TPAOL Question #21 ~ Casting

by James Meek

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

TPAOL Question #21 ~ Casting

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:41 am

Let's cast the movie. What say you?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:03 am

I couldn't see anyone for the parts while reading except for Johnny being able to play any other roles, so will be interested to see what others think.

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:06 pm

I'm never any good at these casting questions, either, but I've had an extremely boring morning at work so far and have been thinking about it. I never did make up my mind yesterday which role I'd like to see Johnny play, but I guess I've joined the Mutz advocates.

Here's a couple I really like: Iggy Pop as the Shaman and Andy Serkis as the albino Tunga. I always pictured the albino as being on the fringe of the forest - now you see him, now you don't - and climbing on the rocks, etc. And Serkis moved so wonderfully to create Gollum that I think he would be perfect.

What about Anne Hathaway for Anna? I've only seen her in Brokeback Mountain, so I'm not sure what her acting abilities are, but she has the dark, just-a-tad-off, beauty to be Anna.

I would like to see Jake Gyllenhaal as Matula. I know, we'd have to forget the red hair for him, too, but his eyes!

For Balashov I might pick Phillip Seymour Hoffman. Since we see him mostly as a castrate, we need someone who has gone a bit soft and puffy for most of the time. And I know he has the acting chops to carry off this role superbly.

Anyway, that's my thoughts for now!

Edit: Oops, I forgot my Samarin. What about Clive Owen for him?
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

Depputante

Unread postby Depputante » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:17 pm

Well, I have a strong image in my head of Orlando as Balashov, so Johnny ought to be Samarin. Then the idea of Iggy pop as a Shaman is fabulous. Or even Keith Richards, since he's made his debut, he might take a liking to acting.

Anna, I go for the European look, not necessarily thin, but dark haired, roundish face, but am thinking the "Ugly Betty" tv program type. Her name is America Ferrera if you need to google her. Shorter, a little stout, but would have a true eye for the camera hobby, and talent to see things as they really are.
“The scariest enemy is from within. Allowing yourself to be limited and conform to what you're expected to conform to.”~JD

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:33 pm

Casting - round #1:
Samarin: JD
Balashov: Heath Ledger
Mutz: Jeff Daniels
Matula: Benicio del Toro
Anna: Kate Blanchett
Shaman: William Hurt
Albino: Golum
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa
savvy avi by mamabear

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:51 pm

Casting TPAOL
I have already given this some thought since someone hinted earlier that it was coming. I know that a film can't have all top stars but I can dream.. These came to mind first but if I continue to thing about it , I could think of a totally different group.

Samarin- I think this is what Johnny wants as his part and he would do it well. I can see him as the youth who seduces all around him or the long hair scruffy prisoner in the woods but please not as the bald lover of Anna.

Katya- I think Kate Wenslet.

Anna- I see Angelina Jolie. She is beautiful and can be sexual and detached and obsessed with her own goals. She is headstrong and would chase after Balshlov and try to force him back to her.

Balashov- I thought of Heath Leger. He is handsome but can be vulnerable and then reclaim himself in the end

Broucek - As I said before dark gypy looks with inky eyes... That sure sounds like Johnny to me but alas... who else.
Maybe Antonio Bandares.

Mutz- I see Ben Cross. Anyone remember him in Chariots of Fire?

Matula - Christopher Walken or William Defoe.

Sergeant Nikovar - Leonardo DiCaprio, he can be quite a character actor and it would be so sad watching him die with Anna consoling him..

Anna's Mother - Mary Steenburgen is a great character actor who could play the wife carrying on resentful of her deserting husband. She needs to look like she could have a beautiful daughter.

Anna's Father - John Voight. I can see him as a painter afraid of his position in life and finally rebelling and halfheartedly joining the resistance. He also could be blind to his family and think of himself as casanova with younger women.

Racansky and Bublik- Samarin jailors who gave their candle to him and had no light. Joaquin Phoenix and Sean Penn.

Lieutenant Kliment who seduces the maid Pelageya Fedotovna in the kitchen and later is killed. I think Casper Van Dien who played Christina Ricci's first boyfriend in Sleepy Hollow. Might as well be good looking for a romp in the kitchen with Helena Bonham Carter(from CATCF for the maid.

Alyosha- Haley Joel Osment who was so good as the little boy in "Pay it Forward".

I did this last night but I see Parlez and I had the same idea for Balashov. :cool:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:11 pm

Gemini, Kate Winslet is a good one for Katya, but I also thought of Ellen Page (Hard Candy). She looks quite young, but is an extremely good actress who I think can pull it off. I’m glad you brought up the minor characters. I still need to think on those and Mutz.

Shaman – Iggy Pop – good choice, Bix

Balashov – I'm with ya, Depputante - Orlie

Albino - Ben Whishaw (Grenouille in Perfume)

Anna – Scarlet Johanson or Charlize Theron

Samarin – Johnny or Brad Pitt. This role needs a very attractive, sexy actor who can look young or older, but who can also act.

Matula – Johnny or Benicio - good choice, Parlez

Katya – Ellen Page
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Depputante

Unread postby Depputante » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:48 pm

Wow. Everyone has such great ideas! I'm left in the wind, looking up those names on Google search! :lol: I like this casting much better than our last novel. :-O Heath Ledger is handsome! Where did he come from? :-)
“The scariest enemy is from within. Allowing yourself to be limited and conform to what you're expected to conform to.”~JD

Linda Lee

Unread postby Linda Lee » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:22 pm

My cast list:
Samarin - Johnny Depp
Balashov - James Caviezel
Mutz - Goran Visnjic
Matula - Jonathan Jackson
Anna - Liv Tyler
Katya - Maria Bello
Anna's Father - Christpher Walken
Shaman - Lou Diamond Phillips
Alyosha - Freddy Highmore
Pelagaya - Kate Beckinsale
Broucek - Antonio Banderas
Golbunin - Jack Davenport
Uncle Pavel - Ian McKellan
Albino - ?
Serenity is not freedom from the storm but peace within the storm. ~ Unknown

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:33 pm

Linda Lee wrote:My cast list:
Mutz - Goran Visnjic

Goran Visnjic! That's it! I'm sold. :applause: I like the idea of James Caviezel, too.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

suec

Unread postby suec » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:04 pm

This film offers real potential for an exciting ensemble cast. I don't have the necessary imagination for it and I am dithering again now but so far:-
Kevin Bacon for Mutz. I think he's a quality actor and I loved him in Mystic River. What was happening to the others showed in his watchful face.
Guy Pearce for Balashov - I think. He has a chameleon quality which would be useful and could portray the relevant qualities. e.g fervent, self-righteous. Rather dashing too on horseback.
Anna I am still unsure about. I keep thinking of actresses who are the wrong age. But at the moment, I am thinking of Cameron Diaz.
Gary Oldman would have to go in somewhere. He could do Matula or the shaman very easily. I also like the idea of Steve Buscemi.
If Matula is younger, then I would say Cillian Murphy. I do find it harder to imagine Matula as a younger man, but if so, I think he could pull it off.
Steven Macintosh for Nekovar. He's another of my favourites since I saw him in our Mutual Friend and Twelfth Night. A real chameleon actor. But the last thing I saw him in was The Land Girls. Having seen that, I think he's be perfect in the role.
Well, this is my dream team of a cast, including Johnny, that I would like to see all together in the same film! They don't necessarily have to play these parts. In fact, I am less sure about Johnny for Samarin than I was. They could swap them round between them and I'd be happy.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:26 pm

Liz wrote:
Linda Lee wrote:My cast list:
Mutz - Goran Visnjic

Goran Visnjic! That's it! I'm sold. :applause: I like the idea of James Caviezel, too.

Wow, great idea! You two have convinced me. Visnjic for Mutz it is! Guess I'll have to switch Johnny back to Samarin in my list!
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

Lady Jill

Unread postby Lady Jill » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:15 pm

OK Here's my choices! :bounce:

Samarin - Allan Rickman
Katya - Mary Stewart Masterson
Shaman - Christopher Walken
Balashov - Johnny Depp
Mutz - Jack Davenport
Matula - Joaquin Phoenix
Anna -- Kate Blanchett
Alyosha - Freddy Highmore

Think of all these together!!! I'd be the first in line! :popcorn:

Lady Jill
" After we're gone, the only thing that matters is the love we left behind."

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:53 pm

Wow, You all have brought up some great actors that hadn't occured to me.

Linda Lee , I think you have the best choice for Balashov, I hadn't thought of James Caviezel but he would be perfect.

Suec, I think Gary Oldman would be great as the Shamen. I love Steve Buscemi and now that I think of it, I think he would be great as Sergeant Nekovar always tinkering and fixing things. I can just see him trying to figure out the female anatomy! :lol:
Matula is only 24 yrs old, so Cillian Murphy is not a bad choice.

Lady Jill, I love Alan Richman and would love to see him in the film but he is not how I pictured Samarin. Maybe he could be the leader of the Red army that holds Mutz on the train.

I thought of someone for the albino, Paul Bettany who plays the albino in The Da Vinci Code.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Amaranth

Unread postby Amaranth » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:11 pm

The only one I can think of off the top of my head is

Anna - Rachel Weisz

And I'd love Johnny to take the role of Balashov.

:cloud9:

Return to “The People's Act of Love”