WEGG Question #22 ~ Gilbert's Meltdown

by Peter Hedges

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:24 am

I agree with you when you say Gilbert had to be able to let go of the impossibly high standards he had set for himself. You could feel the frustration building in him when no one appreciated what he was doing for the family yet he couldn't bring himself to actually do anything about it. Becky was the catalyst for that.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:45 pm

Red Shoes wrote:
I think Gilbert had to 'let go' with Arnie in order to likewise let go of such idealized standards and expectations for himself. He had to start seeing himself as human.

Yes, exactly. I like the way you put that.

I do too. You got me to look at him in a different light. :ohyes:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Lady Jill

Unread postby Lady Jill » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:56 pm

Very true. . Gilbert had lots going on silently underneath, and yes, Parlez, having those high standards of how Arnie should be treated. But I am surprise about the mirror incident. What a wired thing to do to someone. Call them out of their house so you can stick a mirror in front of them! No wonder it took him over the edge. I am surprised he didn't go after her, for in the book I never got the impression that Gilbert was thinking do was really super. Sounded more like she was a pesky fly to him.

So here is where I move over to the movie Gilbert and Becky. Movie Gilbert was having plenty of cool feelings for Becky, and then she's going to leave, which really sent him brooding and back to the responsibility of taking care of Arnie - cake - explode after Arnie - yiks! Over the Edge! Reminds me of Wayfarer's All, the chapter in the Wind in the Willows. Like Gilbert meets Becky, realizing that she is a free spirit, and when she is going to leave - to move on - he is feeling left behind with the burden of Arnie and Momma

Usually books are better than the movie, but for me this one was the other way around.

Lady Jill
" After we're gone, the only thing that matters is the love we left behind."

Return to “What's Eating Gilbert Grape”