WEGG Question #16 - The Women in Gilbert's Life

by Peter Hedges

Moderator: Liz

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:23 pm

Geesh! :banghead: I seem to need one or two days to ponder every one of these questions. I am sure in a day or two I will have something to say about this..... :-?

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:00 pm

Then we will look for your answer in a day or two! No worries, nebraska. :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:39 pm

Well, to paraphrase another movie momma: weirdness is as weirdness does! And that's what Gilbert is observing ~ the behaviors, habits, mannerisms and quirks of these women, as opposed to considering what might be motivating those things. He calling 'em as he sees 'em. Weird. Actually, he's being kind using that word, IMO.

But one thing three of the women have in common is that they were, or are, considered to be great beauties: Momma, Betty, and Becky. Ellen may be moving up into that catagory, or trying to, as well. One of the themes of the book, for me, is about appearances, and how hard everyone in Endora is trying to keep them up. So I saw a connection with the women and their physical appearance (beauty) as significant, particularly in the very different ways they're each handling it.

Other than that, I agree that they are also looking for a piece of Gilbert, to complete some agenda they have going or to fill some void in their lives. Becky is the exception...being an outsider she has no history with the town or with the family. So she's a bit 'cleaner', which makes her both appealing and threatening to Gilbert...and very, very weird!
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa
savvy avi by mamabear

Return to “What's Eating Gilbert Grape”