WEGG Question #21 - The Voice Inside Gilbert's Head

by Peter Hedges

Moderator: Liz

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Tue May 01, 2007 2:37 pm

nebraska wrote:Again about Mama: I stared at her -- unable to accept that at one time I was growing inside her. I was once just a couple of cells. My father and my mother were naked and something had to be satisfactory about it, because he came inside her and she got pregnant. She, like me, was once a baby in her mother's stomach and so on and so forth and so it goes. So it goes.

I thought this one was intriguing because it sounds as though it was written or said by someone much younger than Gilbert, especially the part about the "baby in her mother's stomach."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue May 01, 2007 2:54 pm

fansmom wrote:
nebraska wrote:Again about Mama: I stared at her -- unable to accept that at one time I was growing inside her. I was once just a couple of cells. My father and my mother were naked and something had to be satisfactory about it, because he came inside her and she got pregnant. She, like me, was once a baby in her mother's stomach and so on and so forth and so it goes. So it goes.

I thought this one was intriguing because it sounds as though it was written or said by someone much younger than Gilbert, especially the part about the "baby in her mother's stomach."

I think it shows he has been questioning all along whether his dad really loved his mom. So he is trying to assure himself that they did love each other. It was an interesting thought process. I can’t see myself going through it quite like that. Good quote!

gemini wrote:Since I can't look it up, I'll ask to see if any of you remember one that I'm trying to recall. Its Gilbert talking to Ellen and his remark is something like." She thinks I'm listening to her but I'm not." I know this isn't exacty correct but does anyone remember the remark? It may not be my favorite but I thought it was cute at the time.

I don’t know the exact quote, but this sounds pretty close to the one I remember. I remember at the time, chuckling at that one.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Return to “What's Eating Gilbert Grape”