WEGG Tidbit #12 - Out to Lunch with Liz - at Burger Barn

by Peter Hedges

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

WEGG Tidbit #12 - Out to Lunch with Liz - at Burger Barn

Unread postby Liz » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:56 am

It was the first day of Spring and not a better day to head “over the hill” to San Jose and check out the closest Burger Barn.

This first timer was pleasantly surprised. I wish my fellow field reporters had been with me. :-/ Unfortunately, I had to drive the 20 miles in the ONBCmobile all by my onesies.

I was going to refuse to eat my burger and milkshake in support of Gilbert; but I couldn’t resist, mates. I thought I should just see how this yummy smelling burger would compare to McDonald’s or Burger King. The verdict is that it tasted homemade and was 10 times tastier than McD’s. However, it didn’t have the grilled flavor I like so well. So I stopped at one bite. The milkshake was another story. It was of the old fashion fountain variety—made to order, just like the burger. I almost drank the whole thing. :drool:

It wasn’t “fast” like fast food, though, being that it took about 8 minutes. But that could be a good thing. :eyebrow:

To this city girl Burger Barn was a refreshing change from the fast food places I normally frequent. The menu is quite varied.

There was actually table service there. The only time I get anything close to table service at a fast food joint is when I order 10 double cheeseburgers from Burger King. I go through the drive-thru, and they ask that I wait in the parking lot, and they bring them to me. Just for clarification, these burgers are for my son, not me. :-O

I was not able to find any history on Burger Barn online—one of the reasons I decided to make a personal visit. The man who took my order said there is no brochure and no website. However, he pointed me to the wall, where there were local news articles on this particular Burger Barn. Interesting that this Burger Barn opened in 1993.

On one of the sites that critiqued the San Jose Burger Barn I found a haiku in its honor:

Burger Barn Haiku

the old barn is red
its located in san jose
prices are dirt cheap

run by family
serves burgers breakfast all day
people are friendly

but service is slow
ordered cheeseburger and fries
at four nintey five

its almost a deal
the food is rather boring
too much bun bland meat

maybe revisit
only if i lived next door
i rate it seven
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:00 am

Liz, that burger looks pretty good to me, I'm not sure I would have had your willpower! :-) Sorry I had to miss this part of our field research! :bawl:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Endora

Unread postby Endora » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:04 am

Ladies, I am stunned by this. I really thought Burger Barn was made up! Amazing, as are all these bits you are posting.

On another matter, I'm way behind with my reading but will hope to catch up and make the later parts of this discussion. I'm abit wary of starting this book as I loved the film so, but I promise to be brave and start when time permits.

Thanks again for the tour!
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

johnnybloom

Unread postby johnnybloom » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:06 am

Thanks for your insightful and photogenic display of the Burger Barn!
I don't think there is one down here in my neck of the woods(Orange County) closest thing may be the Rallys Burger..but it's not a barn. :eyebrow:
I particularly enjoyed the photo of the burger and shake..very photogenic to say the least..only sorry you ony took one bite..not sure I could do that I'd eat the whole thing....
~3~
"Three is a sort of special number for me. It's a very creative number.
Triangle, trinity-you know, how two people make another person.
Three is a MYSTICAL, MAGICAL number."
~~ Johnny Depp~~

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:07 am

Endora wrote:Ladies, I am stunned by this. I really thought Burger Barn was made up! Amazing, as are all these bits you are posting.

On another matter, I'm way behind with my reading but will hope to catch up and make the later parts of this discussion. I'm abit wary of starting this book as I loved the film so, but I promise to be brave and start when time permits.

Endora, I felt the same way as you before I started the book...how could it live up to one of my favorite films? Some things are changed but many things are the same and I found I really enjoyed reading it! I could hear the voices of the characters in my head :mort3: and it made the book come alive for me. I hope you will be able to join in the discussion!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

johnnybloom

Unread postby johnnybloom » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:11 am

Endora wrote:Ladies, I am stunned by this. I really thought Burger Barn was made up! Amazing, as are all these bits you are posting.

The book is a wonderful journey....I propose you start it right away, it's really short and only took me two days...I read it on my morning and evening bus commute and on all my breaks...I even spilled lunch on a page one day..oops.
Just to let you know Gilbert is a little different than the Johnny version and Becky is totally a different story..she's really a piece of work but not as worldly as the movie version...
Dont be wary Endora it's a great read!
~3~

"Three is a sort of special number for me. It's a very creative number.

Triangle, trinity-you know, how two people make another person.

Three is a MYSTICAL, MAGICAL number."

~~ Johnny Depp~~

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:18 am

I should have added in my tidbit that it is a chain. There are many Burger Barns across the US (as indicated on Google).

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Anna

Unread postby Anna » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:35 am

Endora wrote:On another matter, I'm way behind with my reading but will hope to catch up and make the later parts of this discussion. I'm abit wary of starting this book as I loved the film so, but I promise to be brave and start when time permits.

Endora mate, I was the same; wary to spoil my love for the film. I finished the book a few weeks ago and I was very touched by it. I even think I like the book better. It has more layers and is a bit coarser, less romanticised. You'll love the book.

Liz, that is hilarious! I love literary pilgrimages. I used to go on them when I was still childless. Then again I used to read on a regular basis then.
:-/
One minute I’m mushing along with the huskies as usual, and all of a sudden it’s global warming.

Linda Lee

Unread postby Linda Lee » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:39 am

I didn't know that Burger Barn was a real chain either, I thought it was made up for the movie. Thanks, Liz, for your research and pictures.
Serenity is not freedom from the storm but peace within the storm. ~ Unknown

luvdepp

Unread postby luvdepp » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:52 am

Thanks for the great tidbit Liz. It made me hungry for a hamburger! I can't believe you only had one bite of that burger ~ it looks delish! I'll have to stop in to Burger Barn next time I'm in San Jose visiting my mom. I had no idea Burger Barns actually existed! :cool:
"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~

ThirdArm

Unread postby ThirdArm » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:21 pm

Great tidbit, Liz.

I've driven past that Burger Barn many times and I always wondered if it was related to Burger Barn in WEGG. I did not know it was a chain.

It's unfortunate that there isn't a website. That would be interesting.
~No doubt the years have changed me.~

Peachy

Unread postby Peachy » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:37 pm

Thanks for this lovely tidbit Liz!
Btw my book has arrived and I have already started it and so far I am really enjoying it.

DITHOT wrote:
Endora, I felt the same way as you before I started the book...how could it live up to one of my favorite films? Some things are changed but many things are the same and I found I really enjoyed reading it! I could hear the voices of the characters in my head and it made the book come alive for me. I hope you will be able to join in the discussion!

DITHOT and Endora - I felt like this too, but the feeling is disappearing as I read the book. It's not disappointed me so far.
"If I'm going do to this for a living I want to at least provoke a thought or make someone look at something, however subtle, from another perspective." (JD on acting).

Charlie

Unread postby Charlie » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:44 pm

I too am amazed that Burger Barn really exists.
Do I understand that they only exist in rural areas or are they in towns and cities as well?

Most interesting that that one started in 1993.
Stay true to your path and make a positive difference to the lives of those you touch.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:18 pm

Charlie wrote:I too am amazed that Burger Barn really exists.
Do I understand that they only exist in rural areas or are they in towns and cities as well?

Most interesting that that one started in 1993.

San Jose is a fairly large city.....953,679.
It is the third largest city in California, following Los Angeles and San Diego. It is the 10th largest city in the U.S.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:20 pm

Peachy wrote:Thanks for this lovely tidbit Liz!
Btw my book has arrived and I have already started it and so far I am really enjoying it.

DITHOT wrote:
Endora, I felt the same way as you before I started the book...how could it live up to one of my favorite films? Some things are changed but many things are the same and I found I really enjoyed reading it! I could hear the voices of the characters in my head and it made the book come alive for me. I hope you will be able to join in the discussion!

DITHOT and Endora - I felt like this too, but the feeling is disappearing as I read the book. It's not disappointed me so far.

It hasn't disappointed me either. As Anna said, it has more layers than the movie--at least the last 2/3 of the book.

Return to “What's Eating Gilbert Grape”