It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 3 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: TPAOL Question #20 - Johnny
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:51 am 
JDZ Moderator

How would you cast Johnny?

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:33 am 

There is a difference in how I might cast Johnny and who Johnny would want to play. I think he would want to be Samarin because he loves the challenge and Samarin is a chameleon type which Johnny would be good at. I think he would play him as love lost for Katya and truly believing in his cause with sort of an alter ego of the Mohican.
I have to admit when reading the book, many times I could see Johnny in Balashov. The sexy young officer falling in love with Anna. I think Johnny could really convey his total revulsion of the acts of war and going somewhat over the edge. Johnny likes freaky parts and although I find it hard to see Johnny as a castrate, I can certainly see him as saving his wife and son for love in the end. That said, I would still go for Samarin because he is so much of a challenge.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:40 am 
JDZ Moderator

I agree with you, Gemini, that he would choose to play Samarin. But I would like to see him as Matula. I could so see him playing that role while I was reading the book. He could pull off the smart alecky remarks and provide some comic relief. And he could probably make me find some sympathy for the man. I think if I could actually picture Matula so young and with red hair, then Johnny wouldn't work in that part. But I could never picture Matula that way.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:42 am 

I think he could have the pick of any of these characters. I think he would bring to each and everyone of them his unique characterisation.
Not sure if he would or should play Samarin as his actual part in the book seemed smaller than I expected it to be. I think my personal preference would be Mutz, but I can't recall now if it was said how old he was.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:16 pm 

I remember Gemini mentioned she considered Balashov, which I hadn't considered before she had mentioned it. Johnny would be great doing Balashov, but I don't see him going for the highly religious roles. Then there's the self mutilation, which Johnny would have enough emotion for, and the sacrificing oneself for the family where I think Johnny would be fabulous in.

However, that said, Samarin has the makings of a great self sacrifice for a cause that goes beyond families. If Johnny were to take the part, I figure they would remake the movie to include a little more family living far away for Samarin. Then I can see a George Jung type charachter on the horizon. I can see Johnny really throwing himself out there, so to speak, in order to show the passion that Samarin has for the revolution.

Yeah, even though he'd be good at Balashov, Samarin's my choice, and Orlando will be out of work, so Orli would fit in nicely as Balashov.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:41 pm 

My vote is for Matula and second choice would be Samarin. I agree with Liz that I don't see the young, curly red haired Johnny ( think of the first look in Chocolat! :-O ). The film maker could certainly change the look of the character and I think Johnny could do wonders with that character.

GG, I had not thought of him as Mutz, but that is an interesting possibility! :cool:

Hold on to Orli, Depputante! We will be casting the rest of the movie tomorrow!
:capnjack:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:26 pm 

I would like to see Johnny do Balahov. It is the character that I found with a tremendous amount of turmoil inside him and I saw the largest character arc in him in the book.
Second choice would be Samarin. He has that wierdness that Johnny seems to like, although Samarin doesn't seem to have a very big part of the story. And we all know the movies where Johnny has the biggest part are the best! Do you suppose he would listen to his "bosses"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:16 pm 

Lady Jill wrote:
Do you suppose he would listen to his "bosses"?

If you mean us... his bosses and I think you do. That might be difficult because we are not of one accord upon his role. :-/
But, no worse for wear... all good.

I really have been wanting to know what you all think about this!! Thanks for asking the question.
In the beginning of the book, of course I saw Johnny as Samarin but then became confused when the book presented some other well developed characters. Suddenly, he was Balashov upon a horse saving Anna and then their beautiful wedding night. This must be him.
I really want to know what the screenwriter is going to do with it and now, I long to listen in on those conversations as Johnny, the Producer of this work pronounces his desires and directions!!! Or dang just get to see this as a film! I'm not greedy, am I?
Writing a screenplay is a different task than writing a book and today as we remember Hunter S. Thompson, some of you may have heard Hunter say when asked, why he wasn't writing the screenplay for Fear and Loathing. His response was that he wasn't a screenwriter. Humble that! Seems simple, good man to know himself.
The development of this into a film would be a fine tightrope act to watch.
Will the tension of the film be having the audience enchanted and then pow, didn't see that coming! Like most of us didn't. Or will the focus be on the deep and mysterious perspectives dealing with the quesition of good and evil, spirit and human milled together in time of war and desperation. Will, Johnny stay very true to the book and create it as a equally based cast or will he create it to pull one of the male characters into a undeniable lead?
Mahalo Fini!

Last edited by Xaxis on Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:29 pm 

Samarin, without doubt. There's something of Sands about him.

Solace in the flood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:14 pm 

I want to see him play Samarin. My guess is he'd choose Balashov, but I'm not sure why. As soon as I read the part where we are told Samarin gives people his full attention - well that was Johnny, for me. The trouble is, I can't imagine anyone else playing Balashov - but that is not unusual for me. I am hopeless at the casting questions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:11 pm 

That is a good point about Samarin, suec. He is such a chameleon he could definitely show us all the different sides of Samarin.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:18 pm 
JDZ Web Designer

I think I'm going to agree with Gilbert’s Girl on this one. My personal preference would be to see Johnny portray Mutz. Although his character isn’t flashy, he does interact with all the characters in the story. He kind of reminds me of Gilbert Grape or Edward Scissorhands or even Roux – characters who reacted to the stories instead of leading them.

Of course, Johnny would do well in any part that he played, but I would love to see him in the scene on the train, where Mutz thought he was going to be executed and has the revelation of life and death that we discussed in yesterday’s question. Seeing the play of emotions across Johnny’s face in that moment would be an amazing thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:29 pm 

I'd also like to see him play the Shaman. I think Johnny could really develop it well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:46 pm 

I think he could do a lot with that role too, Depputante! I think it should be expanded if that is the case! :lol:

Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:45 pm 

My first thought when I started reading was Johnny as the Shaman. I think he'd make a beautiful and intriguing shaman. But yes, it's a pretty small role in terms of screentime and it is nice to see more of Johnny. :-)

Hmmm... I can't decide between Mutz and Balashov. Or Samarin.. oh, I don't know! There are aspects of each man that Johnny would do perfectly. Plus you never know what new ideas and skills Johnny has up his sleeve and I'd love for him to completely surprise us!

Page 1 of 3 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2, 3  Next