The Lollipop Shoes: New Joanne Harris

by Peter Hedges

Moderator: Liz

Endora

The Lollipop Shoes: New Joanne Harris

Unread postby Endora » Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:48 am

I didn't realise that her new one was a sequel to Chocolat. It's out this week here. I think it would be an interesting read, although I don't know if Roux features in it.

Link to article in The Times today:

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/fiction/article1714482.ece
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

suec

Unread postby suec » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:30 am

Thanks for this, Endora. An interesting article. I have to admit, I find Joanne Harris much more interesting than I did Chocolat. However, perhaps that was more to do with me and how I was at the time, rather than the book itself, so I'll certainly give this one a go. I'll read Runemarks too, when it's out. I like the idea of displaying shoes in a cabinet!
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:45 am

I thought that was an interesting idea, too, Suec.

I would venture to say that Roux is not in the sequel. I think Vianne was moving on with her life. And it looks like she has...in Montemartre.

Thanks for the heads up, Endora. :cool:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:07 am

Liz wrote:I thought that was an interesting idea, too, Suec.

I would venture to say that Roux is not in the sequel. I think Vianne was moving on with her life. And it looks like she has...in Montemartre.

This is so, Roux stays behind, because he is in Blackberry Wine which takes place in the original village.( can't recall its name)Might look out for this one :cool:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:20 am

Thanks for the heads up, Endora. :cool: I checked on Amazon and apparently it isn't out in the US yet.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

SamIam

Unread postby SamIam » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:19 pm

Liz wrote:I thought that was an interesting idea, too, Suec.

I've been to Montemartre. I love it there. I had my picture drawn in charcoal there. It's a great town. :cool:
Ambition without inspiration is like a boat on dry land.

the future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:32 pm

An interview with Joanne about her new book --
I think this is one I'll be getting as soon as it's released in the US. (Amazon has the release date as June 26)

Joanne puts her best foot forward with another slice of Chocolat

by Grace Hammond
Yorkshire Post
April 30, 2007

Writer Joanne Harris became an overnight success with Chocolat. Eight years on, she tells Grace Hammond about the long-awaited follow-up.

In 1999, Chocolat was the book everybody was supposed to have read. Like Captain Corelli's Mandolin before it and the Life of Pi after, people everywhere were brandishing a copy of Joanne Harris's novel.

Then came the film. Starring Juliette Binoche, Johnny Depp and Alfred Molina, the Yorkshire author's profile was raised even further and writing a follow-up looked like a difficult feat.

But the former teacher, who writes from her Victorian home near Huddersfield, has finally returned to chocolatier Vianne Rocher and her daughter Anouk in her latest book

"To me, a sequel is more of the same and would have been set in the same place," says Harris. "This is a completely different scenario in many ways. They are in a different place."

Set five years later, Vianne has another daughter, Rosette, Anouk has started secondary school and Vianne has learned to conform and blend in, but not without sacrifices. She has given up the magic that she and her daughters shared, has changed her identity, living under a different name, and has given up on true love, instead considering marriage to her reassuringly conventional landlord.

Then enters Zozie de l'Alba: beautiful, passionate, bohemian and wearer of the "lollipop" shoes, who befriends Vianne and influences Anouk. But behind her charm lies a cold and malevolent person with an insatiable greed, and Vianne finds herself battling with Zozie to save her impressionable daughter.

Harris feels the latest instalment has movie potential, but is well aware of the years it can take to bring a novel to the big screen.

"There is always so much interest in these things but I ignore it entirely until something happens," she says. "I don't want anyone to get excited about the possibility of a film of this because I know that these things take a long time. But if there's a film it would be nice, particularly if we could have the same cast."

The Lollipop Shoes is a much darker tale than Chocolat, with the footwear the primary disguise for the seemingly charming femme fatale. "The shoes she wears reflect the kind of person she is. If you can tell the character of somebody by the chocolates they eat, surely this is also true about the kind of shoes they wear," says the 42-year-old.

"One of the things that struck me about all the fairytales that we know is how often shoes figure there. They are often magical or allow you to travel faster or better or to different places. Or they allow you to change your identity into something that you're not. Or they have some significance, as in Cinderella, when the slipper is in many ways the key to the whole story. There's something about shoes that is in its way almost as old and attractive and linked to folklore as chocolate is."

On the back of the book, upmarket fashion chain LK Bennett has designed some glamorous red velvet peep-toe shoes for Harris which she will be wearing during a promotional tour in Australia and New Zealand in May.

"I do have glamorous shoes but I hardly ever wear them. Most writers don't need to swan around in great big spiked heels. But I do appreciate the aesthetic value of shoes and very often I will buy a pair knowing that I may wear them once or not at all.

"I've got a lovely pair from Lanvin, made of red velvet with a diamante buckle and silk rosette. They were £300, knocked down at Brown's. They are very 17th century and gorgeous. I've worn them twice. They sit in a glass trophy cabinet in my hall because they are so beautiful, I had to put them somewhere.

"I have shoes on the mantelpiece. I have less than a dozen pairs of shoes that I don't wear but I do like to look at them. The idea of them sitting in a shoebox waiting for me to have the opportunity to wear them makes no sense."

Harris was born in Barnsley, the daughter of teachers. Her father, a Yorkshireman, met her French mother on an exchange in Brittany and brought her back to live above his parents' sweet shop. The family spoke French at home and she always felt a bit of an outsider.

"I found it hard to make friends. It wasn't for a lack of wanting to," she says. "I remember very well what it was like not to fit in at school and have children around you who were terribly interested in all sorts of things that you found stupid and trivial. You feel isolation strongly at that age and the need to fit in.

"I was also a secretive child – and I'm a secretive adult."

A bookworm from an early age, Harris went on to Cambridge where she read modern and medieval languages and had a brief career in accountancy before becoming a French teacher at Leeds Boys Grammar school.

She met her husband Kevin at sixth-form college and he now works with her, doing her accountancy and paperwork.

"He has to do all the admin and paperwork. I would be hopeless. It's a good job he's around," she smiles.

Harris is often working on several books at one time and has recently finished her first children's novel, Runemarks, a fantasy story set in a universe of nine worlds, not unlike that of Norse legend, after the end of the world. It's due out in the autumn.

But before its release she'll be packing her LK Bennett shoes for the forthcoming tour of The Lollipop Shoes. And if they prove too uncomfortable to wear for long periods, Harris is prepared.

"I have a clever system whereby I carry a pair of ballet shoes in my handbag so that if my shoes hurt when I leave the party I can quickly slip the ballet shoes on – which happens a lot."

The Lollipop Shoes, published by Doubleday, priced £17.99, is out tomorrow. Copies are available through the Yorkshire Post Bookshop on 0800 0153232, postage and packing costs £1.95 or online at www.yorkshirepost.co.uk

http://www.yorkshiretoday.co.uk/features?articleid=2840104

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue May 01, 2007 8:25 am

Thanks, theresa! I think I'll be reading this one too! :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Sat May 05, 2007 8:42 am

I thought I'd add this to this thread, found in the Finacial Times Magazine Books section

Small Talk: Joanne Harris
By Stanley Pignal

Published: May 4 2007 16:23 | Last updated: May 4 2007 16:23

Joanne Harris left her job as a teacher following the success of her third novel, Chocolat, the story of a woman who moves to a small French village and tempts the small community with her handmade sweets and quiet magic. The power of food is a recurrent theme in Harris’s work - she has co-authored two cookbooks alongside her fiction. The Lollipop Shoes, the sequel to Chocolat, is out this month.

Who is your perfect reader?
Somebody with brain enough to question what I write, but taste enough to like it.

At what hour of the day does inspiration strike?
Pretty much anytime, but usually in the morning.

What proportion of the books you own have you actually read?
If I own it, I’ve read it.

What’s your current favourite word?
Scatological.

Which book changed your life?
Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake. That was the time I really realised that you could do all kinds of magical tricks with words - and I really wanted to do it.

Hardbacks or paperbacks?
Paperbacks - you can never read hardbacks on the bus.

Best piece of advice a parent gave you?
”Get a proper job.” I’ve been going against it all my life.

Have you ever bought a copy of your own book?
Only to give away.

Mountain or beach?
Beach by moonlight.

What keeps you awake at night?
The sound of badgers.

What makes you cross to read?
People who think that plots are an optional extra - and that style is all the substance a reader needs.

Who would you choose to play you in a film about your life?
Juliette Binoche.

What would you change about yourself?
I would be more sociable.

Which author would you most like to sit next to at dinner?
Ray Bradbury - tremendous company, loves food and I just adore his writing.

What does it mean to be a writer?
It means that you’re asked to dream on demand - and you don’t know how you’re going to do it.

When do you feel most free?
When I’m alone.

Which literary character most resembles you?
A cross between Nigel Molesworth and Arthur Dent.

Interview by Stanley Pignal.

Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2007

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat May 05, 2007 10:20 am

Thanks for sharing that, GG. Nice interview! :cool:

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “What's Eating Gilbert Grape”