WEGG Question #29 ~ Relating to the Story

by Peter Hedges

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

WEGG Question #29 ~ Relating to the Story

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:24 am

Johnny says in the extras interview, “There is something very pure about that story – something people can relate to. We all come from very strange places. It’s easy to relate.”

How do you feel about his words?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Linda Lee

Unread postby Linda Lee » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:57 am

I think that this story is easy to relate to, it's straitforward. We're given enough background to understand why the characters behave the way they do.
Serenity is not freedom from the storm but peace within the storm. ~ Unknown

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:03 am

It seems that the more people you get to know, the more unusual backgrounds you hear about. I had a misdiagnosed bi-polar mom who had a breakdown when I was seven. Unlike my younger sisters (unlike Arnie and Ellen), I knew my mom before and after. How confusing! I was never comfortable having kids visit our home, and I can remember feeling powerless in a situation I thought would never end for me. So, yes, Johnny! I can relate! :-/ And I'm afraid many others can, too.
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:38 am

When you look at the tv shows, movies, etc. from the time many of us were growing up the vision of the perfect family, mom vacuuming the floor in her dress and pearls, when all problems could be resolved in thirty minutes, gave us an impossible ideal to stand up to when compared to reality. I think the Grapes were probably closer to reality!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:44 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:When you look at the tv shows, movies, etc. from the time many of us were growing up the vision of the perfect family, mom vacuuming the floor in her dress and pearls, when all problems could be resolved in thirty minutes, gave us an impossible ideal to stand up to when compared to reality. I think the Grapes were probably closer to reality!

True! It made so many of us feel inadequate!
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:47 am

Betty Sue wrote:
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:When you look at the tv shows, movies, etc. from the time many of us were growing up the vision of the perfect family, mom vacuuming the floor in her dress and pearls, when all problems could be resolved in thirty minutes, gave us an impossible ideal to stand up to when compared to reality. I think the Grapes were probably closer to reality!

True! It made so many of us feel inadequate!

I'll never forgive that Mrs. Cleaver! :lol:

Wow! What a ride!

Endora

Unread postby Endora » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:35 am

Surely anyone who was ever teenage can relate to Gilbert! Even though he's 24, he thinks and acts teenage. All that not fitting in... who'd go there again? Not me for sure.

I have to say here that I enjoyed the book so much more tha I expected to. I was nervous about taking on another view of a story I love so much (ie the film). Thanks all ONBC posters who,ve made me see it differently.
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:41 am

I don't think I have anything to add to those thoughts already spoken. I enjoyed the book but maybe not as much as the film,although maybe I enjoyed the book a little better the second time around.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:38 am

I think we can all relate. No families are perfect. No community is perfect. We’re all a little quirky with some level of dysfunction. In fact, this morning my son is home from school because an explosive device was found under a graffiti swastika outside the principal’s office at the high school. :eyebrow:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:33 pm

Liz wrote:I think we can all relate. No families are perfect. No community is perfect. We’re all a little quirky with some level of dysfunction. In fact, this morning my son is home from school because an explosive device was found under a graffiti swastika outside the principal’s office at the high school. :eyebrow:

A real explosive device, Liz? :-? Not a prank?

And to address the question, I'll quote something that I read a long time ago (and haven't been able to find since)--"Normal is what we think people are until we get to know them better."

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:53 pm

Great quote, fansmom! :lol:

:-O Liz. Do they know who did it?

Wow! What a ride!

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:08 pm

Betty Sue, This is so true about the perfect families on all the popular TV series. Now they are getting away from that a bit. I think Johnny had too deal with his parents divorce and some tough times before he made it in films.

I think everyone eventually has a death in their family, some sooner than others. And as Betty Sue mentions there are many other things just as tragic. My mother was not the same for a couple years after my younger brother died. It made things tough in our family until she finally got though it.

Then look at what Liz mentioned and we see what kids have to deal with today on top of everything else..
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:25 pm

gemini wrote:Betty Sue, This is so true about the perfect families on all the popular TV series. Now they are getting away from that a bit. I think Johnny had too deal with his parents divorce and some tough times before he made it in films.

I think everyone eventually has a death in their family, some sooner than others. And as Betty Sue mentions there are many other things just as tragic. My mother was not the same for a couple years after my younger brother died. It made things tough in our family until she finally got though it.

Then look at what Liz mentioned and we see what kids have to deal with today on top of everything else..

The death of a child has to be the worst possible loss anyone could experience. I can't imagine. :tear:

Yes, Fansmom, according to the news it is a real explosive. DITHOT, we don't know yet who put it there or if we ever will. I would think whoever put it there, though, has some real issues. :-/

Love the quote, Fansmom! :cool:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Linda Lee

Unread postby Linda Lee » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:10 pm

The death of a child has to be the worst possible loss anyone could experience. I can't imagine.

So true.

Yes, Fansmom, according to the news it is a real explosive. DITHOT, we don't know yet who put it there or if we ever will. I would think whoever put it there, though, has some real issues

Thank God, no one was hurt.

"Normal is what we think people are until we get to know them better."

Great quote. We are all "quirky" in some way or other, and for the most part probably better off for being so.
Serenity is not freedom from the storm but peace within the storm. ~ Unknown

SamIam

Unread postby SamIam » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:06 pm

fansmom wrote:
Liz wrote:I think we can all relate. No families are perfect. No community is perfect. We’re all a little quirky with some level of dysfunction. In fact, this morning my son is home from school because an explosive device was found under a graffiti swastika outside the principal’s office at the high school. :eyebrow:

A real explosive device, Liz? :-? Not a prank?

And to address the question, I'll quote something that I read a long time ago (and haven't been able to find since)--"Normal is what we think people are until we get to know them better."

Great quote, I agree with you. No two families are alike at all. That is what makes the world go around. I think a lot of people can relate to this story because it is real and there are real people like this story. That is what makes this story the most believable.
Ambition without inspiration is like a boat on dry land.

the future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Return to “What's Eating Gilbert Grape”