TBIMG Question #1 ~ Why This Book?

by Dr. Madhi Obeidi and Kurt Pitzer

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:36 pm

Interesting ideas, all!

I think I would prefer a conventional movie to a documentary. I envision something similar to The Last King of Scotland, but more true to the book.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:20 pm

I have mixed feeling on this book as a movie. It has the potential to show what a tyrant Suddam was but that is old news now. It shows how close they came and how easily they acquired the information for making a nuclear bomb. That might be a lesson for Americans but we seem to be bombarded with threats of even college kids developing the bomb. Actually I have seen a couple films with this storyline. It seems with so many countries having the bomb already that there will be more because countries will share the information. It is inevitable.

As for Johnny's reasoning, it could be financial. This is a film that will be watched by those wanting to know the story of WMD's. It also can be presented with different viewpoints or even moral issues which may be his interest.
I mentioned in another tidbit the film of the moral issue of the bomb has already been done. Fat Man and Little Boy was a pretty good film that showed both sides of the issue of the scientist that built the bomb we used in WWII on Japan. I am somewhat at a loss as to which issue Johnny wants to highlight.
Last edited by gemini on Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:16 am

gemini, Fat Man and Little Boy is indeed a good movie on the subject of the bomb and moral implications. As you point out, there are many different ways to take this story...it could be about WMD's, dictatorship, war, family, fear, science...the list goes on. I hope we get the chance to find out!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

lumineuse

Unread postby lumineuse » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:21 pm

Ok - I am a bit of a dilettante here. I don't make it around the Zone much anymore, sorry to say! But I think Johnny may have been interested because the book does lend some credence to GW Bush's decision to invade Iraq. It does supply a little credence to the nuclear threat, while at the same time making it seem silly, being that that particular threat was unknown to the invading forces. Which is where the real danger lies, IMHO - horrific weapons in the hands of "silly" people, and equally silly people making important decisions without evaluating all the facts. I think Johnny appreciates that sort of human absurdity, so I think this sort of story appeals to him.

Without wanting to engage in any sort of debate about US foreign politics, about which I do have strong opinions, I think that maybe Johnny's interest in this book would be exactly that -to point out the absurdity and tragedy that permeates human personal and political relationships. It is a theme that recurs in his work.
"Oh, good!........ No worries, then."

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:26 pm

Hello there, lumi! :wave: Welcome back! That is an interesting thought and one we will be exploring further. Keep a weather eye on future questions and check back in! :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

lumineuse

Unread postby lumineuse » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:13 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Hello there, lumi! :wave: Welcome back! That is an interesting thought and one we will be exploring further. Keep a weather eye on future questions and check back in! :cool:

Thanks for the welcome, DITHOT! :wave: Hello, to you too, Liz, and the rest of the ONBCers! :ONBC: I still haven't finished the book, nor have I read all the tidbits, but I am so interested in what everyone has to say about it. I am going to try to catch up. I haven't been around much lately, but I am glad that I have a welcome to poke my head in when I can. Thanks!
"Oh, good!........ No worries, then."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:46 am

You are always welcome, Lumi. We've missed you. :wave:

Interesting point about the absurdity of it all.
:cool:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:02 am

lumineuse wrote:Ok - I am a bit of a dilettante here. I don't make it around the Zone much anymore, sorry to say! But I think Johnny may have been interested because the book does lend some credence to GW Bush's decision to invade Iraq. It does supply a little credence to the nuclear threat, while at the same time making it seem silly, being that that particular threat was unknown to the invading forces. Which is where the real danger lies, IMHO - horrific weapons in the hands of "silly" people, and equally silly people making important decisions without evaluating all the facts. I think Johnny appreciates that sort of human absurdity, so I think this sort of story appeals to him.

Without wanting to engage in any sort of debate about US foreign politics, about which I do have strong opinions, I think that maybe Johnny's interest in this book would be exactly that -to point out the absurdity and tragedy that permeates human personal and political relationships. It is a theme that recurs in his work.

Excellent observations!

Linda Lee

Unread postby Linda Lee » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:36 pm

I was on vacation when this discussion started and I'm having some trouble getting in the swing of things, so I thought maybe starting at the beginning might work.
I have to say, I had no idea why this book, until I read the discussion here. I could not see how it would make an entertaining movie but several good ideas were pointed out. Bix pointed out it has the elements to make a great political thriller.
Suec's version is a political thriller with the contrast/threat to family. Theresa's movie is a study in how far a man will go to protect his family in extreme circumstances. Nebraska pointed out the historical aspect. Rainbowsoul mentioned a documentary, that made the most sense to me at first but as I reread the posts, any one of the ideas could make a great movie.
I think the combination of political thriller and just how far a man will go to protect his family would make the best movie based on this book.
Serenity is not freedom from the storm but peace within the storm. ~ Unknown

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:19 pm

Linda Lee wrote:I was on vacation when this discussion started and I'm having some trouble getting in the swing of things, so I thought maybe starting at the beginning might work.

Linda Lee, glad to see you here! I think you made a wise choice to begin at the beginning. I will be looking forward to seeing your input to the rest of the discussion.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:57 pm

Welcome back, Linda Lee! Hope you had a nice vacation. Good summary of everyone's thoughts! :cool:

Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:44 am

Linda Lee, glad you joined in. :wave: And it makes sense to start from the beginning. Thanks for the recap on this question. It's nice to have it all in one post to mull over again and put in perspective. Could you do that for all the questions, LOL. Just kidding. :grin:

Hope you enjoyed your vacation.

Return to “The Bomb in My Garden”