It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




 Page 2 of 3 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:57 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:02 pm
Posts: 2464
Location: Aboard the Black Pearl
When I started reading the book, I saw Johnny as Samarin, then Balashov entered the picture and I saw possibilities in that part as well. GG mentioned him playing Mutz and I think he would be great in that part as well (except none of us would believe Anna letting him go!). I would cast him as Samarin, because there are so many different and challenging facets to his personality.



_________________________________________________________
Serenity is not freedom from the storm but peace within the storm. ~ Unknown
Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:00 pm 
JDZ Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Posts: 12502
Location: The Left Coast
Maybe he could just play all of the roles—like Mike Myers does. :lol: But seriously….

Xaxis, I too, initially saw Johnny as the Samarin character. And I can see him as being able to show the different sides of Samarin, DITHOT. Plus, I agree with you, Endora, that Samarin is very Sandsian. But once I started reading about Matula, that was it for me. But now, after reading what everyone has written, I think it’s a toss-up for me.



_________________________________________________________
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:36 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:15 pm
Posts: 20592
Location: near Omaha
Liz wrote:
I agree with you, Gemini, that he would choose to play Samarin. But I would like to see him as Matula. I could so see him playing that role while I was reading the book. He could pull off the smart alecky remarks and provide some comic relief. And he could probably make me find some sympathy for the man. I think if I could actually picture Matula so young and with red hair, then Johnny wouldn't work in that part. But I could never picture Matula that way.


Liz, Matula was my first thought, too. Obviously Samarin is the meaty complex role, at least on the surface, but I think Matula presents a real challenge, to find motivation, to make him human......


Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:38 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:15 pm
Posts: 20592
Location: near Omaha
Depputante wrote:
I remember Gemini mentioned she considered Balashov, which I hadn't considered before she had mentioned it. Johnny would be great doing Balashov, but I don't see him going for the highly religious roles. Then there's the self mutilation, which Johnny would have enough emotion for, and the sacrificing oneself for the family where I think Johnny would be fabulous in.

However, that said, Samarin has the makings of a great self sacrifice for a cause that goes beyond families. If Johnny were to take the part, I figure they would remake the movie to include a little more family living far away for Samarin. Then I can see a George Jung type charachter on the horizon. I can see Johnny really throwing himself out there, so to speak, in order to show the passion that Samarin has for the revolution.

Yeah, even though he'd be good at Balashov, Samarin's my choice, and Orlando will be out of work, so Orli would fit in nicely as Balashov.


Eunoch?????????? :biglaugh:


Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:46 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:15 pm
Posts: 20592
Location: near Omaha
I think Johnny could do justice to any role in this book, from Samarin to Mutz to the albino.........there are lots of interesting characters in this book.........even the landlord, who none of us could even figure out what he was doing in this story........is there something there that Johnny could make something of?????? A small part but......weird!

Matula definitely catches my fancy. I think Johnny would make a fabulous Samarin, but that is too easy, too commercial......but Oh! How I would enjoy the journey to the White Garden with him!


Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:39 am 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:43 pm
Posts: 10376
Location: Austin
I had a thought about the landlord. Was he there to represent the bourgeois class or else people who stood by and did nothing while chaos swirled around them? At the end his house is confiscated and there is a comment about him being the lone representative of the upper class or something along those lines. (Sorry, don't have time to find it before I"m out the door to work...) Don't know...just a thought and we don't have a question on him so feel free to add your thoughts.



_________________________________________________________
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!
Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:19 am 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:02 pm
Posts: 2464
Location: Aboard the Black Pearl
Diithot - here's the quote.
pg. 284
Quote:
The Land Captain and his wife were made examples of as the only available representatives of the opressor class. their home was seized and they were thrown out.



It seems he was there to represent the upper class, and from his earlier behavior, allowing Matula and his wife to conduct a blatent affair in his own home, with no pretense, directly in front of him, perhaps he represented another type of castrate. He was stripped of any power he had before Bondarenko and the Reds showed up.



_________________________________________________________
Serenity is not freedom from the storm but peace within the storm. ~ Unknown
Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:22 am 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:43 pm
Posts: 10376
Location: Austin
Thanks, Linda Lee! :cool:



_________________________________________________________
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!
Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:28 pm 

Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:37 pm
Posts: 1406
Location: VA
OK, tongue in cheek here...he's always looking for a way to stretch his acting skills...let's let him play all three..I know he could do a better job than Eddie Murphy.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:30 pm 

Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:37 pm
Posts: 1406
Location: VA
Linda Lee wrote:
Diithot - here's the quote.
pg. 284
Quote:
The Land Captain and his wife were made examples of as the only available representatives of the opressor class. their home was seized and they were thrown out.



It seems he was there to represent the upper class, and from his earlier behavior, allowing Matula and his wife to conduct a blatent affair in his own home, with no pretense, directly in front of him, perhaps he represented another type of castrate. He was stripped of any power he had before Bondarenko and the Reds showed up.


Interesting point...I never until you mentioned it, thought that the Land Captain might be a castrate...and that plays into him sitting there and tolerating his wife's adultry...for he made the choice to end his relationship with her.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:14 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:02 pm
Posts: 2464
Location: Aboard the Black Pearl
Charlene , I'm sorry if I wasn't clear, I didn't mean that he was actually a castrate, but that Matula virtually castrated him.



_________________________________________________________
Serenity is not freedom from the storm but peace within the storm. ~ Unknown
Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:35 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:15 pm
Posts: 20592
Location: near Omaha
Linda Lee wrote:
Charlene , I'm sorry if I wasn't clear, I didn't mean that he was actually a castrate, but that Matula virtually castrated him.


Either way, it is an interesting observation. I remember at the time I read that section, I wondered what was up with him ignoring/allowing that behavior in his home.........


Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:05 am 

Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:37 pm
Posts: 1406
Location: VA
nebraska wrote:
Linda Lee wrote:
Charlene , I'm sorry if I wasn't clear, I didn't mean that he was actually a castrate, but that Matula virtually castrated him.


Either way, it is an interesting observation. I remember at the time I read that section, I wondered what was up with him ignoring/allowing that behavior in his home.........


Linda Lee, I understood what you wrote, but that started me thinking, and Nebraska...I had the same thoughts too...but didn't put two and two together, and Linda Lee made me think, perhaps that was the problem.

p.s. Linda Lee - I had a suite mate in college by that name, LOL.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:49 am 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:02 pm
Posts: 2464
Location: Aboard the Black Pearl
Quote:
Linda Lee, I understood what you wrote, but that started me thinking, and Nebraska...I had the same thoughts too...but didn't put two and two together, and Linda Lee made me think, perhaps that was the problem.

p.s. Linda Lee - I had a suite mate in college by that name, LOL



Sorry, I misunderstood. :blush:
The Land Captain's lack of response bothered me too.

Interesting coincidence that your suite mate in college and I share the same name.



_________________________________________________________
Serenity is not freedom from the storm but peace within the storm. ~ Unknown
Offline
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:01 am 
JDZ Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Posts: 12502
Location: The Left Coast
Charlene wrote:
nebraska wrote:
Linda Lee wrote:
Charlene , I'm sorry if I wasn't clear, I didn't mean that he was actually a castrate, but that Matula virtually castrated him.


Either way, it is an interesting observation. I remember at the time I read that section, I wondered what was up with him ignoring/allowing that behavior in his home.........


Linda Lee, I understood what you wrote, but that started me thinking, and Nebraska...I had the same thoughts too...but didn't put two and two together, and Linda Lee made me think, perhaps that was the problem.

p.s. Linda Lee - I had a suite mate in college by that name, LOL.


I figured he knew, but let it go on because Matula had some sort of hold over him.



_________________________________________________________
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


phpBB skin developed by: John Olson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group