WEGG Question #11 ~ Progress?

by Peter Hedges

Moderator: Liz

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:43 pm

Nebraska, I think you're giving personalized service and giving much more of yourself than you realize. If these same people bought their dog food or office supplies at a big box chain checkout counter, I don't think they would walk away with any warm feelings of having connected with somebody. Certainly the checker wouldn't have remembered anything about them. Can't say that I've ever even had the same checker twice. :eyebrow: I volunteer with needy people and feel that the main thing I have to offer is being willing to take the time to listen and be understanding and be positive. Can only aspire to having Mr. Lamson's spirit! :cloud9: Like you, I sometimes don't completely have my heart in it, but I think we're a real step up from the hurried, insincere, automatic atmosphere in large chain businesses.
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:04 pm

It seems like what people are looking for is that human connection. nebraska and Betty Sue, it is completely understandable that your heart might not be in it every day but your natural compassion has brought you to your jobs and that natural ability to connect with people certainly shines through.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:11 pm

Accord! I can't help adding my two cents here :soapbox: as a customer service provider and as a customer. Employees who deliver 'personal customer service' do so because they have the ability to empathize with people in a sort of generic way. It's not the kind of 'personal' that you find, say, in a family, but it's the kind of 'personal' that you find in being Human. I agree with DitHot that you couldn't do what you describe doing, nebraska, only because you're getting paid to do it. Your spirit of friendliness and willingness to connect can't be bought, IMO. Plus, I think most customers know the difference between being treated with respect and compassion and being fawned over in a phoney, calculated way. yuck! I'd rather be treated with indifference than be treated that way. I agree that it takes very little prompting before some people start to 'unload' their personal stuff, but I see that as a sad and sorry part of our human condition these days, when people have noone else to confide in besides a 'stranger'. Actually, my response to that is to feel honored that they feel they can confide in me, and hope that someday some stranger would likewise be there for me when I need them. :chill:
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa
savvy avi by mamabear

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:51 pm

I have to agree with the rest of you that it takes a special kind of person to be able to relate to the public in a way that they feel comfortable enough to confide. (Well, some confide regardless) But you, Nebraska, Betty Sue & Parlez, take your jobs seriously enough to add that personal touch. I have to say the not everybody can do it. In my vet’s front office I don’t feel the personal touch. But in others I have. On the other hand, I keep going there because the vets themselves more than make up for their front office in the time they spend with each client. Time is important, too, along with the ability to listen. I could go on for hours on this subject, comparing good customer service with bad. Obviously, it is important to me.

But as far as Tucker, it just seemed odd that he would respond to his friend the way he did, as if he didn’t want to admit that he had any emotion or affection for Arnie, Gilbert & their family.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:26 pm

Liz wrote:

But as far as Tucker, it just seemed odd that he would respond to his friend the way he did, as if he didn’t want to admit that he had any emotion or affection for Arnie, Gilbert & their family.

I was surprised and disappointed by Tucker, too, but I had a feeling that he was just a brand new employee carefully following orders, and that he'd mellow out as he settled in because he seems to be a genuinely good-hearted guy. Yes, good guys can be found at these chains, too, but the structure really doesn't allow for too much personalization.
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:08 am

I think Tucker says what he says about caring being part of the job (notice he doesn't say 'just' part of the job) because he now has a framework for expressing his naturally kind and caring feelings about people ~ specifically Gilbert, Arnie and all the Grapes. He can go the extra mile as the assistant manager at the BB in a way he couldn't before. His job gives him permission, so to speak, to demonstrate his genuine desire to connect with people and to be the nice guy he is. I didn't see the comment as being cold or derisive. We know how much Tucker valued the opportunity to work for an company he considered to be progressive, cutting-edge and top-notch. Tucker identifies his own values with those of BB, so to him there's no distinction between what's 'part of the job' and what's part himself. Now that's what you call personalized customer service!!
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa

savvy avi by mamabear

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:31 am

I do agree that Tucker is sincere but I still find it rather Orwellian in a corporate brainwashing sort of way.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:59 pm

I suppose it depends on what you want........when I go to buy an ink cartridge for my printer or a package of tapes for my camcorder, I just want to buy what I need at a good price and be on my way. The fact that the large chain employees (Walmart) are pleasant and helpful is a bonus to me! They seem much happier to be at their jobs than I am to be at mine.

I am not sure why people need to connect with the veterinary clinic receptionist to discuss their personal issues. This week I made an appointment for a dog and the owner proceeded to tell me about her separation from her husband.....hello? Does she not have any family or friends to talk to about things like this? Does she need ME to agree that men are pigs?

I guess when you go to the Mom and Pop places, that is part of the premium price you pay for services. I think it is really sad that people need to pay extyra to have someone listen to their troubles. It says something about our society. :-/

Don't get me wrong, there are some of these people that I do genuinely connect with and care about......but still, it all seems a bit odd......

Linda Lee

Unread postby Linda Lee » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:40 pm

Nebraska, you must be a good listener. Perhaps one of the reasons they bring up such personal information is because they feel safe telling you as you don't know their spouse or their friends so you'll only hear one side of the story.
Serenity is not freedom from the storm but peace within the storm. ~ Unknown

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:03 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:I do agree that Tucker is sincere but I still find it rather Orwellian in a corporate brainwashing sort of way.

I wonder also if this was a way for Tucker to show his affection, hiding behind the Burger Barn Persona after all, guys don't do that to each other do they?

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:40 am

That's a good point too, GG. We have to remember we are talking about the male of the species here! :eyebrow:

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “What's Eating Gilbert Grape”