by Peter Hedges

Moderator: Liz

suki

WEGG book pulled from school

Unread postby suki » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:44 am

Cordes pulls book from class over sex content

By DOUGLAS BURNS
Staff Writer

Carroll Schools' Superintendent Rob Cordes has pulled a critically acclaimed Iowa author's novel from a high school literature class over the administrator's concerns that the book has "inappropriate" sexual content.

The book, Peter Hedges' "What's Eating Gilbert Grape?" has been taught for several years in Carroll High School's literature-to-film class, which also features such books as John Grisham's "The Firm."

Cordes said a parent expressed concerns to high school principal Steve Haluska about a scene in the book in which the main character, the fictional Gilbert Grape, 24, receives oral sex from an older married woman.

Cordes said he didn't read the complete book but found the oral sex passage in question out of bounds for teen-agers.

"I believe there's some material in there that's inappropriate," Cordes said.

Carroll High School teacher-librarian Kelly Fischbach said the book deserves to be judged in its entirety, not for a few sentences.

"It's a great book," Fischbach said. "Kids love it. Boys who are at risk love it - you know, the people whose test scores (reading comprehension) we're trying to raise."

Fischbach said the 1991 novel by West Des Moines native Hedges resonates with rural Iowa teens in a way that few books can.

"It's a story about a boy in Iowa who is stuck in a job that's going nowhere, living in a dysfunctional family," Fischbach said.

She said a lot of young people see elements of themselves in the characters.

In the book, the main character Gilbert Grape struggles with life as a twenty-something in the fictional Iowa town of Endora. Living there, he says, "is like dancing to no music." He works in a mom-and-pop grocery store that is losing out to a larger, corporate "Food Land," and he sounds at times like a before-his-time anti-Wal-Mart advocate defending the old town square.

Grape shows enormous humanity with a love and connectivity with his mentally challenged brother, Arnie, and others in the family - which is haunted by the death of a father who hanged himself.

"There's no escaping that I'm 24 years old, that I've been out of Iowa a whopping one whole time, that you can say about all I've done in my life to this point is baby-sit my retard brother, buy cigarettes for my mother, and sack groceries for the esteemed citizens of Endora," Grape says in the book.

Grape - who was played in the movie by Johnny Depp - is torn by his deep love for his family, which includes Arnie, an obese mother, three sisters with varying issues and an older, estranged brother.

Actor Leonardo DiCaprio earned Academy Award and Golden Globe nominations for his portrayal of Arnie in the 1993 movie adaptation of the book - which CHS kids watched until the book was removed from the curriculum just weeks ago.

The book largely deals with the isolation of rural young people, and how that intersects with their worldviews and decision-making.

"What's Eating Gilbert Grape?" does deal frankly with sexuality.

There are scenes describing masturbation, and Grape's 16-year-old sister has sexual intercourse in the back of a hearse with a man who appears to be in his late 20s.

Those are snippets of a 317-page book that reaches kids on social and economic realities of rural life, says Fischbach.

Hedges is often compared to J.D. Salinger, author of "Catcher in the Rye." Author Anna Quindlen has said "What's Eating Glbert Grape?" is a novel that makes teen-agers "feel more human."

For his part, Cordes says the issue in the high school is a curriculum one, not a matter of censorship as "What's Eating Gilbert Grape?" is available for students to check out on their own accord in the school's media center.

Fischbach, who is part of the committee that selects books for the lit-to-film class taught by Kim Klein, said the library has 25 copies of "What's Eating Gilbert Grape?" 13 of which are checked out by students.

Many students have been enthralled by the book, she said.

"The kids come and say, 'Can I get another book like that?'" Fischbach said.

She said the Cordes book-pulling has been a major topic around the school and in Internet chat rooms visited by students.

Cordes said he acted fast on the concerns about the book because a new section of students was ready to start reading it. He said he viewed the matter as a curriculum discussion, along the lines of textbooks selections, in which he had the authority to make the final call.

"I'm not saying the process that was used here was the best," Cordes said.

When parents have concerns about objectionable material in the library or classroom, the Carroll School Board appoints a committee that then makes a recommendations to the board, Cordes said.

Cordes noted that there was no official complaint in writing to start that process in motion.

The superintendent acknowledged that a book he found unsuitable for reading in a classroom, with adult supervision, may be reviewed for its current library availability as well.

"That probably remains to be seen, whether that will happen or not," Cordes said. "Do I have some concerns about a book in the library? Yes. I'm sure this will cause us to re-look at some things."

http://www.carrollspaper.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&SubSectionID=1&ArticleID=2950
"Life was Finnegan's Wake, to be sure, except for those times when it was Marvel Comics."

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:26 am

This sort of thing just infuriates me! :banghead: I hope there are some other citizens of Carroll, Iowa that will make their feelings known if they disagree with this decision. I hope at the very least the school will continue to make the book available in the library for checkout. :rolleyes:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:22 am

The knee jerk responses to parents by administrators really exasperates me! :grr: Getting off my :soapbox: before I get started.

Thanks for sharing the article, Suki.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

johnnybloom

Unread postby johnnybloom » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:30 am

Interesting article, I have not read the book(another to add to my ONBC list :banghead: ) But now I want to even more.
I won't go into censorship..it's a whole can of worms I have opened up once before.
~3~
"Three is a sort of special number for me. It's a very creative number.
Triangle, trinity-you know, how two people make another person.
Three is a MYSTICAL, MAGICAL number."
~~ Johnny Depp~~

Anna

Unread postby Anna » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:39 am

Outrageous! Absolutely outrageous!
One minute I’m mushing along with the huskies as usual, and all of a sudden it’s global warming.

Boo-Radley

Unread postby Boo-Radley » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:49 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:This sort of thing just infuriates me! :banghead: I hope there are some other citizens of Carroll, Iowa that will make their feelings known if they disagree with this decision. I hope at the very least the school will continue to make the book available in the library for checkout. :rolleyes:

Thanks Suki for sharing this story. And I'm with you on this DITHOTbaba, I hope WEGG doesn't go easily into that long goodnight, in Carroll, Iowa. Honestly, we are becoming a nation of Pollyannas, and it's worrisome.

Live in Depp
Boo
"With this hand I will cup your.... Oh goodness no!"~~Victor Van Dort

"The theater is my drug, and my illness is so far advanced that my physic must be of the highest quality."~~John Wilmot

PhD

Unread postby PhD » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:20 pm

This makes me very sad... :tear:
"Because, you know, it seems to me that, I mean, except for being a little mentally ill, she's pretty normal"

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:44 pm

johnnybloom wrote:Interesting article, I have not read the book(another to add to my ONBC list :banghead: ) But now I want to even more.

You will LOVE the book! And I think you willl be able to handle it...
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

Anna

Unread postby Anna » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:57 pm

Nature knows no indecencies; man invents them.
-Mark Twain, Notebook, 1935

Obscenity is not a quality inherent in a book or picture, but is solely and exclusively a contribution of the reading mind, and hence cannot be defined in terms of the qualities of a book or picture.
-Theodore Schroeder

To limit the press is to insult a nation; to prohibit reading of certain books is to declare the inhabitants to be either fools or slaves.
-Claude-Adrien Helvétius

The dirtiest book of all is the expurgated book.
-Walt Whitman
One minute I’m mushing along with the huskies as usual, and all of a sudden it’s global warming.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:39 pm

Anna wrote:Nature knows no indecencies; man invents them.
-Mark Twain, Notebook, 1935

Obscenity is not a quality inherent in a book or picture, but is solely and exclusively a contribution of the reading mind, and hence cannot be defined in terms of the qualities of a book or picture.
-Theodore Schroeder

To limit the press is to insult a nation; to prohibit reading of certain books is to declare the inhabitants to be either fools or slaves.
-Claude-Adrien Helvétius

The dirtiest book of all is the expurgated book.
-Walt Whitman

:applause:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:00 pm

Very nice quotes, Anna. I for one hope the publicity surrounding the removal of the book simply motivates more people to read it!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

SamIam

Unread postby SamIam » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:11 pm

This reminds me of when Catcher in The Rye when they pulled that book for the mere suggestion of sex. In the book Holden spends the night in a hotel with a prostitute but NOTHING happens but the mere suggestion of sex got it pulled. :-?
Ambition without inspiration is like a boat on dry land.

the future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Endora

Unread postby Endora » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:19 pm

Has anyone read the book here? Is it explicit? Or just suggestive?
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

Anna

Unread postby Anna » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:20 pm

I just ordered it from Amazon! Been meaning to for a long time and this article was the best reason to finally go ahead and get it.
I will certainly have my now 13-year-old read it as soon as his English is good enough. He liked the film!
Most 12+ Playstation games or cartoons have more mentally detrimental elements for young (and older) people than any book. It's all in the reader's mind. Not training teenagers as readers so that they won't be able to interpret writings and form their own opinion is what's criminal, I think!
Sorry to have this little rant but this really infuriates me.

SamIam

Unread postby SamIam » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:26 pm

Anna wrote:I just ordered it from Amazon! Been meaning to for a long time and this article was the best reason to finally go ahead and get it.
I will certainly have my now 13-year-old read it as soon as his English is good enough. He liked the film!
Most 12+ Playstation games or cartoons have more mentally detrimental elements for young (and older) people than any book. It's all in the reader's mind. Not training teenagers as readers so that they won't be able to interpret writings and form their own opinion is what's criminal, I think!
Sorry to have this little rant but this really infuriates me.

I agree with you. The violence in video games is way worse than a book. A book broadens your vocabulary and stimulates your imagination.
Ambition without inspiration is like a boat on dry land.

the future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Return to “What's Eating Gilbert Grape”