It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: WEGG Question #28 - Casting
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:53 am 
JDZ Moderator

How did you feel about the casting for the rest of the characters?

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:55 am 

I thought the casting was very good, not sure I could fault it really. I think that everyone cast seemed to make their characters their own and I certainly couldn't see anyone else in those parts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:10 am 

I haven't really posed on here, but I just wanted to put my :twocents: in. I think Arnie couldn't have a better person like Leonardo to play him, he just acted like a person who is mentally disabled so well. As for the rest I agree with GG that everybody did their part just fine.

Profile YIM 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:50 am 
JDZ Moderator

Hi Heather. :wave: Glad you posted. I think Leo did an excellent job. I can’t imagine more perfect casting.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:02 pm 

Liz wrote:
Hi Heather. :wave: Glad you posted. I think Leo did an excellent job. I can’t imagine more perfect casting.

Thanks!

Profile YIM 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:04 pm 

I don't know how many times I have watched WEGG - dozens of times, probably. When my granddaughter was around 8 years old I finally bought her a copy of her own because she was always asking to borrow mine. We love that movie! Because I saw the movie first, as I was reading the book, I kept seeing the movie characters in my mind, even though some things were changed from book to movie -- book Amy was heavy, movie Amy was slender, for instance. For the movie version of the story, I think the casting was perfect. Everyone seemed to interact with the others very naturally. I wonder if my opinion is objective, due to the number of times I have watched the movie and how much I love it; or do I love it and find it so watchable because the casting was so good..... :-?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:04 pm 

Well I have always liked Mary Steenbergen and I think she was super as Mrs. Carver. If Richard Dean Anderson of Stargate SG1 thinks she's the greatest, it must be so. :lol: (Only makes sense if your a scifi watcher)

I agree with heather that no one could have done Arnie as well as Leonardo.

Besides Johnny the one I am most impressed with is Darlene Cates.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:48 pm 

Johnny, Darlene and Leonardo were absolutely unbelievably perfect in their roles. Like Nebraska, I felt that seeing the movie characters as I read the book enhanced the book enormously (especially one of them :grin:). The other actors were great in their roles, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:15 pm 

WEGG is one of my all time favorites too and I agree with all of you. This seems to be a pretty easy question so far! My top three were Johnny, of course, Leonardo and Darlene. I thought they were all just amazing but the rest of the cast was great too. Kudos to Hallstrom for putting them all together. Becky was the only one that I had doubts about. Now that I've read the book I think she could have been a tad bit edgier, not as edgy as book Becky though. Having said that, I think Juliette Lewis did a great job with the script and the character the way she was written.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:44 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Well, I have to agree with Nebraska that I might be a bit subjective when looking at the cast. I’ve watched the movie numerous times and have grown to know the characters as they were portrayed in the movie. I don’t think all of them fit the book images, but I do feel that they fit the screenplay version, which was at least partially Hedges’ vision also. I really think they were all perfectly cast. Even though Laura Harrington was thinner than the book Amy, she played the part well. Ellen (Mary Kate Schellhardt) was played exactly how I saw her in the book. Juliette may not have looked like the description of book Becky, but it worked. And, of course, I preferred movie Becky’s personality to book Becky’s personality. I think she had the edge, just not the arrogance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:34 pm 

I thought the casting was great. I thought that all the actors made the characters their own. It is the most real movie and it's because everyone in the movie were actors that showed real emotion through their acting. That is what makes a great movie; The Casting. Who you put in a part t can make or break the character and the movie.

the future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. -Eleanor Roosevelt
 Profile YIM 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ]