It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next
 Post subject: WEGG Question #27 - Why Johnny?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:38 am 
JDZ Moderator

Why do you think Johnny was selected to play Gilbert Grape?

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:03 am 

I'm sure there have been reasons given by both Lasse and Peter Hedges but can't recall off hand. But I am assuming it was something to do with the sensitivty he shows in his work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:06 am 

Isn't Johnny everyone's first choice for any role? :grin: I agree with GG that his sensitivity would probably be the number one reason. He also had to show vulnerabillity, strength, anger, humor, sex appeal,.... Who else could have done all that? :heart:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:20 am 

I often wonder if he would have been as good had he been happy at the time of making it. Maybe his personal situation came through in his work when he tried out for it?

Solace in the flood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:34 am 

Endora wrote:
I often wonder if he would have been as good had he been happy at the time of making it. Maybe his personal situation came through in his work when he tried out for it?

Not quite sure that when he did the audition or went to talk with Lasse and Peter Hedges he was going through his bad time. At the time he was still filming or about to film Benny & Joon because I know in some interview somewhere Peter Hedges or Lasse remarked on his doing magic tricks for them, which he'd learnt for B & J.

Lasse has said that he felt Johnny knew the character of Gilbert, perhaps a little too well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:35 am 

Betty Sue wrote:
Isn't Johnny everyone's first choice for any role? :grin: :heart:

Well said, Betty Sue!

So much of the book took place inside Gilbert's head. Perhaps Johnny was chosen because he can say so much without speaking, through his eyes, his body language, his demeanor. That and all the other reasons that have been mentioned here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:00 pm 

nebraska wrote:
Betty Sue wrote:
Isn't Johnny everyone's first choice for any role? :grin: :heart:

Well said, Betty Sue!

So much of the book took place inside Gilbert's head. Perhaps Johnny was chosen because he can say so much without speaking, through his eyes, his body language, his demeanor. That and all the other reasons that have been mentioned here.

:cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:42 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Betty Sue wrote:
Isn't Johnny everyone's first choice for any role? :grin: I agree with GG that his sensitivity would probably be the number one reason. He also had to show vulnerabillity, strength, anger, humor, sex appeal,.... Who else could have done all that? :heart:

Well said, indeed. I just can’t imagine anyone else in that role. I think some directors just happen to have the gift to be able to choose the right characters to play the roles. Lasse batted 1000 on this movie. He did a pretty good job on Chocolat, too. :cool:

And I think Nebraska is right about his ability to show his emotions through his eyes, facial expressions and body language.

I wondered the same thing, Endora.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:01 pm 

I agree with you ladies again about his sensitivity. I really don't know except if anyone else was considered Johnny must have been the best.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:03 pm 

Well, he is a shimmering knight, after all. I think his caring, kind soul shows through to all and he is very protective of others. I remember reading once that he was like an older brother to Leonardo diCaprio on the shoot. He has a quiet, reflective side that I think is relevant too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:10 pm 

I agree with all that has been said so far, especially with Nebraska's comment on Johnny being able to show so much with his eyes. I also think directors are aware that the important thing for Johnny is the work. He wants to bring the story to life and in that respect he has no personal vanity as so many other actors do. But as my DD says about Johnny, 'Why would he be vain? On his worst days he still looks more beautiful than almost anybody else on the planet.' And for once, I have to agree with her.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:14 pm 

I agree with what everyone has said. I think Halstrom says in the commentary something along the lines of what you said Nebraska.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:26 pm 

Well said ladies, I gues the 'eyes' have it.

WEGG was one of the first movies I watched after discovering Johnny in the first POTC movie. I found his acting incredibly poignant. What some actors struggle to communicate in words he so eloquently conveys with his eyes. All I know is that watching this movie was a cathartic experience for me and it was entirely due to Johnny's wonderful performance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:22 am 

inspired wrote:
Well said ladies, I gues the 'eyes' have it.

WEGG was one of the first movies I watched after discovering Johnny in the first POTC movie. I found his acting incredibly poignant. What some actors struggle to communicate in words he so eloquently conveys with his eyes. All I know is that watching this movie was a cathartic experience for me and it was entirely due to Johnny's wonderful performance!

Snap !,it was also the one I searched out after watching POTC, its the one that persuaded me that Johnny was an amazing talent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:24 pm 

I thought WEGG was the most real movie and it was because the actors in the movie were real and Johnny is definitely the most real actor. He shows emotions in his body language and he is the most sensitive actor. Lasse definitely made the best choice going with Johnny.

the future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. -Eleanor Roosevelt
 Profile YIM 

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next