WEGG Question #31 ~ The Sequel

by Peter Hedges

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

WEGG Question #31 ~ The Sequel

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed May 02, 2007 8:36 am

You write the sequel…Where are the members of the Grape family now and what are they doing?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Endora

Unread postby Endora » Wed May 02, 2007 11:32 am

That's a dangerous question to ask a fan fic writer, DITHOT.

Five years or so on? Gilbert, to me, is travelling, now alone and somehow a bit lost. He still hankers after a perfect family, but has had a lot of disappointments along the way. I think something inside him is scared of settling down. His older sister has turned into another version of Momma, the younger one would leave town and become something similar to the air stewardess one. I don't include Arnie, I always thought he didn't make it to nineteen.
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Wed May 02, 2007 11:36 am

Oh, Endora! :bawl:
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed May 02, 2007 11:47 am

Not dangerous at all, Endora! Let your imaginations go, Noodlemantras!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Wed May 02, 2007 1:15 pm

My sequel, possibly titled "The Vintage Years," would be the story of Gilbert's current family. He had a surge of relief and energy after Momma's death and put himself through school doing odd jobs (what a good worker!!). He became a teacher and never found a kid he didn't like. He married a teacher, and they had two adorable, full of mischief children. Arnie was healthy as can be but no longer the baby of the family. He was trying hard to learn to be considerate of the little ones, but had many misadventures along the way. Having summers off from school left the Grapes wonderful time to travel, visit family members, and just be together like a NORMAL family. (Gilbert was able to eat.)
Larry loved to visit them. So did Janice who no longer needed to fly but had become comfortable with finding work in her field of psychology. She remained very close to Ellen and helped her to get her life together. Amy married a nice local guy and took over Ramp's.
Mrs. Betty Carver was not in Gilbert's life at all anymore. He heard that she had never remarried but had dedicated herself to helping her kids through all of the traumas they'd endured.
Lance still liked to spend time with Gilbert. He was amazed at how well Gilbert handled whatever came along. He had undergone therapy to learn how to deal better with people up close and was doing better. Bobby and Tucker remained in their jobs, were still close friends, and actually caught themselves a couple of wives.
The Lamsons, of course, continued to run their fine little store and did well enough to enjoy their years of retirement. Visiting Gilbert and his family was one of their favorite activities.
Love,
Pollyanna
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

SamIam

Unread postby SamIam » Wed May 02, 2007 3:00 pm

Hmmm.I've been trying to think of something as I cleaned my room and everything so here goes.
Gilbert worked to put himself through school and got a teaching degree. Amy did not become Mama and got herself a job too. Ellen finished high school and is in college getting a degree in psychology. Arnie unfortunately left this world. He is sadly missed by his family. The older siblings haven't changed.
Ambition without inspiration is like a boat on dry land.

the future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed May 02, 2007 3:07 pm

I like the way you think, Pollyanna. But I tend to not be a Pollyanna, so my version is more like Endora’s. However, things are better for Arnie. He is still alive and living in a half-way house.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Wed May 02, 2007 4:36 pm

Betty Sue, I imagined a "best case" sequel, too. The Grapes sold their property for a good price and divided the money among the four adults. Endora has experienced a bit of economic growth in the 10 years since. Amy and Ellen initially moved to Dayton (or wherever the movie ending had them go). Amy lost the extra pounds cooking for Momma had put on her and, while Ellen was finishing high school, went to culinary school. Janice met a football coach on one of her flights and married him and moved to Dallas, where her big hair and flashy outfits fit right in! She decided to use her psychology degree as a high school guidance counselor. Larry keeps in much closer touch with the whole family and has even taken Arnie on several vacation trips. Janice did indeed help Ellen get on with an airline as a flight attendant, where Ellen quickly rose through the ranks and earned an international route.

I think Gilbert bought the grocery from the Lamsons when they retired, although Mrs. Lamson might still come in to help with the bookkeeping from time to time. He is experimenting with selling gourmet items and prepared foods, local produce and crafts. Amy moved back, married the new insurance agent in town and reopened the Ramp Cafe as an upscale eatery that attracts customers from surrounding towns, who also like to browse around in Gilbert's store. Arnie lives with Gilbert and Becky, who inherited her grandmother's house. Becky visited often while getting her college degree and she and Gilbert grew closer and closer as she got older and helped him get free of his many demons. I think they are going to have a baby soon. The entire Grape clan is ecstatic!

How's that for pie in the sky?
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed May 02, 2007 7:07 pm

You guys are good! Keep your ideas coming, Pollyannas or not!

Bix, you plan for Janice is perfect!
:biglaugh:

Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed May 02, 2007 7:46 pm

Bix I love your idea for Gilbert and the grocery store and Amy and the Ramp Cafe. So I have something to add to that….. Other young down-to-earth entrepreneurs have come to Endora and have started quaint gift, antique and unique jewelry stores along with art galleries (like in Fredericksburg, TX or Laguna Beach, CA). This has also attracted customers from all over.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Charlene

Unread postby Charlene » Wed May 02, 2007 7:56 pm

Wonderful stories ladies...what can I add....hmmmmm, Gilbert was "discovered" in the grocery by a film crew shooting in the area...offered a bit part in a horror flick, where he was swallowed by the produce section.....teen girls swooned, and the rest is history. Gilbert will be coming to a theater near you.

Becky? She follows behind him in their airstream which is decked out in silks and brocades. In his off time, he plays guitar.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed May 02, 2007 7:59 pm

Charlene wrote:Wonderful stories ladies...what can I add....hmmmmm, Gilbert was "discovered" in the grocery by a film crew shooting in the area...offered a bit part in a horror flick, where he was swallowed by the produce section.....teen girls swooned, and the rest is history. Gilbert will be coming to a theater near you.

Becky? She follows behind him in their airstream which is decked out in silks and brocades. In his off time, he plays guitar.

:biglaugh: :rotflmao:

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Thu May 03, 2007 6:40 am

What a fun question! I have enjoyed reading all your stories, especially the happy endings. Betty Sue, keep that Pollyanna spirit! The world needs a whole lot more of that.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu May 03, 2007 8:22 am

Liz wrote:
Charlene wrote:Wonderful stories ladies...what can I add....hmmmmm, Gilbert was "discovered" in the grocery by a film crew shooting in the area...offered a bit part in a horror flick, where he was swallowed by the produce section.....teen girls swooned, and the rest is history. Gilbert will be coming to a theater near you.

:biglaugh: :rotflmao:

Too funny, Charlene! :lol:

Wow! What a ride!

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Thu May 03, 2007 9:18 pm

Gilbert and Arnie left Endora with Becky. They did some traveling because that was what Becky wanted. Gilbert found he wasn't as much into getting away as he had thought and moved to the little town where Ellen had went with Amy. They were all glad to be out of Endora but were still not big city people. Becky came along for awhile but decided to move on. Gilbert has his own place and Arnie is with him most of the time, but he is glad to have Amy nearby to drop him off for a visit so he can have some time for himself.

Gilbert found a new girl named Julie who didn't mind Arnie. Amy likes Julie so doesn't mind taking Arnie off his hands since she understands wanting time alone with her new boyfriend. . Gilbert and Ellen get along a lot better now that she is a little older. Ellen surpised everyone and found a school for Arnie with others like him. Larry and Janice went back home but still continue to visit and send money to help care for Arnie and help Amy provide for Ellen until she graduates from college. Amy is the manager of the local bakery.

Gilbert worked different jobs until he earned enough money to buy an antique store. With the area around their little town growing his store is doing very well.. He loves going to out of the way places with his pick up truck and finding great old things for his store and he seems to have an eye for what will sell. Julie works at the dentist office but drops by the store to add the womans touch. They are becoming an item around town and Gilbert feels that as soon as he gets his house paid for he will pop the question. He is even thinking of calling Tucker to be his best man.

Yes I'm a Pollyanna too.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Return to “What's Eating Gilbert Grape”