WEGG Question #23 ~ After the Party

by Peter Hedges

Moderator: Liz

Endora

Unread postby Endora » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:20 pm

Don't you think there's a significance that she returns to what presumably was the marital bed to die? I think this may suggest that she's finally come to terms with her husband's suicide. Forgiveness?
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:26 pm

Endora wrote:Don't you think there's a significance that she returns to what presumably was the marital bed to die? I think this may suggest that she's finally come to terms with her husband's suicide. Forgiveness?

Wow! I hadn't thought of that at all. Could very well be.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Boo-Radley

Unread postby Boo-Radley » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:16 pm

nebraska wrote:Oh my gosh! :-O You are all coming up with answers I never even thought of. The idea that she was symbolically removing herself from the family and going upstairs to die just never crossed my mind.

I would have to get out my book and refresh my memory a bit because I think the book version is slightly different. So I will speak from the movie perspective.

I thought that when movie Becky was so kind and accepting toward Mama (I love that line of hers about she wasn't "always like this" either), and Mama and Gilbert had a tender moment together where Gilbert was treating her with love and respect, I thought Mama felt inspired to take back control of her life. Going up the stairs to sleep in a bed instead of wallowing on the couch in front of the TV, was her first step into living a decent life again. The desperation of clinging to her goal to see Arnie's birthday was over now and she could go on with a more normal life. I thought she turned a corner and was going to start taking care of herself....Her death seemed like a sort of sweet irony, a simplified escape from her troubles. She made one big gesture and then she was spared the difficult ongoing struggle.

Maybe I am a bit of a pollyanna......

Well, here I am poking my head in again. :blush: Nebraska I have to agree with you. I have always thought that Momma's decision to go upstairs was and attempt on her part to change. I saw the circumstances leading up to that moment as a series of catalysts, towards her decision. First, making the decision to go to town to get Arnie and the town peoples' reaction to her, Gilbert running away (which really frightened and grieved her because she thought he had "disappeared" like his dad and brother), and finally having the heart to heart with Gilbert, meeting Becky and realizing that her son (all her children in fact) needed to have a life of his/their own and she was preventing that. I think she was trying to be a mom and make an effort to change for her children, and maybe even for herself. For me at least, that's what makes her death such an irony, and sad too. I think if she was just planning to lay down and die she could just have walked into in the downstairs bedroom and been done with it.

Live in Depp
Boo
"With this hand I will cup your.... Oh goodness no!"~~Victor Van Dort

"The theater is my drug, and my illness is so far advanced that my physic must be of the highest quality."~~John Wilmot

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:18 pm

Hey there, Boobaba! Thanks for poking your head in. :wave: Pop in anytime!

The Pollyanna in me really wants to agree with the rest of you positive thinkers but I'm still a little
:mort3:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:09 pm

Both in the movie and the book, the family encouraged Mamma's efforts to make it upstairs to go to a real bed. I think they all saw this as a chance to start over as a healthy family. It turned out that they were a family without their mother....... but the dancing scenes in the bedroom after Mama's death tell me that the family did indeed move on, that they connected with each other, and it was all a good thing. A happy ending can mean many things to different people.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:37 pm

Very true, an end is just another beginning. We will be talking about the family's reaction to Momma's death so keep those thoughts at hand. :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “What's Eating Gilbert Grape”