TPAOL Question #23 ~ And in the end...

by James Meek

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:13 am

suec, I had completely forgotten about Alyosha's dream! I wish I had time to go back and read it a second time to pick up all the clues you all have been able to pick up on a second reading. I agree that Anna knew when she took his picture. I cheered him on too, Lady Jill although I still wasn't sure exactly what he was up to! :dunce:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Lady Jill

Unread postby Lady Jill » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:00 pm

Gilbert's Girl and suec:
Being a horse person I caught the black escaping right away. Horses that are bred and raised in captivity are connected to people, know that that is where they get fed, and being a very social animal go looking for other horses. This black didn't just disappear into the woods! The black ran the other way - alive. I believe it was one of the first clues of Meek's that would be carried into and to the end of the book.
Balahov proved he was very "into horses" and Anna knew that. Matula didn't. The pretense of "giving" him a horse in the end was all pre-planned by Balahov.

Now I'm out to hug my horses and feed them!
:cool: Lady Jill
" After we're gone, the only thing that matters is the love we left behind."

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:06 pm

I thought the same thing, Lady Jill, that the black escaped for a reason but never could figure it out. Have fun with your horses! :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

dharma_bum

Unread postby dharma_bum » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:36 pm

Samarin and Balashov were incredibly selfish and deluded beings given the fact that they were both trying to save mankind. I think the ending was about the self-awareness, forgiveness and how people choose to move on. Both men faced the man in the mirror: Balashov couldn’t live with what he saw, Samarin could. Balashov saw martyrdom as his only path for redemption, and I was not at all surprised by that.
"You can't broom out your head. You certainly can't broom out your heart. And there's a hot wire between them, and everything shows in the eyes."
—Johnny Depp

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:51 pm

dharma_bum wrote: I think the ending was about the self-awareness, forgiveness and how people choose to move on.

I think you are right, Db. Anna forgave Balashov, Mutz forgave Anna, and Balashov forgave Samarin and Anna. I think they all opened their eyes to their behaviors, shortcomings, needs, wants and purposes. And each, in their own way, moved on. :cool:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:19 pm

Ah, the dichotomy of good and evil! There had to be a show-down between those two manifestations (Bal and Mat) and the horse was the only logical vehicle since it represented the whole masculine-power thing and at the same time represented the natural/animal world that both men had violated with their actions.
Leading up to that scene, it was the rescuing/saving of the child, IMO, that brought everyone to their senses and allowed them to see themselves and the others in their true light. All previous deceptions disappeared and the 'real' or 'true' character of each person showed up, crystal clear. What each of them did from then on was a result of that sudden revelation.
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa
savvy avi by mamabear

Return to “The People's Act of Love”