WEGG Question #20 ~ The Water Tower

by Peter Hedges

Moderator: Liz

SamIam

Unread postby SamIam » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:40 am

I think Arnie climbs the water tower simply for the fun and enjoyment of doing it just as he climbs the tree for fun. It makes him feel free and he enjoys the attention he receives from it. To him he feels free up on the water tower. Sorry I haven't been around I was down the shore for the weekend and my laptop doesn't get good signal down there. :blush:
Ambition without inspiration is like a boat on dry land.

the future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:48 am

SamIam wrote:I think Arnie climbs the water tower simply for the fun and enjoyment of doing it just as he climbs the tree for fun. It makes him feel free and he enjoys the attention he receives from it. To him he feels free up on the water tower. Sorry I haven't been around I was down the shore for the weekend and my laptop doesn't get good signal down there. :blush:

Well, going down to the shore sounds like a fun thing to do--more fun than climbing the water tower. But it's tough to be away from the computer. :zoner:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

SamIam

Unread postby SamIam » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:20 pm

Liz wrote:
SamIam wrote:I think Arnie climbs the water tower simply for the fun and enjoyment of doing it just as he climbs the tree for fun. It makes him feel free and he enjoys the attention he receives from it. To him he feels free up on the water tower. Sorry I haven't been around I was down the shore for the weekend and my laptop doesn't get good signal down there. :blush:

Well, going down to the shore sounds like a fun thing to do--more fun than climbing the water tower. But it's tough to be away from the computer. :zoner:

Sure is :cool:
Ambition without inspiration is like a boat on dry land.

the future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. -Eleanor Roosevelt

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:29 pm

Catching up here. All great comments so far. My first thought about Arnie and the water tower was that he enjoys the attention. He doesn't understand danger and doesn't realize the town and police are annoyed with him, he just sees all those people looking up at him. He also knows that Gilbert will be coming after him and thats attention from his favorite person. He even thinks a ride in the police car is great until they won't run the sirens for him.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Return to “What's Eating Gilbert Grape”