all those unknown dangers? One of the veterinarians where I work is on the emergency preparedness committee, and when he comes back from a meeting he is always a little overwhelmed and somber....he just mumbles stuff about "if you had any idea how bad it really is......."

I think the increased security is a good thing, it may make a few lunatics or copycats stop and think before they try something stupid. But the real terrorists will find a way if they really want to.

In the end, I think it is up to each of us to go on with life with as little disruption and fear as we possibly can. Otherwise, the bad guys win.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:11 pm

My husband is a professional sailor (tug and barge, lightering in the Delaware Bay) and port security in this country is a joke. Someone at an amusement park with a small bomb could hurt a lot of people. Someone with a small bomb and access to an oil tanker could wreak havoc.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:46 pm

fansmom wrote:My husband is a professional sailor (tug and barge, lightering in the Delaware Bay) and port security in this country is a joke. Someone at an amusement park with a small bomb could hurt a lot of people. Someone with a small bomb and access to an oil tanker could wreak havoc.

Unless you are a high school senior who just graduated earlier in the day and are trying to board a school sponsored party boat on the SF Bay to celebrate Grad Night. Then you are not only searched, but frisked--this in the guise of so-called "homeland port security".
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:59 pm

Liz wrote:
fansmom wrote:My husband is a professional sailor (tug and barge, lightering in the Delaware Bay) and port security in this country is a joke. Someone at an amusement park with a small bomb could hurt a lot of people. Someone with a small bomb and access to an oil tanker could wreak havoc.

Unless you are a high school senior who just graduated earlier in the day and are trying to board a school sponsored party boat on the SF Bay to celebrate Grad Night. Then you are not only searched, but frisked--this in the guise of so-called "homeland port security".

We know how dangerous those seniors can be... :rolleyes:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:27 pm

Liz wrote:Unless you are a high school senior who just graduated earlier in the day and are trying to board a school sponsored party boat on the SF Bay to celebrate Grad Night. Then you are not only searched, but frisked--this in the guise of so-called "homeland port security".
Someone you know, Liz? :eyebrow:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:48 am

fansmom wrote:
Liz wrote:Unless you are a high school senior who just graduated earlier in the day and are trying to board a school sponsored party boat on the SF Bay to celebrate Grad Night. Then you are not only searched, but frisked--this in the guise of so-called "homeland port security".
Someone you know, Liz? :eyebrow:

Not my son, but (according to a parent) this year's graduating class at my son's HS.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Linda Lee

Unread postby Linda Lee » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:47 pm

I hope airport security is better, it's certainly more difficult to travel but too many things still get through. I'm not sure if it is due to human error, lack of training or that the jobs don't pay enough. It seems that the only people who are thoroughly searched are those who pose no threat.
As far as sporting events, some security exists but it seems minimal in events I've been to. A quick once over with the hand held wand and you're done. I haven't been to an amusement park in several years, so I have no idea about security there.
Serenity is not freedom from the storm but peace within the storm. ~ Unknown

Return to “The Bomb in My Garden”