WEGG Question #8 ~ Becky

by Peter Hedges

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

WEGG Question #8 ~ Becky

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:29 am

Becky…Why is her character important to the story? How is her character different in the movie? Why do you think she was changed for the film?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:02 am

Important because she is the one who sees through Gilbert. I think she help Gilbert to see things differently, to see people differently, to look inside of himself.
In the movie she is older so that she can be Gilbert's romantic interest without it being icky. I think its would have been hard to have Gilbert with a 15 year old girl especially as they wanted Becky to spend the night with him and be more worldy wise. Somehow its doesn't really work with her being 15. Much better if she is older easier to believe her wisdom.

lumineuse

Unread postby lumineuse » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:20 am

I agree, GG - her youth in the book almost makes one queasy. At least she isn't jail bait in the movie!
"Oh, good!........ No worries, then."

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:24 am

In the commentary, I believe it is Hallstrom, states that if you are going to have Johnny Depp in your movie you have to have a love interest! :lol: I agree about why her character was aged. It made sense from both romantic and wisdom standpoints. I thought Becky in the book was pretty darn smart for someone so young. :-O
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:52 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:In the commentary, I believe it is Hallstrom, states that if you are going to have Johnny Depp in your movie you have to have a love interest! :lol: I agree about why her character was aged. It made sense from both romantic and wisdom standpoints. I thought Becky in the book was pretty darn smart for someone so young. :-O

Absolutely and having a 15 year old I know that to be a fact.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:08 am

We know at 15 they think they are pretty darn smart! :lol:

Wow! What a ride!

lumineuse

Unread postby lumineuse » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:14 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:We know at 15 they think they are pretty darn smart! :lol:

"Think" being the operative word, of course!! :lol:

Iceflower

Unread postby Iceflower » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:22 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:We know at 15 they think they are pretty darn smart! :lol:

Hey! Well maybe we are like that :perplexed:

Well I agree about her age, I am glad they made her older in the movie. 15 is young and she is very smart to be at that age.
She is an important peace in Gilbert life, she sees through her, as GG said. Gilbert is lucky meeting a girl, who understands him and she doesn't know about his family in the beginning, so it is easier to have a normal conversation.
"To be a pirate - it's a childhood dream, isn't it? To basically get away with everything... and get paid for it!" - Johnny Depp

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:39 am

Iceflower wrote: Gilbert is lucky meeting a girl, who understands him and she doesn't know about his family in the beginning, so it is easier to have a normal conversation.

I hadn’t thought of that, Iceflower. Good point! He feels more safe with her because she doesn't know about all of the family's baggage.

I agree with all of you that it made a lot more sense for Becky to be older in the movie. I’m still a little shocked that everyone was so complacent (including Becky’s grandmother) about her age vs. Gilbert’s. And from the wisdom angle, maybe it's not too far a stretch. My 13 year old is fast approaching that level of maturity. My son, at 17, though, is another story. :banghead:

Hey Lumi, glad you joined us.
:wave:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:20 pm

Becky certainly worked her magic on Gilbert in both book and movie, but I don't remember her being as weird and rather arrogant in the movie. Is there some other way to interpret her saying to Tucker, " A bird doesn't mate with a fish."? And who's talking about a fifteen year old mating anyway? Yes, her young age threw me, too. She seemed softer and sweeter in the movie (and was older!), and I think that worked better.
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:42 pm

I didn't like her arrogance in the book. In the movie she was sure of herself, but in an understated way.

Who do you think the fish was -- Tucker or Becky?
:lol:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

deppstergal

Unread postby deppstergal » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:56 pm

To be honest I liked the character of Becky more in the book, than the way she was portrayed in the film. Maybe it's because I read the book before I saw the movie, but somehow Becky in the book seemed exceptional enough to shake Gilbert out of his complacency.

It just seemed more realistic that Gilbert would have those kind of ambivalent feelings towards Becky. After all, she was the one forcing him to face up to the reality of his life, and people are rarely grateful to have a mirror held in front of them.

Naturally, like all the other young men in Endora, Gilbert was attracted to Becky, but he was having a hard time liking her because he didn't really like himself too much. I think once Becky showed him that he was a 'good person' it was easier for him to open up to her.

As far as the age thing goes, it never really bothered me in the book. I felt Peter Hedges had drawn his characters so believably that I never questioned any of them. However, I can see that when it came to making a movie then the age difference might have been harder to deal with.

Still, I think it is possible for a fifteen year old to be mature enough to deal with a relationship with a guy of twenty four. I remember being very worried when my daughter was only 14 and was dating a guy of 22, but she was far more mature than he was and she handled it beautifully. Me, I just got the grey hairs!
'And if that isn't good news enough, Johnny Depp still doesn't want to be in that rubbish-sounding INXS film. Cheers all round!' Stuart Heritage

lumineuse

Unread postby lumineuse » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:19 pm

Liz wrote:I didn't like her arrogance in the book. In the movie she was sure of herself, but in an understated way.

Who do you think the fish was -- Tucker or Becky?
:lol:

There was something a little unreal about her in the book - like she was some sort of spirit-guide.

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:41 pm

I thought she was kind of unreal in the book, too. And I'm sure there are some very mature fifteen year old girls, but why wouldn't an author just make her of age (as was done in the movie)? Maybe she was just to be considered a catalyst in the book. After all, in the book the continuation of their relationship was left much more wide open.
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:48 pm

The spirit-guide thought crossed my mine too, lumi.

Deppstergal, I though she was a much more layered character in the book but I've just never met any15 year olds that wise. Not to say they don't exist, Iceflower!!!

I thought the Grapes were sort of stuck in time, not really moving forward. I think Becky got Gilbert moving foward and made him start to see how to deal with his problems.

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “What's Eating Gilbert Grape”